tty payphones

CorasMama

Reaction score
I am a recently-LDA, and I had a question about payphones with a tty. I recently needed to make a phone call, and i noticed that the mall where I was had a tty-payphone shown on the directory map. So we went to where it was, and the tty had some sort of metal plate over it, and I couldn't figure out how to access it. I've noticed these before (back when I was hearing), and I'd always wondered how one would access them, but now I really need to know.

THanks for the help.

CorasMama said:
I am a recently-LDA, and I had a question about payphones with a tty. I recently needed to make a phone call, and i noticed that the mall where I was had a tty-payphone shown on the directory map. So we went to where it was, and the tty had some sort of metal plate over it, and I couldn't figure out how to access it. I've noticed these before (back when I was hearing), and I'd always wondered how one would access them, but now I really need to know.

THanks for the help.

Hello CarosMama,

The Payphone with TTY designed for vandalproof. so the Payphone need to dail the phone nbr, and waiting for other party type a TTY signal and your end will open drawer automatically when it's detected of "TTY tones", When you're all done with conversions, hang up the phone and till the Payphone will auto close TTY drawer when the TTY display warning flash "Warning! Drawer closing!".

I rarely use a Pay TTY booth at my hospital clinics or my bank with my phone debit card to call my gf or whoever.. I waited for TTY reply and it's open then I type on TTY..

Basic rule is 4 or more pay phones at a given location like a phone bank, mall, restaurant, or whatever location, ONE must be equipped with a TDD machine.

And I'm not a fan of these Ultratec Box TTY phone booths as CorasMama described as they could easily be mistaken for a bomb attached to a payphone as that what happened in Santa Clarita, California years ago.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Basic rule is 4 or more pay phones at a given location like a phone bank, mall, restaurant, or whatever location, ONE must be equipped with a TDD machine.

And I'm not a fan of these Ultratec Box TTY phone booths as CorasMama described as they could easily be mistaken for a bomb attached to a payphone as that what happened in Santa Clarita, California years ago.

Richard

http://www.deafhh.org/BITS-2001/032001/033101.htm

Can I call a relay service with it, so I can talk to my hearie bf? If so, do I just call the relay service, and then the tty will pop out?

CorasMama said:
Can I call a relay service with it, so I can talk to my hearie bf? If so, do I just call the relay service, and then the tty will pop out?

CorasMama,

Yes, pick up the phone, call the toll-free number for the Relay, when they answer, the drawer will open, at which time you type in the telephone number, then either enter "ga" or there should be a key on the right side above the caps lock key that says, "ga."

You can only dial 711 cost you nothing they will relay for voice or using TTY if you are hearing that you want to talk to relay operator speaks voice for you and relay opr.will typing TTY to deaf person on TTY for you or if you want to use TTY to TTY insert coins in payphone. If you are deaf dial 711 TTY will open itself automatic and relay opr. will typing what number you want them to dial for you. They will dialing the number for you to calling someone who is deaf has TTY. Good Luck!

Back