TTY/Phone, or TTY-only?

I think on cell phones TTY uses voice minutes. I don't have those. Is that wrong?

yes, you'll have to add voice plan with it. Whatever works for her. If she is on the go girl who make alot of phone calls, cellphone is a way to go.

yes, you'll have to add voice plan with it. Whatever works for her. If she is on the go girl who make alot of phone calls, cellphone is a way to go.

I don't make any voice calls on my phone at the moment because i can't. And if i have a landline I will probably continue that trend. Do the couplers work well? Like, if i just get a TTY and stick it beside the regular phone, would that work just as well as a uniphone? or would it be worth it in that case to just get the uniphone?
Or i guess if i got a cell phone one with the couplers, then i could just leave it beside and use it when i need to.
*EQL*

it would be worthless if you are using a uniphone because uniphone works like a regular phone until someone turn the tty on. Now if you are getting a regular tty that can hook up directly to your phoneline, you might need it.

I don't make any voice calls on my phone at the moment because i can't.
I mean making alot of phone calls using your TTY or relay service (relay service help you talk to hearing people who don't have a tty)

You should go by your local Vocational Rehab for the deaf (a gov't program that help the deaf) and talk to them. they should help you decide.

Looks like I'm a bit late to the discussion here, but ...

I have the Ultratech Uniphone 1140 both at work and at home, and let me say it works fine. It's a great phone because you can use it as a TTY or a normal phone at any time.

The biggest drawback to it is that there is no caller ID display, so you don't know who is calling. Also, as Lighthouse 77 points out, there is no way of telling whether an incoming call is using the TTY relay service or not. Additionally, there is no flashing indicator for voice-mail messages; you have to actually pick-up the handset to tell if you've got voice-mail waiting.

On the plus side, evil queen, as you live in Ontario, you should know that Bell Canada offers, like, a 75% discount on long-distance calls if you call through the Bell Relay System. Can't complain about that!

All in all, I've had no problems with the Ultratech 1140, and I'd recommend one to anybody.

it would be worthless if you are using a uniphone because uniphone works like a regular phone until someone turn the tty on. Now if you are getting a regular tty that can hook up directly to your phoneline, you might need it.

I mean making alot of phone calls using your TTY or relay service (relay service help you talk to hearing people who don't have a tty)

You should go by your local Vocational Rehab for the deaf (a gov't program that help the deaf) and talk to them. they should help you decide.

making a lot of phone calls is a relative term i guess. Calls that I would make through relay would be to people i dont know (banks, pizza, maybe some work clients). Family i would probably still talk to on the phone since my grandparents are the only ones i talk to anyway.

as for VR.. we don't have that in Ontario. I've been to CHS and they basically said to decide what I want and what i'm willing to pay. Gave a few suggestions, so that's what i'm trying to decide between.

CanadaDan - do you know how it works with Cogeco? I live in an area serviced by cogeco, not Bell, so would the discounts still apply?

*EQL*

No, sorry, I don't have any information about long-distance rates for other companies. I'm talking land-line here, and my basic service is with Bell, though I am signed on with another carrier for regular-voice long-distance calls. Frankly, now that I have the CI, I don't need to use the TTY as often. However, like you, I'm still inclined to use TTY for "formal" or business-related calls.

I suppose every carrier would set-up their own rate scheduled. A discount on a TTY call is reasonable, as the typing does take longer than voice communication, making the call last longer than it otherwise would. Don't forget you've got the VCO option with the Uni 1140, so when you are speaking with a hearing person they can at least hear your voice directly!

BTW, lisa ... prob. doesn't need mentioning, but hopefully the CHS rep explained that ADP will cover 75% of the cost of a TTY phone, provided you get a recommendation from your doctor.

No, sorry, I don't have any information about long-distance rates for other companies. I'm talking land-line here, and my basic service is with Bell, though I am signed on with another carrier for regular-voice long-distance calls. Frankly, now that I have the CI, I don't need to use the TTY as often. However, like you, I'm still inclined to use TTY for "formal" or business-related calls.

I suppose every carrier would set-up their own rate scheduled. A discount on a TTY call is reasonable, as the typing does take longer than voice communication, making the call last longer than it otherwise would. Don't forget you've got the VCO option with the Uni 1140, so when you are speaking with a hearing person they can at least hear your voice directly!

BTW, lisa ... prob. doesn't need mentioning, but hopefully the CHS rep explained that ADP will cover 75% of the cost of a TTY phone, provided you get a recommendation from your doctor.

i've thought about it and don't think LD charges really matter to me. I hardly use LD as it is, i don't see that changing.

they said the audie just needs to fill out the form. I doubt he will say no since the most calling i do with his secretary is to say 'check email' LOL

*EQL*

I am hearing but due to disability I have some speech problems, I was gonna recommend the one that I bought which is the Ameriphone Dialogue IIIP but I did some research and just found out that it has been discontinued, it is a great machine and I think the only function it is not able to do is to make coffee. =oP

I know this is a very late post and I am not sure if it is helpful at all or not but just thought I should put in my 2 cents.

Btw have you emailed Cogeco to find out what the rates are for long distance using a TTY??

I am using Primus and with them I can call for free to most of Canada and the US and now also for an additional $5 I can call totally free to landlines in 50 countries so I have a feeling that my TTY will soon get a lot of work to do as I have some deaf friends who live in Sweden.

I hope this helps and good luck with everything. =o)

Back