Trying to help

isatrace

Reaction score
Hello to all! I am a speech language pathologist working with a 7th grade deaf young lady who is so shy and isolated. she is stuck. She is not a great signer or writer, but adequate to have some conversation. She really needs a deaf friend who can help her be comfortable with herself and get out of her "middle school-young-shy-remote-deaf" self. She has so many opportunities to do new things, camp etc.. but won't. Too shy.
Anyone out there who maybe in the same boat? or a peer that would want to communicate with her via this website? Thanks, and have a great day!

Maybe you can tell her to sign up here and participate in the many threads we got here? I don't know if you'd be doing her a favor forcing awkward conversations with strangers online.

Last edited:
Maybe you can tell her to sign up here and participate in the many threads we got here? I don't you'd be doing her a favor forcing awkward conversations with strangers online.

Not at gunpoint I hope.

Being deaf and mainstreamed can suck. Maybe she feels isolated. Is there a deaf school nearby?

Yes, is camp Deaf camp? I can remember as a kid being REALLY shy b/c I was mainstreamed and oral, and it kinda took a toll on my self esteem...
does she know other dhh kids? I second the deaf school/program question...that could be a really good resource...Maybe she just needs to discover other dhh kids and the POSTIVE part of being Deaf.

What does a Speech Language Pathologist do to the deaf people or hearing people? Are you helping them pronounce their words correctly?

Most of the time, d/Deaf don't like to go through the struggle trying to speak correctly. We are not perfect. It is that we don't like to be forced every time hearing parents and hearing authority like mainstream schools want us to be like them.

We would rather sign ASL. She should learn to sign if her signing was not helping her to be able to be with Deaf teenagers. She need to be in the Deaf school so that she can sign and getting to know them. Now that pretty soon there will be summer coming, it would be wonderful if she can attend the Deaf camp.

I went to one when I was young and loving it but we did not learn to sign. We sort of using gestures when we want to communicate. I hate oral method. So I don't like to be forced.

If she is a teenager, then hopefully she can try to be on AllDeaf Forum here. Don't force her if she does not want to. It will make it harder to come out in the open and still withdraw into her shell. Just give her room.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. :wave:

What does a Speech Language Pathologist do to the deaf people or hearing people? Are you helping them pronounce their words correctly?

Most of the time, d/Deaf don't like to go through the struggle trying to speak correctly. We are not perfect. It is that we don't like to be forced every time hearing parents and hearing authority like mainstream schools want us to be like them.

We would rather sign ASL. She should learn to sign if her signing was not helping her to be able to be with Deaf teenagers. She need to be in the Deaf school so that she can sign and getting to know them. Now that pretty soon there will be summer coming, it would be wonderful if she can attend the Deaf camp.

I went to one when I was young and loving it but we did not learn to sign. We sort of using gestures when we want to communicate. I hate oral method. So I don't like to be forced.

If she is a teenager, then hopefully she can try to be on AllDeaf Forum here. Don't force her if she does not want to. It will make it harder to come out in the open and still withdraw into her shell. Just give her room.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. :wave:

If the girl is really that shy and join AllDeaf she may not be able handle all the ribbing and joking people do here. I really feel her parents needs to help their daughter with her shyness . This can be a handicap to some people and they can become a victim of being bullied very easy.
I think it's great that the OP is trying to help the girl and if she feel comfortable enough to talk to the parents about this it would be great.

If she's in the 7th grade that makes her about 13 years old? She's shy and I would dare say, vulnerable. I don't think it's wise for any adult to recommend a website to a minor who is not their own child and won't be there to supervise what goes on. In fact, it might not even be allowed under the school's policy.

If she's in the 7th grade that makes her about 13 years old? She's shy and I would dare say, vulnerable. I don't think it's wise for any adult to recommend a website to a minor who is not their own child and won't be there to supervise what goes on. In fact, it might not even be allowed under the school's policy.

I agree with you 100% and was going to add to my comment it needs to be up the parents to have the girl use any web site. This is my concern too, we had people join up here that where very young and shy and they never came back . This is like throwing the poor child into the deep end of the pool when they can't swim. I met the girl that helped trained Finlay and the girl was painfully shy and could barely speech . My older sister was there too and she had trouble hearing the girl talk . If the girl the OP is talking is as shy as the girl I met she would be very vulnerable. I hope the parents is getting their daughter some help to overcome her shyness .
To the OP do you know if the school is doing anything to help the girl?

I'm a 10th grader at a Deaf school. I was mainstreamed until 2 months ago so I understand what she going though. I would be more than happy to talk to her.

Does anyone find it a little offputting that there is no response from the OP so far?

Back