Two-Faced ASL Interpreter ?

"Worth $100,000" hahahahahahahaha.
Aside from the fact that it was probably a figure of speech, why do you find this funny? I would say that learning about ASL and deaf culture from a deaf person is practically invaluable. Of course it is more beneficial if it's in conjunction with an ITP, but I wouldn't underestimate the value of what this man taught his friend.

I guess I just don't understand the attitude behind your response to this thread. :confused:

One thing this man's friend does not seem to realize is that if he is a friend, he shouldn't take the interpreting job in the first place! Sure, many terps interpret for their friends now and then, I do it all the time. But if it is going to be something serious or confidential, that friend shouldn't be accepting the assignment. They have a conflict of interest because they are friends with the client. Friends FIRST = stay friends.

I suppose from an Agency perspective if a terp socializes at deaf events, why they are just giving there services away for free and we aren't getting our cut.

Or maybe I am just being cynical. I hope I am just being cynical.

That sounds pretty mercenary to me but I'll say this, there are definitely some agencies that are in it primarily for the money.

Another idea is that an agency could be overseen by someone without any knowledge of the deaf community or Deaf culture, and who doesn't realize what a slap in the face this is to deaf people.

For example, some interpreting agencies are run by other service organizations, and also there are some companies that do all kinds of spoken-language interpreting and also have sign language interpreters. In both cases a person like this could have control over unwise policies due to lack of special knowledge of the deaf community.

What a shame... of course, I can understand the necessity to have boundaries in relationships with clients (a must in all fields of work, anyway), but turning back on someone who took the valuable time to teach and even support 'em? :ugh3: That is an embarassment to the interpreting industry. No wonder some peeps run away from some ASL students. It's not nice being a tool or a joyride, and then be treated like someone else's unwanted cousin or embarassing secret.

Aside from the fact that it was probably a figure of speech, why do you find this funny? I would say that learning about ASL and deaf culture from a deaf person is practically invaluable. Of course it is more beneficial if it's in conjunction with an ITP, but I wouldn't underestimate the value of what this man taught his friend.

I guess I just don't understand the attitude behind your response to this thread. :confused:

I agree.. time and sharing experience are priceless! I'll say that interpreter friend got top quality 100% field training and personal tutoring time. Far more expensive than classroom tuition with 15 aspiring interpreters?

Such Deaf mentors should be given all the credit and recognization.... :)

If people wanted me to teach them sign language, I'd tell them to take a class. I could not believe that my co worker wanted me to take 15 minutes of my time to teach her sign language everyday!! Sure, maybe a few mins.. but 15 mins!!! That is just audacity and cheap. As if I don't have tons of work to do! I do make an exception for my significant other and family, though.

I don't know about getting the interpreter fired BUT I do know that bad opinions of individual interpreters can spread fast throughout the local Deaf community, and that terp won't be on many "please call" preferred lists.

this interpreter should be fired??? good question.

I have similiar experience like this. since poor deaf man taught this interpreter very well. later interpreter changed the heart about money.

as if interpreter refuses to work with deaf client and just want money, deaf clients can file complaint against this interpreter for refuse to interpret. I believe it can be 75% chance to get fired which this interpreter refuses to work with deaf clients.

once complaint to RID or deaf community service center, they may suspend interpreter certification and possible termination too. if RID fails, all of you will go to court and wait for vertify which interpreter is found guilty... Interpreter is required to pay $100,000 for damage

if interpreter says "I don't have this kind money" it means you have a right to take everything what you want for your satisfication from interpreter because interpreter's lawyer is no longer protecting the interpreter from deaf client and court order is full take action.

Garrett

if interpreter says "I don't have this kind money" it means you have a right to take everything what you want for your satisfication from interpreter because interpreter's lawyer is no longer protecting the interpreter from deaf client and court order is full take action.
This is not accurate. The lawyer does not protect the interpreter from anyone at anytime. If a deaf client tried to take action directly against an interpreter, the victim could sue for assault, theft, or whatever else the person did to them. It is NOT the deaf person's business to "take everything they want for their satisfaction" like you said. That is something the COURT must do. I would bet that if the deaf person went anywhere near the interpreter to try to "get something back" it would backfire on them instantly. If the interpreter does not have $100,000 it is NOT the deaf person's job to figure it out. The COURT does that.

Also, the very idea that somebody could be fired and taken to court for taking the Code of Professional Conduct TOO SERIOUSLY just astonishes me. The vlog describes a personal issue, it has nothing to do with following the rules. The deaf man cannot sue the interpreter because he won't be friends anymore.

Yes, this "interpreter" did wrong. Nobody is disputing that.
I just have never understood the mentality that interpreters owe Deaf people. Interpreting is a career. Like any other career, it is a give and take relationship. There is a demand for it, we are the supply. You get my services, I'm paid. Not to mention, most Deaf people have NO idea what interpreting entails. All they know is the half they see. I get agitated when im "taking advantage of them" because I'm getting paid to interpret (and not even by them.) A doctor doesn't OWE his patients. It is the same kind of relationship. Forgive me if my disdain for that kind of attitude comes out everytime I see it.

It has happened to me before but not related to an interpreter. It was an advocate for the deaf. He wouldn't hang out with me because I'm a client of the advocate. Weird, I know.

One of the comments posted stated that it occured a short time after the interpretator became ceritfied and that it could be possible the terp is struggling between personal and professional boundaries. It is possible that could be the case, perhaps?

I imagine it's probably likely. The friend probably isn't trying to blow him off, but is just unsure of what can get him/her "fired".

One of the comments posted stated that it occured a short time after the interpretator became ceritfied and that it could be possible the terp is struggling between personal and professional boundaries. It is possible that could be the case, perhaps?

That was the exact same thought that I had! I am a new interpreter, and though not yet certified, I am interpreting in a professional capacity. It is a difficult line to figure out! You don't want to draw the line too much and lose your friends, but you also don't want to be too friendly and be violating the CPC--when trying to figure out what professional means, I believe EVERY person has their ups and downs in any field, but it is more difficult when you are in the Deaf community and everyone knows each other-- they "watch you grow up"

I am almost positive that the new interpreter will come around, if they were really friends in the first place. I don't think the relationship could have gone on that long if they hadn't had SOME kind of relationship, because both of them would have been bored and had nothing to talk about. Good luck to both of them!

Back