Trying to understand the deaf world more

Yes, CI does help you out and clear as crystal. I don't know what kind of CI is best recommendation but it is nothing wrong to ask ADers about their CI.

Once you get CI and you will get all clear crispy voice, dogs barking, your awesome cat meow, and who know anyone can fart as loud as fart does. :giggle:

:lol:

Yes, CI does help you out and clear as crystal. I don't know what kind of CI is best recommendation but it is nothing wrong to ask ADers about their CI.

Once you get CI and you will get all clear crispy voice, dogs barking, your awesome cat meow, and who know anyone can fart as loud as fart does. :giggle:

you silly :giggle:

I can hear cat meow , barking etc..perhaps not clear as crystal ..I'll see if there will be any difference in cat meows when I get my CI .

I don't need to hear farts .. :ugh: crystal clear fart sounds ...ewww :barf:

I will be a good reference when I have gotten used to my CI :lol:

How did you become deaf?

No one really knows when my sister and I became deaf, some family members are saying that my sister and I lost our hearing at the age of 5 from illness, and the rest of them are saying we were born deaf and our doctor doesn't even have the answers to what cause our deafness :dunno: ....

How did your parents react?

I'm sure they were surprised and shocked..

Are you part of any minority?

I'm not quite sure what you meant by " minority " ?....

Do brothers, sisters, parents or other family know sign language?

Yes, my hearing sister knows more sign than my younger sister, brother, step mom and my grandmother....My husband is hard of hearing so yes he knows signs and my children know a few signs... we're trying to get them to sign everyday not once in a while...

What type of communication did you use at first and what do you prefer to use now?

I learned oral method first, then sign language later, now I prefer both....

what type of education did you have or are currently getting?

Mainstream all the way..

Where do you work or why don't you work and why?

I work for my dad's company, which we travel from one state to another doing a rib cook off show....worked for my dad for almost 10 years I believe...

What types of activities do you like to do. Ex. theater or sports.....

I played softball and volleyball and still do, I play with my children, socialize with my friends, and working outdoors too...

What is your view on ASL?

ASL is the first and natural language for the deaf, hoh people, to help those who are trying to communicate.. It may be a tool for language development prior to developing spoken language, also the earlier any child is exposed to and begins to acquire language, the better that child's communication skills will become, and it also helps the child's language learning process during this important stage of development...Anyone can learn ASL, and it's important that hearing parents use this method for their deaf children ( with use of hearing aids or CI ) no matter whether they can hear or not....

ASL #1!! :rockon:

What is your view on deaf culture?

Well, there are some things I don't agree on while there are other things I do agree on, so I dunno, ...

What is your view on cochlear implants?

As matter of fact, I have nothing against cochlear implants, since I support both the parents and individual choice, but however I wish sometimes they do it for the right reason only if one wants to hear more...

Do you have a deaf role model. If so who and why?

Yes, Helen Keller, because I became very interested how she worked so hard throughout her long life to achieve social change, she spent her life helping blind and deaf people and she was the first deafblind person to graduate from college, she also gave speeches ( even through she was embarrassed by her speaking voice and terrified of the crowds but she had the courage to speak out for what she believed in ) and wrote many books too...She is the kind of person that I look up to....

What frustrations have you had in your life?

Trying to understand what some hearing people are saying to me, not being able to find as any jobs I wanted, feeling left out during a family get-together...And when my children were little, I was having trouble understanding them as well too... and it hurts me as a mother....

if you were president what would you change in the hearing world.

Actually a lot of things I would like to see change, such as how hearing people are like toward us, more education schools for those who have trouble with speech and language developed, etc

What do you feel about how the media protrays deaf people?

Well to be honest, I'm pretty tired of hearing about CI this or that and how it benefit deaf children with CI, if they're implanted earlier, :blah:...I want to hear something else, something new, something more interesting....also I just wish they would stop using the word " deaf and dumb " ....

What do you feel about mainstreaming?

Well from my past experience it was very hard since I did not have any interpreter in any of my mainstream classes, only if they would have provide interpreter than it wouldn't have been this hard....

What do you think would most benifit hearing people's view of deaf people and how to interact with them?

Be patience, understanding and hear our feelings, opinions etc..

What do you think would most benifit the education system for deaf people?

To exposure both ASL and English... =)

:applause: at Angel. I believe our story will help hearing understand our culture and at least don't underestimated deaf like us.

:cool: at highlands. Whenever you get CI- You will enjoy a new sounds and more clearly. Just keep me update and I will root for you.

Bebonang,

1. I understand your feelings about all the questions.

2. But now that my paper is handed in I don't ever have to do that again.

3. Though I can never understand what deaf people go through I can feel from your post the relief of knowing ASL.

4. And stuggles like yours and so many others that have help slowly change education for deaf people everywhere. Let's hope that it keeps changing for the better!

5. You shouldn't have to cater to hearing people.

6. I would never want to be isolated from my family like that.

Kris,

I will be responding to your requests, but first, as (unofficial) editor and censor here, would like to respond to the above in number order.

1. None of us who are deaf can understand why a hearie would say that they understand: they can't.

2. So, do you still want to learn asl? If so, you will be reliving your paper and learning deafs stories on how the education system has treated us. You haven't even gotten "sound bites" yet. Hang on, you're in for a ride! :D

3. I should be more fluent in asl, but that's my story.

4. We can wish, but until hearies learn and respect us, in all aspects of society, that we're not all a bunch of "deaf and dumbs," nothing will change.

5. When I get more fluent in asl, I won't anymore. My voice will be off and, if I decide to teach at a college/university level, I won't use my voice. Hearies forced so much onto us, why should we bend?

6. A good many deaf is. As I said, you're only hearing sound bites now, just wait . . .

-How did you become deaf?
No idea.
-How did your parents react?
My dad, I think, discovered it first, when he tried getting my attention to see a cow moose and her calf. He had to tug on the back of my coat. Also, my teachers called my parents in for a special conference to show them a ten-minute long movie about a deaf child. My mother also became my advocate, but didn't have 100 percent support of my dad. Mom wanted me to go to the deaf residential school, but dad overrode her, saying, "No, costs money." Little did he know that it would only cost him pocket change to give me, as my school district would provide the transportation free of charge. Public schools failed me and it wasn't until years later that my mother understood how bad it was for me. I always thought they knew. If any kids are reading this and you are having a tough time in school because of your deafness, speak up and make sure your parents, the schools, your teachers, your bus driver (yes, your bus driver) know that you're getting a crap education. Call your local newspaper, your local television news station, call the police if you have to (yes, dial 911 until you get the help you need in school!) If anyone you know is an attorney, tell them your rights under the ADA are being violated and you want to sue!
-Do brothers, sisters, parents or other family know sign language?
No.
-What type of education did you have or are currently getting?
I went through oral communication all my school life, unfortunately.
-What types of activities do you like to do? Ex. theater or sports.....
I am a professional student and am a writer/journalist; I also like watching movies with closed captions.
-What is your view on ASL?
I can sign some, but am looking forward to going asl all the way.
-What is your view on cochlear implants?
Never on a child under age 21 at least. Otherwise, I consider it a panacea for the parents which helps them not have to sign to their child. I view that as very sad.
-Do you have a deaf role model. If so who and why?
Helen Keller. She's done more for us deafs than any hearie ever could for me.
-What frustrations have you had in your life?
I will be writing a book about this in the foreseeable future . . . stay tuned.
-What do you feel about how the media protrays deaf people?
I am NOT 'deaf and dumb.' You have any idea what my IQ is? What about the level of my reading ability? Being deaf has nothing to do with being dumb.
-What do you feel about mainstreaming?
Deaf children should be educated with two ways: Oral and sign simultaneously.
-What do you think would most benefit hearing people's view of deaf people and how to interact with them?
This will be covered in my book. However, you are free to ask other deafs, but you will be given an earful.
-What do you think would most benefit the education system for deaf people?
Money, money and more money for us, not sports. Not sports. Not sports. Nothing else, no theatre arts or anything. Deaf education only. When that is fulfilled "carte blanche," then your hearies sports programs can have what money is left over and tell us how you feel.

Hopefully this will take the edge off doing an interview and allow you just to type away.
Just my two cents, but, you may want to take some speech classes to "take the edge off doing an interview," as well as maybe a journalism class and sign up to be a reporter for your college's newspaper. When you're out in the real world and away from your school, you're going to be faced with way tougher challenges than this. Seriously.

Bebonang,
I understand your feelings about all the questions. I was very hesitant to post them in the first place. Unfortunatly I had a deadline and felt that if people could see the questions they might post, knowing what they were. But now that my paper is handed in I don't ever have to do that again. But I do appreciate you responding to the post. Your information was very hepful and insightful. Though I can never understand what deaf people go through I can feel from your post the relief of knowing ASL. I've read it in many other posts as well. ANd it's stuggles like yours and so many others that have help slowly change education for deaf people everywhere. Lets hope that it keeps changing for the better! You shouldn't have to cater to hearing people. ASL is your language. THis is one reason why I want to learn ASL. I want to make the effort to learn your langauge. Just like when going to another country. I am glad that you have good communication with your son. I would never want to be isolated from my family like that. I am teaching my children and husband the signs that I learn.
Don't mind the long threads. Every little bit helps. I am reading more and more threads and learning a lot in the process. I have also met some wonderful people and I'm happy to meet you too.
Thank you for post:ty:

You are welcome. I hope you get a good grade for your report in class. Good luck! :fingersx:

Greetings

Hi Kris,

I was in college for a degree in Sign Language Interpretation. I was excelling in the classes but they got more difficult. I have found signing to be beautiful and interesting (especially for songs) since I was a child. I used to LOVE Signing with Cindy on PBS...but I am proof that it's harder to learn some new things when you get older. Getting the signs in the proper order and remembering to make the facial expressions, etc was harder for me. Anyway, I still want to learn, but I just don't think I can do it on a school semester basis.

Hello NikkiJohnson. :welcome: to AD! You are right about that one when some of the ASL have change as you get older. I had to learn a little bit more on signs that change and I get a little bit confuse about some of the new signs that I am use to old signs. I am an old native elder. Well, it is never to late to learn and I love learning no matter how old I get to be. I am surprise that I am never tire of teaching hearing people about Deaf Culture and ASL. :giggle:

-How did you become deaf?
I was born with no hair follicles and no ear drum in my left ear and I am HOH in my right ear.
-How did your parents react?
At first they thought I was developmentally disabled until they realized I had more of hearing problem than anything else. They enrolled me public school since as long as I sat in the front row I could hear just fine.
-Are you part of any minority?
No.
-Do brothers, sisters, parents or other family know sign language? No
-What type of communication did you use at first and what do you prefer to use now? I grew up orally, I am learning ASL now and I hope to use both fluently in the future.
-what type of education did you have or are currently getting? I was mainstreamed into the public school system.
-Where do you work or why don't you work and why?
I work in the poultry processing buisness, I dont like there, but I work because its a better paycheck than SSI. Besides Im not so disabled that I can't work, Im able to so I should work.
-What types of activities do you like to do. Ex. theater or sports.....
O enjoy being outdoors doing photography and working with retrievers to prepare them for duck season.
-What is your view on ASL?
Its a wonderful tool of communication for the deaf and HOH that really struggle with spoken communication.
-What is your view on deaf culture?
I never knew there was a deaf culture until I decided to come to terms with my deafness and started getting involved here at AD - and I would like to be part of it, although I would not be hardcore though.
-What is your view on cochlear implants?
No one under 12 should be getting CIs - they should be required to try signing first and if all else fails then CI. CIs should be a last resort. And from what I am told CI's can't hold a candle to the clarity of natural hearing abilities, although as the technology evolves this may change as well.
-Do you have a deaf role model. If so who and why? I really dont have a deaf role model, I just admire people who are kindhearted and giving and are willing to give everyone a chance.
-What frustrations have you had in your life?
The fact that perhaps I lack in certain areas of my education due to the fact I could not hear instruction very well. And in 2nd grade they tool my FM system away. I really wish my parents would have put their foot down and said enough is enough and allowed me to go to ASD, but I think they were afraid of letting go. I was always getting embarrassed because I could not hear well, and I would often miss homework assignments because I would not hear the teacher give them out. I spent countless days in detention over that.
-if you were president what would you change in the hearing world. (I posted this one already and have had some really good suggestions!)
Id get us off this petrol addiction for one, get us out of Iraq safely, and start requiring more of our elected legislature at the state AND federal level. I would also start a bill that would REQUIRE more help for the deaf and HOH students in the education system because those students are really being overlooked and they are falling through the cracks.
-What do you feel about how the media protrays deaf people?
Its a pathetic stereotype and hollywood needs to get over it. Im ready to see a movie about a deaf man that is incredibly smart but too often not understood or not taken seriously. This is how deaf life is.
-What do you feel about mainstreaming?
Of we're going to mainstream there needs to be ALOT of improvement, beginning with the abolishment of the NCLB act which has required ludicrious amounts of testing and requiring the test be taught and not the actual subjects.
-What do you think would most benifit hearing people's view of deaf people and how to interact with them?
Spend a week living with a deaf family and I gaurantee you, you will learn more in that week than you could from any book or internet forum you read. To really learn your going to have to interact with them in their environment.
-What do you think would most benifit the education system for deaf people? Offering ASL as well as an oral approach because not every kid is going to be an oral success. And just because a kid is deaf doesnt mean you have to put them in a special education class, just make sure they get good notes and that they understand the material. You may have to write more things down for a deaf child than a hearing one but they should be given the same opportunities.

There ya go!

Back