Trying to Understand the Deaf

I saw that - "plight"

many times people are so ingrained in their own way that they have absolutely no idea about perspective - what their own sayings, portrayals, or actions assume about another group.
It's like the idea of "oh, I don't see color" - the history involving that in the U.S at least, can't NOT have an affect on someone and to put it like I just did negates people's experiences and is itself a comment even if the commenter has totally failed to see it.

I do, yes. When I was using that word, I was specifically thinking of a documentary I recently watched about Alexander Graham Bell and his efforts to not allow the deaf to use hand signals. It seemed very harsh to me that there was such a movement to keep the deaf from communicating through their language. That's what I meant when I used the word plight.

Would you consider that plight?

Do you understand the meaning of the word "plight?"

That kind of wording is liable to bring hostile responses. If you read through this site, you will find that the questions you are posing have been asked over and over again.

So it's not hard to understand if you think about it how tired people can grow when this happens on an almost daily basis.

Really? Try to learn without asking questions. Yep, that's a great way to learn (sarcasm font). I mean, how dare I ask a question, right? Point taken. I won't be doing that anymore. The welcome has been less than kind by many. I wrote this post with an honest heart to understand and learn, and even admitting I am ignorant and I have been met with hostility and rudeness. So, you don't want people to think a certain way about you and your deafness, but if they DARE to try to understand by asking questions then you're going to be sure to put them in their place and make darn sure they know they are stupid. Yep...thanks. That's just wonderful. Good-bye.

Do you have any idea how many people try to use AllDeaf to learn what it like being deaf or HOH and how misinformed they're . If you really what to learn more how about trying to educate yourself before asking misinformed questions. If you going interview someone from another country , I would think you try to learn something about that person country before asking dumb question.

I do, yes. When I was using that word, I was specifically thinking of a documentary I recently watched about Alexander Graham Bell and his efforts to not allow the deaf to use hand signals. It seemed very harsh to me that there was such a movement to keep the deaf from communicating through their language. That's what I meant when I used the word plight.

Would you consider that plight?

Hand signals are something a traffic cop uses. ASL is not hand signals.

Really? Try to learn without asking questions. Yep, that's a great way to learn (sarcasm font). I mean, how dare I ask a question, right? Point taken. I won't be doing that anymore. The welcome has been less than kind by many. I wrote this post with an honest heart to understand and learn, and even admitting I am ignorant and I have been met with hostility and rudeness. So, you don't want people to think a certain way about you and your deafness, but if they DARE to try to understand by asking questions then you're going to be sure to put them in their place and make darn sure they know they are stupid. Yep...thanks. That's just wonderful. Good-bye.

Well, so much for that sincere desire to learn.:laugh2:

You all have successfully proven your point and so degraded me that I am leaving this forum. I do have a desire to learn, but I have no desire to communicate with people who are so jaded and rude, and are nearly abusive to people. I mean, seriously? If you don't want to have a kind interaction with me then why not just ignore my post? Why do you feel the need to belittle me and make fun of me? Even if in my wording I was showing a some kind of bias, isn't it clear by my post that was not my intent? When I said, "Thanks so much again for taking time to read and respond to this. I was nervous posting this because I don't want to seem offensive...I'm not trying to be at all!! :) I'm just curious and I don't have anyone I can ask. Have a good day!" I even added the damn smiley face to show kindness! I understand I am a visitor in this world. I don't know the customs. I don't know what I don't know WHICH IS WHY I ASKED. You have used that as an opportunity to ridicule me, which is a reflection of your character. I pity you NOT because you are deaf or HoH, but because you are just mean for the sake of being mean. KMA.

:wave: See you later.

:hmm:
You all have successfully proven your point and so degraded me that I am leaving this forum. I do have a desire to learn, but I have no desire to communicate with people who are so jaded and rude, and are nearly abusive to people. I mean, seriously? If you don't want to have a kind interaction with me then why not just ignore my post? Why do you feel the need to belittle me and make fun of me? Even if in my wording I was showing a some kind of bias, isn't it clear by my post that was not my intent? When I said, "Thanks so much again for taking time to read and respond to this. I was nervous posting this because I don't want to seem offensive...I'm not trying to be at all!! :) I'm just curious and I don't have anyone I can ask. Have a good day!" I even added the damn smiley face to show kindness! I understand I am a visitor in this world. I don't know the customs. I don't know what I don't know WHICH IS WHY I ASKED. You have used that as an opportunity to ridicule me, which is a reflection of your character. I pity you NOT because you are deaf or HoH, but because you are just mean for the sake of being mean. KMA.
:hmm: Bye again! :wave:

I agree. I don't think it is. What I have been learning is that it is beautiful. The language is beautiful. I had such excitement this morning when I posted this because I thought, "wow...I'm going to met a lot of great people who are going to help me understand this better." I have been slapped in the face and am near tears now. It makes me just want to give up...

That is a plight, yes. Being deaf is not.

I agree. I don't think it is. What I have been learning is that it is beautiful. The language is beautiful. I had such excitement this morning when I posted this because I thought, "wow...I'm going to met a lot of great people who are going to help me understand this better." I have been slapped in the face and am near tears now. It makes me just want to give up...

I thought you said twice so far you are leaving.

Changed your mind?

bye FJ. or CSign. or whoever.

Contradictory post. If you have a desire to learn, you will be grateful when your misperceptions and errors are pointed out so that you can correct them. Since you responded with defensiveness and tried to play the victim card, it is obvious that you have no desire to learn.

What exactly did you expect? That you would recieve praise and gratitude for coming onto a Deaf forum and saying that you wanted to learn about deaf people? That you would be viewed as some sort of hearing savior to the poor disabled deaf? It sure sounds like that is what you expected.

The problem is not with any response you have received. The problem is your attitude. No one here has ridiculed you. But, should you ever decide to try something like this again, just be aware that playing the victim card doesn't go well around here. Nor do attempts to make someone feel sorry for you because the big mean deaf people weren't nice to the poor little hearing person.

Threats only work when the people you are threatening actually care what you do or don't do. So, with that in mind regarding your childish threats to leave...don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.:wave:

:aw:Brandolyn,

no need to to play the victim role. Part of learning is to be able to see others viewpoints and not focus on oneself and one's own expectations.

one aspect of the Deaf community is bluntness. your perspective might be "rude" but you are here now, not where you usually are.

people come all the time and mention that ASL is beautiful and wonderful and so on....ASL is a language, not an orb to seek.

learning requires humility and patience.

Contradictory post. If you have a desire to learn, you will be grateful when your misperceptions and errors are pointed out so that you can correct them. Since you responded with defensiveness and tried to play the victim card, it is obvious that you have no desire to learn.

What exactly did you expect? That you would recieve praise and gratitude for coming onto a Deaf forum and saying that you wanted to learn about deaf people? That you would be viewed as some sort of hearing savior to the poor disabled deaf? It sure sounds like that is what you expected.

The problem is not with any response you have received. The problem is your attitude. No one here has ridiculed you. But, should you ever decide to try something like this again, just be aware that playing the victim card doesn't go well around here. Nor do attempts to make someone feel sorry for you because the big mean deaf people weren't nice to the poor little hearing person.

Threats only work when the people you are threatening actually care what you do or don't do. So, with that in mind regarding your childish threats to leave...don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.:wave:

smells like somebody we know.

Poor wittle Brandolyn. Her is going to cry.:roll:

smells like somebody we know.

It sure does.:hmm: One of them was lurking for awhile, but logged off under the user name we all know shortly before these posts by Brandolyn began.

Don't feel bad. It is just that the questions you ask have been discussed half to death in this forum. I suggest you read up on them by researching the information in here before asking. Seek and ye will find. No biggie.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

Back