Top Deaf Schools?

Which means? I'm guessing Typical Deaf School, where the early grades are really good, but it serves as one of those schools for kids who are really struggling in the maisntream? Damn if only we could reform the educational system and have parental self referrals be the norm across all the states that have Deaf Schools.

you oral something mainstream? I am curious?:lol:

The American School for the Deaf (ASD) is the oldest permanent school for the deaf in the United States. What’s more, the school became the first recipient of state aid to education in America when the Connecticut General Assembly awarded its first annual grant to the school in 1819. When the United States Congress awarded the school a land grant in the Alabama Territory in 1820, it was the first instance of federal aid to elementary and secondary special education in the United States.
he American School for the Deaf (ASD) is the oldest permanent school for the deaf in the United States. It was founded April 15, 1817 in Hartford, Connecticut by Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and Laurent Clerc and became a state-supported school in 1817.
The first deaf school established was Virginia School for the Deaf in 1780′s, but it closed few years later.

I just want to add my list of best schools for the Deaf along with its runner-ups.

Best

1. Maryland School for the Deaf (both campuses)

2. Indiana School for the Deaf (ISD)

3. California School for the Deaf-Fremont (CSDF) - I heard CSD-Riverside has been going downhill.

Runner-Ups

4. Florida School for the Deaf & the Blind (FSDB)

5. Texas School for the Deaf (TSD)

I just want to add my list of best schools for the Deaf along with its runner-ups.

Best

1. Maryland School for the Deaf (both campuses)

2. Indiana School for the Deaf (ISD)

3. California School for the Deaf-Fremont (CSDF) - I heard CSD-Riverside has been going downhill.

Runner-Ups

4. Florida School for the Deaf & the Blind (FSDB)

5. Texas School for the Deaf (TSD)

How do their curriculum compare against regular high school public schools? (especially in math and science) Where do they usually send those students for colleges?

(I had visited a local deaf school and I wasn't very impressed at all, so it made me more curious about other deaf schools in the nation)

shelia, bear in mind that unfortuantly most deaf schools are last resort placements for kids not thriving in the mainstream. The early years and grades tend to be AWESOME! But a lot of kids transfer after struggling in the mainstream. Matter of fact, the reason why Clarke/CID/St. Joseph's had viable dorm programs was b/c a lot of kids transferred there for middle school. Also a lot of the kids who are solotaire maisntreamed are doing even worse believe it or not...right jillo? The typical solotaire-streamed student is one who's in special ed/resource room for a lot of their subjects, including English...heck even a lot of the AG Bell students lag in English a bit.

How do their curriculum compare against regular high school public schools? (especially in math and science) Where do they usually send those students for colleges?

(I had visited a local deaf school and I wasn't very impressed at all, so it made me more curious about other deaf schools in the nation)

Maryland school for the Deaf uses the Frederick county public school curriculum

I think a lot of judgment being passed onto deaf schools here are based on individual experiences, which may have been positive or negative because of a certain staff member etc.. there are reasons for rules, reasons for discipline...

anyway, i'm not a big fan of "ranking"... all deaf schools have positives and negatives if you ask me.

to the person asking about OSD-- it's a wonderful school and community :) i student taught there, and it was a WONDERFUL experience. You are in good hands.

Back