Trump: Obama Must Release Birth Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the question. Why did it take Obama 20 years to leave a church where racial hatred was preached?

How do you know that racial hatred was preached in that church for 20 years. Do you have transcripts of each and every sermon?

What about when Obama makes self-deprecating jokes? Is he being racists against himself then?

That is a good question. I don't think he is being racist. I would think racism is an act of hatred, be it verbal or physical, against an individual specifically because of their race.

It doesn't always have to be an act of hatred, it could also be an act of ignorance.

edit to add: Being proud of your race is not racism *IMHO*. Thinking that your race is superior than all the other races is.

Uhhh...self hatred qualifies as racism, too. Not the case with Obama, obviously. Just saying. One can be racist against one's own race.

Uhhh...self hatred qualifies as racism, too. Not the case with Obama, obviously. Just saying. One can be racist against one's own race.

Yes, finally, we agree on something. But in Obama's case he was attempting to be humorous and not hateful.

Neither did say they were atypical. I said they existed.
What was your point in bringing them up?

Perhaps the Obamas were not in attendance that day.
Oh, and Rev. Wright felt racist on that one day only so he preached that sermon and got it out of his system.

Yeah, right. :roll:

I don't know. You will have to ask the Obamas.
I don't have to. In case you've forgotten, he said why.

"Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., condemned racially charged sermons by his former pastor Friday and urged Americans not to reject his presidential campaign because of 'guilt by association.' "

Apparently Obama was aware of the sermons. He quoted one in his book Dreams of My Father. It's the "white folks' greed runs a world in need" one.

I don't think that anyone has suggested that Rev. Wright did not make some racist statements in a couple of sermons. That still doesn't mean that every sermon he preached was racist.
Like I said, if my preacher gave even one racist sermon, that would be one too many. I would leave.

That is why it is called "self deprecating humor".

You know, that's something the Brits are well-known for, not the Americans.

Americans in general are not a fan of self-deprecating humour. Mostly because they don't get it. It's true. Just look at the movies and TV shows produced in the USA and compare them to the BBC and British productions, there is a significant difference in humour.

What was your point in bringing them up?

Oh, and Rev. Wright felt racist on that one day only so he preached that sermon and got it out of his system.

Yeah, right. :roll:

I don't have to. In case you've forgotten, he said why.

"Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., condemned racially charged sermons by his former pastor Friday and urged Americans not to reject his presidential campaign because of 'guilt by association.' "

Apparently Obama was aware of the sermons. He quoted one in his book Dreams of My Father. It's the "white folks' greed runs a world in need" one.

Like I said, if my preacher gave even one racist sermon, that would be one too many. I would leave.

My point was explained several posts back.

Where did I say that? Are you denying that people can change their perspective over time?

So why are you again asking?

Using the term "white folks" is racist? Is "black folks" racist, too? As far as the sentiment expressed, the same sentiment is expressed in several sociological theories. I guess they are racist, too.

Good for you.

How do you know that racial hatred was preached in that church for 20 years. Do you have transcripts of each and every sermon?
Apparently Obama knew it and said so.

...I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely - just as I'm sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren't simply controversial. They weren't simply a religious leader's effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country - a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright's comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems - two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all....
RealClearPolitics - Articles - A More Perfect Union

My point was explained several posts back.

Where did I say that? Are you denying that people can change their perspective over time?
Is that what happened in this case?

So why are you again asking?
To see if you knew the answer.

Using the term "white folks" is racist? Is "black folks" racist, too? As far as the sentiment expressed, the same sentiment is expressed in several sociological theories. I guess they are racist, too.
The entire quote, which I posted, was "white folks' greed runs a world in need." It didn't say "white and black folks' greed," and it didn't say, "greed runs a world in need." It said "white folks' greed." If you read the entire passage from Obama's book you'll see how he says that sermon influenced him.[/QUOTE]

I don't see where it says he knew that racial hatred was preached in that church for 20 years.
He knew it from his first visit to the church at the beginning of the 20 years. He quotes the very sermon in his book.

Obama didn't deny that Rev. Wright's sermons were racist.

Are you disagreeing with Obama?

Is that what happened in this case?

To see if you knew the answer.

The entire quote, which I posted, was "white folks' greed runs a world in need." It didn't say "white and black folks' greed," and it didn't say, "greed runs a world in need." It said "white folks' greed." If you read the entire passage from Obama's book you'll see how he says that sermon influenced him.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know. It could have as easily as it couldn't have.

The answer wasn't mine to give. You asked specifically for my idea of why. That is for the Obamas to answer, as I said.

And your point is? Like I said, several sociological theories maintain the same thing. Doesn't make it racist.

I mentioned black folks because I don't see where you are seeing racism in that particular quote. If "white folks" is what you are seeing as racist, then it stands to reason that the term "black folks" must be racist as well.

I've read Thoughts from my Father, thanks. Some time ago.

I will continue this discussion tomorrow. Victor Fankl is calling my name.

He knew it from his first visit to the church at the beginning of the 20 years. He quotes the very sermon in his book.

Obama didn't deny that Rev. Wright's sermons were racist.

Are you disagreeing with Obama?

If you are referring to the "white folks" quote that you keep using, I don't see that it is racist in any way.

He didn't say they were, either.

If you are referring to the "white folks" quote that you keep using, I don't see that it is racist in any way.

He didn't say they were, either.

I kind of figured you wouldn't.

Here it is ... Obama very publicly admonished Jeremiah Wright for the same exact racist sentiments that he himself expressed.

I don't know. It could have as easily as it couldn't have.

The answer wasn't mine to give. You asked specifically for my idea of why. That is for the Obamas to answer, as I said.
I wanted to see if you knew what Obama had said was his reason. It was widely disseminated at the time.

And your point is? Like I said, several sociological theories maintain the same thing. Doesn't make it racist.
You don't think some sociological theories might be racist?

I mentioned black folks because I don't see where you are seeing racism in that particular quote. If "white folks" is what you are seeing as racist, then it stands to reason that the term "black folks" must be racist as well.
It would be if the quote was "black folks' greed runs a world in need."

I've read Thoughts from my Father, thanks. Some time ago.
Dreams of My Father?

I kind of figured you wouldn't.

Here it is ... Obama very publicly admonished Jeremiah Wright for the same exact racist sentiments that he himself expressed.

People like you are the ones that even made it an issue.:lol: Mostly people who don't know what racism is and what it isn't.:roll:

I wanted to see if you knew what Obama had said was his reason. It was widely disseminated at the time.

Unfortunately, that isn't what you asked me. You asked for my opinion.

You don't think some sociological theories might be racist?

There is a possibility there could be. Not the ones I am referring to, however. The ones I am referring to explain why a society, in general is racist, and what within that society maintains the racism. As does the quote from Rev. Wright, unless you are bound and derermined to see it as a slur against white people.

It would be if the quote was "black folks' greed runs a world in need."

Not if the black folks were the majority and actually controlled financial interests within that society.
Dreams of My Father?

Yeah. Said it had been some time since I read it.

That's the question. Why did it take Obama 20 years to leave a church where racial hatred was preached?

Are you certain that racial hatred was preached for all of those years? Does this mean you now believe he went to a Christian church for 20 years? There was some discussion on his level of "Christianity" dedication.

So many questions.

The difference here is that I don't care if he is a Liberal or a Conservative. You do. That means you will not look at him with a completely unbiased eye. Not telling you this is wrong. I am telling you we will never agree because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back