Trying to understand the deaf world more

Kris

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to this site and am hoping to meet new people. I am a ASL student and I am taking a deaf culture class. I am hoping that I will be able to learn more about the deaf world. I also am to do an interview with a deaf person. I am really looking forward to this. I enjoy meeting new people and hearing their stories. I am hoping that someone might be willing to chat with me. I have been reading some of the discussions and I am already learing a lot. Thanks for letting me into your world. Just drop me a line if you want to help me understand better.:wave:

Hey, I'm new to this site and am hoping to meet new people. I am a ASL student and I am taking a deaf culture class. I am hoping that I will be able to learn more about the deaf world. I also am to do an interview with a deaf person. I am really looking forward to this. I enjoy meeting new people and hearing their stories. I am hoping that someone might be willing to chat with me. I have been reading some of the discussions and I am already learing a lot. Thanks for letting me into your world. Just drop me a line if you want to help me understand better.:wave:

Hello Kris. I am hearing as well and am originaly from Chicago. There is a lot of opportunity to meet deaf in the area. Enjoy your time here in AD.

Ok. I haven't gotten any takers on the interview yet. I hate doing interviews too. But I'm hoping someone will help me do well in my class. So here are the questions just in case someone changes their minds. This way you have a preview.

-How did you become deaf?
-How did your parents react?
-Are you part of any minority?
-Do brothers, sisters, parents or other family know sign language?
-What type of communication did you use at first and what do you prefer to use now?
-what type of education did you have or are currently getting?
-Where do you work or why don't you work and why?
-What types of activities do you like to do. Ex. theater or sports.....
-What is your view on ASL?
-What is your view on deaf culture?
-What is your view on cochlear implants?
-Do you have a deaf role model. If so who and why?
-What frustrations have you had in your life?
-if you were president what would you change in the hearing world. (I posted this one already and have had some really good suggestions!)
-What do you feel about how the media protrays deaf people?
-What do you feel about mainstreaming?
-What do you think would most benifit hearing people's view of deaf people and how to interact with them?
-What do you think would most benifit the education system for deaf people?

Hopefully this will take the edge off doing an interview and allow you just to type away. I really want to find out about so many things, but this is a start. Include any other information that you feel is important to the understanding of deaf culture. :ty: for any responses no matter what they are!:wave:

Sorry, forgot to say that you can send it privatly if you don't want the world to see. Cheers!

I just wanted to thank those who sent me replies.:ty: All the information was very helpful and I was glad to make some new friends in the process! I appreciate you being able to open up and talk with a stranger who is trying to learn. Best to all you!!! :ty::ty::ty::dance2:

Ok. I haven't gotten any takers on the interview yet. I hate doing interviews too. But I'm hoping someone will help me do well in my class. So here are the questions just in case someone changes their minds. This way you have a preview.

Born with it due to genetics

My mom grieved for a long time and kept asking "Why?" I think she has accepted it now but I can tell a part of her wishes my brother and I were born hearing. My dad just escaped.

U mean race? I am white so I guess not.

Just my deaf brother. My mom, a little. That's it.
-What type of communication did you use at first and what do you prefer to use now?

used spoken English at first and now I prefer to use ASL
was mainstreamed and oral 24/7 all the way until my junior year at ASU. From then on it was with terps and then to Gallaudet University for my Master's.
I work as a teacher for the deaf.
play softball, read, interior designing, playing with my kids, and socialize with friends

ASL Rocks!!!
Deaf culture is great but with the understanding that it has its flaws.
-What is your view on dont desire to have them. Just see them as another hearing aide but dont like the surgery part of it.
Growing up I wasnt exposed to any deaf role models so I dont really have one yet.
Hearing people refusing to meet my deaf needs and expecting to meet their hearing needs 24/7. No thanks! Would prefer meet halfway.
-if you were president what would you change in the hearing world. (I posted this one already and have had some really good suggestions!)
Make it mandatory to make all deaf ed programs especially for early childhood education BiBi programs.
Tired of the media portraying people who benefit from their CIs as a miracle and how CIs make them normal as if deaf people without CIs are not normal. :roll:
Do not agree with it if it is full time.
-What do you think would most benifit hearing people's view of deaf people and how to interact with them?
Dont disregard our feelings and opinions. We are just as valuable to society as hearing people are.
Exposure to both ASL and English for all deaf/hoh children

Hopefully this will take the edge off doing an interview and allow you just to type away. I really want to find out about so many things, but this is a start. Include any other information that you feel is important to the understanding of deaf culture. :ty: for any responses no matter what they are!:wave:

:welcome: to AD!

-What is your view on cochlear implants?

This is ridiculous that you have to ask many questions about us deafies. I know you want to learn about Deaf Community and Deaf Culture. On the forum, I think it is best to just ask one question at a time like you did with asking what would you do if you were president? You just have to learn through reading the threads or forum to understand where we as a Deaf/HOH are trying to teach you all hearing people about what we deafies had to put up or struggle with. I am deaf from birth and I struggle very badly with mainstreaming in High school meaning no interpreters back in the early 60's. We (deaf classmates) had to study speech and lipreading including the general studies in elementary school and part of Junior High School in a special education class. By the time I was in Senior High School, I had a hard time understanding what the teacher and the hearing students talked about in the classroom; no special education training at all for the next three years (10,11,12 grades). I don't like the mainstream and having to speak and do lipreading. We were not allow to have sign language in our hearing regular schools. Most of my deaf classmates and I want to have sign language so bad so that we can communicate easily and more relaxing. We try to start a protest to let the principal and the hearing teacher that we want to have sign language and have interpreter, but no they would not listen to our plea for our rights and needs. I start learning sign language after I graduate from High School in the middle 60's and my whole stress on my shoulder was lift up and I was very happy to have sign language to communicate with deafies where I belong. Many hearing people don't understand us deafies struggle with speech and lipreading and think we will make it just fine by lipreading and talking to hearing people. That is not the way we want to do for you hearing people. Being deaf is great and we need ASL for visual which we are very happy to communicate. I went on to two different community colleges where they have Deaf program like interpreters and notetakers ( I don't remember close or open caption for film in the classroom, but we have interpreters interpret what the film is saying). I am married to the hearing native (this is my second marriage). My ex-husband was hearing, too. I don't know why. I come from all hearing family which mean I am the only deaf person. Both of my parents want me to go to the regular school and learn how to speak and lipread, so that mean I have no choice but to do that for them. They never sign for me which I was not happy about. My sister knows how to fingerspell, no sign words. I taught my son baby talk years ago and he can sign to me when I come to visit him in New Mexico now that he is 30 years old. My sister want him to learn to become an interpreter, but he said no, thanks. But that is all right as it is his choice. I am very happy that he still remember the signs words very well as a grown up. He is excellant at it. Sorry about the long thread. :cool:

And nothing beats total immersion into the culture and it's big in Chicago!

Shel,
:ty: for your response. It must have been hard communicating with your family with out sign and having to speak. I feel parents and family learn to sign for better communication. If a child, when old enogh to decide for themselves want to speak, that's ok. No one should be forced to do something the whish not to do and stuggle with because someone else likes it better.
I am a teacher too. I teach college and work in theater.
I played softball for 12 years. I don't get any time to play now and I miss it!
How old are your kids? I have 2 boys. They are 2 & 4 years old.:run:
I like your comment about deaf culture. But all culture is the same way. There are always many things that are good and always flaws too. I can think of many for American culture!!!:giggle:

This is ridiculous that you have to ask many questions about us deafies. I know you want to learn about Deaf Community and Deaf Culture. On the forum, I think it is best to just ask one question at a time like you did with asking what would you do if you were president? You just have to learn through reading the threads or forum to understand where we as a Deaf/HOH are trying to teach you all hearing people about what we deafies had to put up or struggle with. I am deaf from birth and I struggle very badly with mainstreaming in High school meaning no interpreters back in the early 60's. We (deaf classmates) had to study speech and lipreading including the general studies in elementary school and part of Junior High School in a special education class. By the time I was in Senior High School, I had a hard time understanding what the teacher and the hearing students talked about in the classroom; no special education training at all for the next three years (10,11,12 grades). I don't like the mainstream and having to speak and do lipreading. We were not allow to have sign language in our hearing regular schools. Most of my deaf classmates and I want to have sign language so bad so that we can communicate easily and more relaxing. We try to start a protest to let the principal and the hearing teacher that we want to have sign language and have interpreter, but no they would not listen to our plea for our rights and needs. I start learning sign language after I graduate from High School in the middle 60's and my whole stress on my shoulder was lift up and I was very happy to have sign language to communicate with deafies where I belong. Many hearing people don't understand us deafies struggle with speech and lipreading and think we will make it just fine by lipreading and talking to hearing people. That is not the way we want to do for you hearing people. Being deaf is great and we need ASL for visual which we are very happy to communicate. I went on to two different community colleges where they have Deaf program like interpreters and notetakers ( I don't remember close or open caption for film in the classroom, but we have interpreters interpret what the film is saying). I am married to the hearing native (this is my second marriage). My ex-husband was hearing, too. I don't know why. I come from all hearing family which mean I am the only deaf person. Both of my parents want me to go to the regular school and learn how to speak and lipread, so that mean I have no choice but to do that for them. They never sign for me which I was not happy about. My sister knows how to fingerspell, no sign words. I taught my son baby talk years ago and he can sign to me when I come to visit him in New Mexico now that he is 30 years old. My sister want him to learn to become an interpreter, but he said no, thanks. But that is all right as it is his choice. I am very happy that he still remember the signs words very well as a grown up. He is excellant at it. Sorry about the long thread. :cool:

Bebonang,
I understand your feelings about all the questions. I was very hesitant to post them in the first place. Unfortunatly I had a deadline and felt that if people could see the questions they might post, knowing what they were. But now that my paper is handed in I don't ever have to do that again. But I do appreciate you responding to the post. Your information was very hepful and insightful. Though I can never understand what deaf people go through I can feel from your post the relief of knowing ASL. I've read it in many other posts as well. ANd it's stuggles like yours and so many others that have help slowly change education for deaf people everywhere. Lets hope that it keeps changing for the better! You shouldn't have to cater to hearing people. ASL is your language. THis is one reason why I want to learn ASL. I want to make the effort to learn your langauge. Just like when going to another country. I am glad that you have good communication with your son. I would never want to be isolated from my family like that. I am teaching my children and husband the signs that I learn.
Don't mind the long threads. Every little bit helps. I am reading more and more threads and learning a lot in the process. I have also met some wonderful people and I'm happy to meet you too.
Thank you for post:ty:

And nothing beats total immersion into the culture and it's big in Chicago!

Tousi,
You are right about that. I am trying to go to more deaf events and be in the culture. I am trying to work on not being so shy. :Oops: I also am not so confident with my signing. But I guess I just have to bite the bullet. :run: :lol:
Thanks

Just approach them with the attitude that they have something valuable to teach you, and you will be fine.

-How did you become deaf? born deaf. My sister born deaf too
-How did your parents react? At first, confusion but accept. Then made my families learn sign language.
-Are you part of any minority?Minority? Not sure what you mean?
-Do brothers, sisters, parents or other family know sign language? The families ((Few of them)) knows how to sign. My mother put gun on head of my families. Hi mom! just kidding!
-What type of communication did you use at first and what do you prefer to use now? At beginning, ASL until I entered school: SEE for a while until I entered Middle school. ASL. ASL ROCKS!
-what type of education did you have or are currently getting? I held in animal field education, law, and bible!
-Where do you work or why don't you work and why? I work with Vet, court for animal witness, cut dogs and cats according to breed's style. and why do I work? Of course- paying bills and put children under roof!
-What types of activities do you like to do. Ex. theater or sports..... I do excise and chasing after kids while wife's time off!
-What is your view on ASL? ASL is my language and ASL is part of our life everyday.
-What is your view on deaf culture? There are pro and con in deaf culture but I do enjoy the gift from God that I have deaf culture in me and see no problem
-What is your view on cochlear implants? If anyone want to have CI then go for it but CI will not change each person's status. I respect people if they want CI or not. Doesn't matter.
-Do you have a deaf role model. If so who and why? Not really
-What frustrations have you had in your life? Hearing people gave up on me and look for other person to talk. TURN ME OFF!
-if you were president what would you change in the hearing world. (I posted this one already and have had some really good suggestions!) There are a lot of thing I want to change in hearing world but definitively I want to change the ADA law to influence on jobs, education, and interpreters
-What do you feel about how the media protrays deaf people? I believe Media needs more deaf to show hearing world that deaf people will not bite hearing people.
-What do you feel about mainstreaming? I guess I grew up just fine!
-What do you think would most benifit hearing people's view of deaf people and how to interact with them? Hopefully, it is not offensive to know what hearing people's view as deaf people's view on each other. Interact, I really don't know.
Mainstreaming and deaf campus doesn't make any different except the lifestyle. I strongly believe if education system needs to reform the time on deaf's education and improve the education on deaf. Maybe 5 years later, it might be improve. Who know

Hope that helps and credit your grade!

-How did you become deaf?hereditary, progressive hearing loss
-How did your parents react?They got me a hearing aid
-Are you part of any minority?nope
-Do brothers, sisters, parents or other family know sign language?nope :(
-What type of communication did you use at first and what do you prefer to use now?have always been oral way..I would want to use sign as well :(
-what type of education did you have or are currently getting?I went thru oral communication all my school life
-Where do you work or why don't you work and why?at a public hospital
-What types of activities do you like to do. Ex. theater or sports.....watching movies with closed captions
-What is your view on ASL?I'm not american but sign is a powerful tool for the deaf
-What is your view on deaf culture?I like it but I'm not part of it yet :(
-What is your view on cochlear implants?I want to get one soon :) it's a personal decision
-Do you have a deaf role model. If so who and why?naw
-What frustrations have you had in your life?trying to understand speech makes me feel worn out .. most people are ignorant toward my deafness
-if you were president what would you change in the hearing world. (I posted this one already and have had some really good suggestions!) tolerance toward people with disabilities
-What do you feel about how the media protrays deaf people?ignorant
-What do you feel about mainstreaming?deaf children should be educated with two ways . both oral and sign
-What do you think would most benifit hearing people's view of deaf people and how to interact with them?being understanding and patience are keys
-What do you think would most benifit the education system for deaf people?two way schools :)

:wave:

Highlands said
-What is your view on deaf culture?I like it but I'm not part of it yet
VanG said: Smile you are part of it because Oral, HOH, deafness, and hearing loss are part of deaf culture as learning to use mouth and hands instead of ears. Deaf Culture is part of you in your heart. Smile

-What is your view on cochlear implants?I want to get one soon it's a personal decision. It is good plan for you becuase my brother in law has CI and he enjoyed around his and our family and at deaf group, he just take it off. Blessing you with healthy CI.

Highlands said
-What is your view on deaf culture?I like it but I'm not part of it yet
VanG said: Smile you are part of it because Oral, HOH, deafness, and hearing loss are part of deaf culture as learning to use mouth and hands instead of ears. Deaf Culture is part of you in your heart. Smile

-What is your view on cochlear implants?I want to get one soon it's a personal decision. It is good plan for you becuase my brother in law has CI and he enjoyed around his and our family and at deaf group, he just take it off. Blessing you with healthy CI.

big thanks :) I really need a device better than hearing aids.. I wear digitals but can't get crispy speech due to my damaged cochlea. I hope a CI would help me much better than hearing aids :)

big thanks :) I really need a device better than hearing aids.. I wear digitals but can't get crispy speech due to my damaged cochlea. I hope a CI would help me much better than hearing aids :)

Yes, CI does help you out and clear as crystal. I don't know what kind of CI is best recommendation but it is nothing wrong to ask ADers about their CI.

Once you get CI and you will get all clear crispy voice, dogs barking, your awesome cat meow, and who know anyone can fart as loud as fart does. :giggle:

Back