Top ten reasons for customers at restaurants

If you don't have enough money for a tip, stay home and cook. U give the rest of us a bad rap!

I agree with u. While I was going to Gallaudet, I went out a lot with my friends and too often, I saw many deaf people refusing to leave a tip even though the server did a great job. I asked them why did they do that..they said cuz they are broke. I was like, huh? If u are so broke, why eat out? I dont know what was said after that but I remember being so turned off. Then one time, my hearing friend and I went to this restaurant and they saw us signing. They told us that they will include the tip in our bill. I was like, ok fine but why tell us. The woman said that she was tired of deaf people not tipping their servers. I was like, "oh great! Now we have a bad rep among the DC's restaurants?"

It is stupid not to leave a tip if the server does a good job. Need to stop being so stingy with money. If u want to eat out, gonna pay up!

Alot of times I tip the cooks too for excellant preparation. I stand there (watching the waitress)
waiting to make sure the cook does recieve the money from me and I wave.

Without the cooks, there is no restaurant.

If you don't have enough money for a tip, stay home and cook. U give the rest of us a bad rap!

well I take advantage of friends who will pay tip and I don't have to worry about paying too much but anyways.. so there.. ;) sometimes i take friend out to lunch and I pay the rest but depend on my moods.. anyways and I don't cook so tousi think twice before u say anything about cooking to me ;)

well I take advantage of friends who will pay tip and I don't have to worry about paying too much but anyways.. so there.. ;) sometimes i take friend out to lunch and I pay the rest but depend on my moods.. anyways and I don't cook so tousi think twice before u say anything about cooking to me ;)

Cheapskate. If you can't cook, go to McDonald's then. You don't have to tip anybody there.

Lol, thanks, P, man! Ok, wildzerica, I won't even think once about you anymore....dunno why you took it personally anyway; it's your behavior that precedes you and affects all of us. Your'e just a bad memory now, okay? Good....but I hope you eventually see how you and many other deaf people affect us as a whole and I think the more we talk about it, the better the chance to reverse this....

Someone said something about tipping the cook and I think that is alright on occasion but remember to still pay the waitress the going rate because she (in most states) just gets minimum wages where the cook gets paid more, either a full salary or a very good hourly wage, depending on the type of establishment.

Cheapskate. If you can't cook, go to McDonald's then. You don't have to tip anybody there.

:roll: I never eat at mcdonald's u don't know how california is expenvise... anyways I"m not gonna say anything anymore in this thread... have fun :wave:

I ALWAYS give the server tips, as long they do a good job with no bad attitude. If they are very friendly and make sure everything is all good, they get a bigger tip than we usually give them on average.

Good question! I haven't seen a waiteress here in Wa complain about a small tip, even for delivery drivers too. They generally are happy and don't mind whatever amount they earn.

Yes, delivery drivers, WC cleaners, Taxi, hairstyles, etc are still friendly, no matter either they receive the tips or not... It sound that they enjoy their job very much.

Tipping system in Resturants are uncommon in Europe since service charges are included in restaurant bills. Example: My meal cost €9.50 including VAT and service charge - I gave Waitress €10.00 and told her to keep change.

Last edited:
respect is a 2 way street..

Customers don't always respect the servers or managers, just like servers don't always respect customers.

And remember that the people providing service to you, will treat you the way you treat them. And as a former waitress, I know this well, so I always treat servers well and am always respectful of them.

Can you describe me the example what and how the customers disrespect the Servers or Managers?

I accept that it could be true but the customers are King and Queen as long as they visit their resturant and pay their bill correctly....

Why the owner set the Rule #2... It look like that he has the problem to deal with customers like this in the past... It could be problem is himself?
(I can tell from his behavior thru his Rule).

NEVER leave less than 20% tip. I don’t care what your "reason” may be, less than 20% is never acceptable. If you have a problem, tell the manager, it is NEVER okay to tip poorly.
Huh? That's crap. If a server ignores me, or brings the wrong food, or never brings me a refill so my mouth feels like the Sahara desert by the time I get to the end of my food, you can SURE BET I'm not tipping 20%. That's stupid. Tipping is "a feedback system". It teaches servers what's right and what's not. Of course its not ok if a customer is nitpicky and not tipping for silly things. That is wrong. However, when the server is totally incompetent, they don't get 20%. That encourages bad service. Period.

I don't have any experience like this because tipping system is not known in many Europe countries since Service charge and tax are including the bill.

I would have a question for you... Do you still have to pay if your report to Waitress, the Owner or Manager about the foods taste horrible, too salty, too sweet are being ignored?

Be nice, smile, and say “please” and “thank you” for everything. It’s never okay to act like a meanie.
Ok, that one I agree with. Always be courteous.... unless the server is really rude. If they're really rude, I see no reason to be courteous to a rude person.

True, but the customers are King and Queen, no matter what as long as they pay the bill correctly.

Learn to do simple math. Splitting checks can put a Server in the weeds faster than anything. So please just be aware.
Huh? You've got the computer / calculator / cash register, not me. Do it yourself. If your stupid computer doesn't make this easy, and you work in a restaurant, tell the manager to get a better computer. That's what computers are for, and a computer in a restaurant should make this easy. Maybe you should ask before you start taking the orders and make it easy on yourself.

:lol: true

Before you ask, please read the menu. Most of your answers are already there for you.
Uh, yeah, but unlike you, server person, I don't work here, so I have probably NEVER seen this huge menu before. A good server makes recommendations, they don't just stand there drooling waiting for me to read the huge book of a menu, and getting angry because I can't find things. Jerk.

*nodding agreement* It look like that he has no good patience with the customer or what?

When you are finished eating, please leave promptly. We need these tables, especially when we are busy. By staying at the table, you’re costing us money, so please just be courteous.
Umm... I'll leave when I damn well feel like it. I paid for my meal and the ambience of the restaurant.

Right... I alway get a cup of coffee or espresso to relax myself after finish my meal.

If you have a problem with your food, please tell us before you eat it. Taking food back is not a big deal, we want to help you, but when you ate the entire thing, it’s tough to believe you don’t like it. So when we ask, “how is everything”, just tell us.
Ok, I agree somewhat. It's depends on how much food I eat before i tell you there's a problem. Sometimes it might take me a few bites to figure out something is wrong (like having hairs or bugs in my food). Or, sometimes a server will bring a replacement, and the replacement is equally bad, and then just leave -- what am I supposed to do, starve? Get up and leave? Understand that I might complain, even after I've eaten the food, because I had no choice -- you just ignored me.

Simple leave without pay... but you have to inform them that you do not pay because the meal they serve you is not meet your satisfaction before you leave.

Sometimes, customers come into resturants being rude and obnoxious for no apparent reason, even if the host or hostess (person that is finding them a table) is polite to them. And the waiter or waitress is still polite, but the customer acts like Everything is wrong, food's wrong, ect ect...

it's not the people working at the resturant's fault, the customer just acts like that for no apparent reason.

Or the customer is very impatient, IE won't wait for thier food or drinks or whatever. Even if they got the best service, they still act like it was the worst they ever had. why? I don't know.

yes, the customer is always right, but sometimes customers come into resturant and give an undeserved attitude to the staff at the resturant. why? because the customer had a bad day or whatever.

And 95% of the time, servers put up with the attitude, because they want the tips. And yet, getting a lousy tip for their best service? See the problem?

Yes, delivery drivers, WC cleaners, Taxi, hairstyles, etc are still friendly, no matter either they receive the tips or not... It sound that they enjoy their job very much.

Tipping system in Resturants are uncommon in Europe since service charges are included in restaurant bills. Example: My meal cost €9.50 including VAT and service charge - I gave Waitress €10.00 and told her to keep change.

Wow, that's interesting Europe's tipping system isn't required. Thanks for letting me know. :)

I treat people the way I would like to be treated and hope for the same back. Although my dad was visiting form wa state and thought people here were rude.Its just Ithink in nj you just go about your business unless youre put into a one on one situation.that said now not being able to hear I wonder how many think I'm rude with a 'tude.Hope they dont do something to my food!:eek:

10. Do not come in five minutes before closing – this is just annoying. By this time, we are ready to split.

thats weird..... cuz at the restaurant where i was working at for 11 yrs.. they accepted no plms and served them foods even 5 mins before closing.. why? my boss want their money thats why... like i agree with others.. whoever posted that obivously is a whiner and that wont make money that way... :roll:

Back