Tom Humperies or Paddy Ladd?

Grummer

Reaction score
Who is better?

and why?

and who is more relevent?

and who is more in touch with reality which deaf people face?

Humperies is USA, and Ladd is from UK, is this reason you prefer? or is it the intellectual stance?

They have starkly different background......or do they?
and do they have VERY different ideas , how so?

Thanks for your time to chime in and throw in some light to it

Actually, grummer, from my perspective, Ladd and Humphries subscribe to much of the same basic philosophies. Perhaps the difference in the way they present their philosophies is culturally based, as well as tied into value systems.

does anyone agree with Jillio or disagree about the sameness shared between ladd and Humperies?

If I'm not mistaken, both of them were born deaf but grew up without having any contact with the d/Deaf community (and learning/using sign language) until early adulthood.

Considering that both of them and their publications are usually held in high regards in the field of Deaf Studies, I find the fact they did not come into contact and become a part of the d/Deaf community until adulthood very interesting. Especially since both of them talk about deaf culture.

I might be wrong about this- I need to double check. Your question is very interesting...made me really stop and think :).

I find the fact they did not come into contact and become a part of the d/Deaf community until adulthood very interesting. Especially since both of them talk about deaf culture.

In a way it is easier to ask someone who is not native to a culture to explain it. Why? Because we notice the "different" more than the "same".

Ask a Deaf person on the street what are values of Deaf culture, and they will probably mention sign language, visual communication (pictures, etc), flashing lights. It takes a little longer to remember about tapping, and then dissecting where is appropriate to be tapped. Most won't remember "personal space" (about 1.5-2 metres for Deaf friends in conversation in Australia, but .75-1.25 metres for hearing Australians). Walking in between Deaf people talking without bobbing down. Talking directly, not talking hearing euphemisms. Stating "Deaf" or "hearing" in introductions... and so on.

That's why for an anthropologist, doing field work in your own community is considered the most difficult :)

deafbajagal and info officer, this is cool. This interesting comments about this anthropological aspect had me pondering. Yeah, in the same vein perhaps not being 'involved' in deaf politics might yeild a similar results. While, that said, the details of affairs within this sphere might lack, but it would trade off some depths for better tracing of the drive for power in the deaf community and further description of its effects abroad.

:)

Back