Travis the monkey killed for going on a rampage while mental

the lesson is any animal that can kill you should not be a pet. remeber siegfried and roy

bingo!!!! The article said that the pet owner treated Travis as a family member. That, my friend, is a ticking bomb waiting to go off. Never EVER EVER treat ANY animal (even your dog & cat) as a family member. I'm sorry but he/she is not a human and yes he/she may exhibit human-like behavior but he/she MUST be treated & respected as animal as programmed by its DNA.

Respect the nature and the nature will return the same. :cool2: As Cesar Millan said in PROPER order - Exercise, Discipline and Love. (notice that love is the LAST in the list and there's a reason why.)

Sorry to be off topic but its important to me!!!!
so help me here.....is it against law in come states/
cities to own boa and python snakes in their homes
as pets? there are some children in the home!! :cold:
Here's a simple but somewhat unreliable hint - if the pet store (not the shady one) is selling it in your area, it means boa/python is legal.

Oh i see, ok so how do i go about finding out? Do i call animal
control or what concerning the laws of our state or what?
yes you can do that. You can also contact your local town/city hall and pet store. Petco employees are actually knowledgeable (well some). You'll have to contact several agencies because not all are familiar with the protocol regarding exotic pets. To make it even more confusing - there is a state, municipal, and local law regarding the exotic pet. For example (I'm just making it up) - it's legal to own boa/python in New York but illegal to own it in Rochester.

You could do that. Or you could try googling "laws for exotic pets" in your state.
If my memory serves me correctly - I recall a few years ago that Florida requires exotic pet license because of that tiger/alligator attack.

bingo!!!! The article said that the pet owner treated Travis as a family member. That, my friend, is a ticking bomb waiting to go off. Never EVER EVER treat ANY animal (even your dog & cat) as a family member. I'm sorry but he/she is not a human and yes he/she may exhibit human-like behavior but he/she MUST be treated & respected as animal as programmed by its DNA.

Respect the nature and the nature will return the same respect. :cool2: As Cesar Millan said in PROPER order - Exercise, Discipline and Love. (notice that love is the LAST in the list and there's a reason why.)

I totally disagree. Primates shouldn't be kept in captivity period. They are wild animals that shoud stay in the wild, but if they are kept in homes then treating them as family can't be a bad thing, but then it depends on how you treat your family members really.

I treat my guide dog as a member of my family. In fact I'm closer to Jilli then any human I know. Of course she needs disapline sometimes but so do children.

I totally disagree. Primates shouldn't be kept in captivity period. They are wild animals that shoud stay in the wild, but if they are kept in homes then treating them as family can't be a bad thing, but then it depends on how you treat your family members really.

I treat my guide dog as a member of my family. In fact I'm closer to Jilli then any human I know. Of course she needs disapline sometimes but so do children.

I completely understand. Sorry but dogs are not human. Period. I know many animal lovers would angrily disagree with me but just look at any pet owners who suffered from pet attacks. Their typical response - "omfg!! wtf!! I never thought it would happen!! he/she's like our family member!!! <sob sob sob>" My simple response - that's what you get for not respecting the nature.

I adore my dog like my baby son but he's still a dog and I treat him with respect to nature and I treat him in exact order - Exercise, Discipline, and Love. It works for me as a dog owner and it works for me as dog behaviorist at Animal Shelter. My dog bit my mom & my brother one time and it drew blood. Of course - they were very surprised. He has never bitten me even once. Just saying - never say never.

Last edited:
source
But even as investigators try to figure out exactly what triggered Travis's attack (he had been suffering from Lyme disease, which in rare cases is linked to psychotic behavior), the reality is that a chimpanzee living among people is simply a ticking time bomb. No matter how many years it has lived peacefully as a pet, a chimpanzee is not a domesticated animal and can snap without warning. "They are wild animals, and all wild animals are potentially dangerous," says Colleen McCann, a primatologist with the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and New York's Bronx Zoo. "They are not pets. This is tragic, but it's not surprising."

Despite the potential threat chimpanzees pose, many U.S. states, including Connecticut, legally allow people to raise them as pets. Primatologists like McCann argue, of course, that chimpanzees should never be kept privately, and the WCS supports the Captive Primate Safety Act, a bill pending in Congress that would ban the private selling of primates as pets. The bill has stalled since it was introduced in 2005, but the Stamford assault may well renew the debate. "This is a tragedy for the families involved, for the animal and for the community — but it's not a unique story," says McCann. "When humans keep wild animals as pets, they pose a danger, and more times than not it will end in tragedy."

I wouldnt blame them for passing a bill into a law since we need to keep those wild animals where they belong. In the wild.

We dont want anymore people and wild animals killing eachother, do we?

Good info. That's a nice way to say it.
Taming a wild chimp for a house member is like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.

And yes, we see less Pitbull attacks since almost everyone has a dog.. But probably like 1 out of 300,000 people own a member of the monkey/ape family? Just random guessing.

I think apes can cause more damage than a pitbull.. because the gorging damage type is done by dogs is in canine form using the teeth. But these apes and monkeys can go around using their hands and legs to provide additional power, like pulling and stretching things.

You know. This also makes me think. Humans often get "uncontrollable" DNA impulses. Like, go for that woman! Or girls go for that guy! Are we wrong to not act out on our DNA's instinct, and play by law or brain willpower?

Last edited:
You mean Cheeta...

Monkeys In The News: Tarzan chimp celebrates 75th birthday

C.H.E.E.T.A. Primate Sanctuary

Read including pictures "Nuts to Healthy Living"
Tarzan's chimp is still alive and kicking, but he's had to give up booze and cigars

Blow Me Away

Cheeta will be 77 years old this April. He have to stop to smoke the cigars and drink alochol due his health but he doing good with artwork...
If you want to know the true story about "Cheeta" the Feb. 6, 2009, issue of The Week magazine had a long feature story about him. Sadly, it proves that all those other stories about Cheeta were not true. The "Cheeta" that is publicized now was never in the Tarzan movies. He's only about 50 years old. It was kind of disappointing. The full story was published by The Washington Post.

Here's a simple but somewhat unreliable hint - if the pet store (not the shady one) is selling it in your area, it means boa/python is legal.

yes you can do that. You can also contact your local town/city hall and pet store. Petco employees are actually knowledgeable (well some). You'll have to contact several agencies because not all are familiar with the protocol regarding exotic pets. To make it even more confusing - there is a state, municipal, and local law regarding the exotic pet. For example (I'm just making it up) - it's legal to own boa/python in New York but illegal to own it in Rochester.

If my memory serves me correctly - I recall a few years ago that Florida requires exotic pet license because of that tiger/alligator attack.

Oh, ok i understand and i dont know if this guy bought the snakes
at any pet shop or not and i just found out that here in Oklahoma
that you have to have license to own any exotic pets. (Im in Okla
right now). I need to get more info from my best friend as to where
he got those phython snakes..also he wants to sell the baby snakes..eeks.
Thats interesting about its legal to own snakes in New York but illegal
in Rochester, strange.
Ok, thanks for the info.

If you want to know the true story about "Cheeta" the Feb. 6, 2009, issue of The Week magazine had a long feature story about him. Sadly, it proves that all those other stories about Cheeta were not true. The "Cheeta" that is publicized now was never in the Tarzan movies. He's only about 50 years old. It was kind of disappointing. The full story was published by The Washington Post.

So...you are saying the whole story about the Cheeta is all a lie?

Oh, ok i understand and i dont know if this guy bought the snakes
at any pet shop or not and i just found out that here in Oklahoma
that you have to have license to own any exotic pets. (Im in Okla
right now). I need to get more info from my best friend as to where
he got those phython snakes..also he wants to sell the baby snakes..eeks.
Thats interesting about its legal to own snakes in New York but illegal
in Rochester, strange.
Ok, thanks for the info.

About snakes in NY/Rochester - see the parenthesis. I was just making it up because I was trying to make an example regarding state-municipal-town law. You also might want to check if boa/python is classified as exotic pets.

Good info. That's a nice way to say it.
Taming a wild chimp for a house member is like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.

And yes, we see less Pitbull attacks since almost everyone has a dog.. But probably like 1 out of 300,000 people own a member of the monkey/ape family? Just random guessing.

I think apes can cause more damage than a pitbull.. because the gorging damage type is done by dogs is in canine form using the teeth. But these apes and monkeys can go around using their hands and legs to provide additional power, like pulling and stretching things.

You know. This also makes me think. Humans often get "uncontrollable" DNA impulses. Like, go for that woman! Or girls go for that guy! Are we wrong to not act out on our DNA's instinct, and play by law or brain willpower?

both pitbull and chimp attacks are NASTY. Pitbull has the most powerful jaw & pulling strength. It's capable of dragging 3x its weights and its jaw strength is as strong as alligator. Either way- you're still SCREWED!

Whatever the animal you have - it's just to show you that you need to respect the nature first and to NEVER EVER treat any animal as a "family member." Animal's basic needs is always placed ahead of person's need & love. simple as that. you'll live a lot longer than those who doesn't. :cool2:

I completely understand. Sorry but dogs are not human. Period. I know many animal lovers would angrily disagree with me but just look at any pet owners who suffered from pet attacks. Their typical response - "omfg!! wtf!! I never thought it would happen!! he/she's like our family member!!! <sob sob sob>" My simple response - that's what you get for not respecting the nature.

I adore my dog like my baby son but he's still a dog and I treat him with respect to nature and I treat him in exact order - Exercise, Discipline, and Love. It works for me as a dog owner and it works for me as dog behaviorist at Animal Shelter. My dog bit my mom & my brother one time and it drew blood. Of course - they were very surprised. He has never bitten me even once. Just saying - never say never.

I know dogs aren't human. I have been attacked by a dog. I have also been attacked by the dog's human owner. Guess which attack left the lasting scars. It certainly wasn't the attack by the dog.

It reminds me of one of those notices. They used to sell them in pet shops that said 'beware of the dog". Anyway one said "Never mind the dog, beware of the owner!"

People with dangerous pets, It's usually because the owners treat them badly. Not because they treat them well.

Maybe we are talking at cross perpuses here. If you are refering to animals that get spoilt. Piggy (the dog that bit me) was treated very inconsistantly. Sometimes he was pampered. Sometimes he wasn't. That wasn't being treated like a member of the family.

If you treat an animal well, then it usually responds to that. I've had a number of rodents with challanging behavior. I took in a rat which was supposed to be a vicious biter. I had him neutered and he was as soft as they come. Which makes me wonder how his last owner treated him. I also had some female rats who bite. I got them from this animal collector who called herself 'a private rescue' but she used the rescue to off load all her undesirable animals. The other rats that bit experienced bad things in their previous homes. I don't sob sob sob when a rat bites.

I usually go ouch. then I run the blood under water and put cream and a plaster on it. It was never really a big deal. Sometimes It was partly my fault for seperating a rat fight without wearing gloves first.

None of my current rats bite. I got them from a lady who takes in pregnant rescues and she does a really good job of socializing the babies. One of them even came back when you called them... Eventually.

I know dogs aren't human. I have been attacked by a dog. I have also been attacked by the dog's human owner. Guess which attack left the lasting scars. It certainly wasn't the attack by the dog.

It reminds me of one of those notices. They used to sell them in pet shops that said 'beware of the dog". Anyway one said "Never mind the dog, beware of the owner!"

People with dangerous pets, It's usually because the owners treat them badly. Not because they treat them well.

Maybe we are talking at cross perpuses here. If you are refering to animals that get spoilt. Piggy (the dog that bit me) was treated very inconsistantly. Sometimes he was pampered. Sometimes he wasn't. That wasn't being treated like a member of the family.

If you treat an animal well, then it usually responds to that. I've had a number of rodents with challanging behavior. I took in a rat which was supposed to be a vicious biter. I had him neutered and he was as soft as they come. Which makes me wonder how his last owner treated him. I also had some female rats who bite. I got them from this animal collector who called herself 'a private rescue' but she used the rescue to off load all her undesirable animals. The other rats that bit experienced bad things in their previous homes. I don't sob sob sob when a rat bites.

I usually go ouch. then I run the blood under water and put cream and a plaster on it. It was never really a big deal. Sometimes It was partly my fault for seperating a rat fight without wearing gloves first.

None of my current rats bite. I got them from a lady who takes in pregnant rescues and she does a really good job of socializing the babies. One of them even came back when you called them... Eventually.

whatever the situation/background/reason it is, you still must respect the nature. period.

whatever the situation/background/reason it is, you still must respect the nature. period.

I do respect them. That's why I treat them well. Like I treat other members of the family.

I've never known an animal who missbehaved because they were part of the family. Sometimes it might seem like that. I've known people who treat their dogs really well one minute. Make a major big fuss of them and object if you try to disapline them, but they aren't consistant. The poor dogs feel really confused because they don't know where they stand.

I certainly don't treat Jilli like that. Jilli knows where she stands in the pack, but I also see her as part of the family, and I've never experienced any negative behavior from treating her like that. When I tell her to do something she does it. So she knows where she stands. But I love her more then I do most people I know.

I was really fond of Mitzi too, and that was one of the rats who used to bite.

I do respect them. That's why I treat them well. Like I treat other members of the family.

I've never known an animal who missbehaved because they were part of the family. Sometimes it might seem like that. I've known people who treat their dogs really well one minute. Make a major big fuss of them and object if you try to disapline them, but they aren't consistant. The poor dogs feel really confused because they don't know where they stand.

I certainly don't treat Jilli like that. Jilli knows where she stands in the pack, but I also see her as part of the family, and I've never experienced any negative behavior from treating her like that. When I tell her to do something she does it. So she knows where she stands. But I love her more then I do most people I know.

I was really fond of Mitzi too, and that was one of the rats who used to bite.

Don't get me wrong but every living, breathing thing (including humans) is a ticking bomb. If it didn't explode, thanks God. Love is always the last thing in the list because that's not how it works in the nature. Just saying. As long as you keep that in your mind, you'll be fine. :cool2:

Back