Touching and Moving

Vance

Reaction score
I found it interesting and I think maybe some of the parents here may would like to know (it is highly possible that some of you already know but I want to share what I found anyway)... I lately have been researching on children and their health issues. Here's a excrept from this wonderful book, Why Our Children Are Getting Sick and Running Wild ... and How To Keep Yours Healthy and Sane.

"Recent studies show that the absence of touching, cuddling, and movement for a baby can lead to learning and behavior disorders. In a study of 49 cultures, there was shown to be a direct correlation between the lack of physical affection, especially touching and movement during infancy and childhood, and the amount of adult crimes. The National Institute of Child Health says that early deprivation of touching, contact, and movement results in abnormal social and emotional behaviors later in life. These abnormalities included hyperactivity and depression.

The role of movements such as rocking in a cradle, touching things, crawling, walking upright, running, swinging arms, skipping, and other activities help the brain to develop coordination and balance. Since learning is a sensory process that must be reinforced by proper motor functioning of the brain, its important for babies and children to learn how to move. Movement stimulates the brain cells and helps regulate other brain functions that control physical, mental, psychological and social development. Not enough movement can cause poor sensory integration, which may cause difficulties in learning to read, write, and doarithmetic. Touching and movement in infancy and childhood is important to help the brain develop normally.

If a child did not get enough touching and movement, it is not too late to help him or her develop the areas of the brain that were adversely affected. One therapy is called sensory integration therapy, which involves increased stimulation in six sensory and motor areas: visual, auditory, touching, mobility, languages, and manual skills. Another therapy is writing. One researcher has developed a program to help children integrate their brains by writing in certain ways to music."
Source: Why Our Children Are Getting Sick and Running Wild ... and how to keep yours healthy and sane - pg. 150 - by Robert Bernardini, M.S.

What's your opinion of this information? Discuss.

Good topics glad u brought it up. My son have been thru like what it said. Cuddling and moving alot. I did lot of work with my son since his birth but his dad did nothing. Oh well, he is doing great but from time to time, he will get wheezing. But still very healthy child. I love him dearly. :D

Hey Magatsu,

Anything in your literature that suggests an increase in eating disorders as a result of not being nurtured as a child? Reason I ask is, I have a friend who grew up with very distant and abusive parents. He's recovered now, but he also suffered for years with anorexia.

Back