Touchdown success on Mars!

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
"In a show of technological wizardry, the robotic explorer Curiosity blazed through the pink skies of Mars, steering itself to a gentle landing inside a giant crater for the most ambitious dig yet into the red planet's past.
Cheers and applause echoed through the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory late Sunday after the most high-tech interplanetary rover ever built signaled it had survived a harrowing plunge through the thin Mars atmosphere.
"Touchdown confirmed," said engineer Allen Chen. "We're safe on Mars."

Read more: NASA rover 'Curiosity' lands on Mars after plummet | Fox News

I watched a whole thing. it's truly amazing. I thought it was so elaborate that there's a high chance that it won't work.

epic amazing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BudlaGh1A0o]Mars Science Laboratory (Curiosity Rover) Mission Animation - YouTube[/ame]

with caption -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s&hd=1]Challenges of Getting to Mars: Curiosity's Seven Minutes of Terror - YouTube[/ame]

first image from mars: :shock:

mars-marvin.jpg

"In a show of technological wizardry, the robotic explorer Curiosity blazed through the pink skies of Mars, steering itself to a gentle landing inside a giant crater for the most ambitious dig yet into the red planet's past.
Cheers and applause echoed through the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory late Sunday after the most high-tech interplanetary rover ever built signaled it had survived a harrowing plunge through the thin Mars atmosphere.
"Touchdown confirmed," said engineer Allen Chen. "We're safe on Mars."

Read more: NASA rover 'Curiosity' lands on Mars after plummet | Fox News

Yeah but is Mars safe with all that junk we keep dumping on it???

Meh, I don't see any new thing. Can't I get to see the true color photography instead add artificial color? Only I understood, that it may be different outside and black/white is less data to send from there to here. Time to send someone to Mars!

Meh, I don't see any new thing. Can't I get to see the true color photography instead add artificial color? Only I understood, that it may be different outside and black/white is less data to send from there to here. Time to send someone to Mars!

you'll have to wait for a bit while for "real" photography. give it about a week and they'll probably have great photos to show. the transmission takes about 7 minutes each way.

Do we really know how dumping our space junk on other planets effect the planet or us? I am not excited about dumping our junks on other planets.
This is a research vehicle, not junk.

I'm thrilled that it landed safely. This is so cool. :D

The rover will definitely take some breathtaking pictures of Mars, but there won't be any life forms other than bacteria.

Updated picture after the Rover's camera turned to the other side....

marsci.jpg

Every spacecraft that goes to another planet is strictly controlled against microbe contamination. The vehicles are built and processed in a clean room environment and are tested for contamination before flying in space. It is part of regulations in place to prevent contaminating the places we visit.

This is a research vehicle, not junk.

It will eventually become junk like everything else we when dump into space.
Great we mess up one planet so now let see now long it will take to mess up Mars!

It will eventually become junk like everything else we when dump into space.
Great we mess up one planet so now let see now long it will take to mess up Mars!
You don't have to worry about that because there's no harm done.

Back