Toddler's Temper Ousts Family From Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve

Reaction score
Top News- Toddler's Temper Ousts Family From Plane - AOL News

ORLANDO, Fla. (Jan. 23) - AirTran Airways on Tuesday defended its decision to remove a Massachusetts couple from a flight after their crying 3-year-old daughter refused to take her seat before takeoff.

AirTran officials said they followed Federal Aviation Administration rules that children age 2 and above must have their own seat and be wearing a seat belt upon takeoff.

"The flight was already delayed 15 minutes and in fairness to the other 112 passengers on the plane, the crew made an operational decision to remove the family," AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver said.

Julie and Gerry Kulesza, who were headed home to Boston on Jan. 14 from Fort Myers, said they just needed a little more time to calm their daughter, Elly.

"We weren't given an opportunity to hold her, console her or anything," Julie Kulesza said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

The Kuleszas said they told a flight attendant they had paid for their daughter's seat, but asked whether she could sit in her mother's lap. The request was denied.

She was removed because "she was climbing under the seat and hitting the parents and wouldn't get in her seat" during boarding, Graham-Weaver said.

The Orlando-based carrier reimbursed the family $595.80, the cost of the three tickets, and the Kuleszas flew home the next day.

They also were offered three roundtrip tickets anywhere the airline flies, Graham-Weaver said.

The father said his family would never fly AirTran again.
I felt the airline was overly generous in offering the family 3 roundtrip tickets, afterall, it isnt the airlines fault that this couple has an unruly child.

ouch....
sound alike airline have no patience w/them.. (chuckles)
Oh brother...

but nice offer as quite good generous least still not enuff..

I would have taken that offer. That guy is :crazy:

Why should the airline be patient with them? They had 112 other passengers to consider. Everyone shouldn't have to be inconvenienced just because the parents are unable to control their child.

This is another example of where a nice swat on the bottom would have worked wonders.

3-year-old unnerves airline [Girl taken off flight for crying too much]

Meet Elly Kulesza, Terror Toddler.

In her finer moments—mainly when she’s on land — 3-year-old Elly is an adorable and sweet-mannered child, a blue-eyed charmer who likes to dance and harbors a particular fondness for Thomas the Tank Engine.

“She’s a typical 3-year-old,” said her mother, Julie Kulesza of 7 Primrose St. in Worcester. “She has her moments like all 3-year-olds, but she’s not like one of those ‘Nanny 911’ children you see on TV.”

Elly’s dad, Gerald Kulesza, is a full-time EMT in Boston who also attends nursing school full time, and he did so well last semester that Elly’s mom surprised her husband with a trip to Florida to visit his parents, who live in Bonita Springs. So on Jan. 11, the family flew from Logan Airport to Fort Meyers on AirTran Airways, and even though it was Elly’s first plane trip she behaved like a dream and spent most of the flight coloring in her coloring book and watching movies on a portable DVD player.

“She was great,” her mom remembered. “When we made our descent into Florida we could see the water and she shouted, ‘Look, mommy, there’s the beach where we go swimming,’ and everyone laughed.”

Yes, it was a heartwarming moment for all concerned, and the trip was great, too. The family swam and went sightseeing, and on Jan 14 they drove back to the airport for the return trip home. They checked their luggage — a suitcase and a car seat. As they waited for their flight to be called, Elly contentedly munched on a bag of Cheetos and watched out the window as the planes took off and landed.

Then came … The Boarding. Suddenly and without warning, angelic little Elly morphed into every parents’ nightmare.

Her mom thinks it may have been because of the ear surgery Elly underwent earlier this month, and perhaps her memory of the discomfort and ear pressure she endured during the plane’s descent into Florida. For whatever reason, when they got on the plane, Elly started to cry and wouldn’t stop. Nor would she sit down — she plopped herself down on the floor in front of her seat and proceeded to throw a temper tantrum.

“I was trying to console her and the stewardess came over and said, ‘Did you buy that seat for her?’ remembers Ms. Kulesza, 31, who is four months pregnant. “I said yes, and she told me my daughter needs to sit in it. I told her I was trying.”

Moments later, an AirTran Airways employee armed with a walkie-talkie addressed Mr. Kulesza.

“Sir, you need to get her under control,” she said.

“We’re trying,” Mr. Kulesza noted.

The passengers, meanwhile, were quite understanding and one of them offered the toddler a lollipop, which she rejected. Then the walkie-talkie woman returned to the Kuleszas’ aisle and displayed the raw tact and diplomacy of Donald Trump.

“Sir, you need to get off the plane,” she announced.

“What?” a stunned Mr. Kulesza asked. “Are you serious?”

“Sir, you need to get off the plane now.”

They got off the plane, while their luggage and car seat flew on to Boston. In the terminal they were directed to an AirTran supervisor, who told the couple that the stewardess was uncomfortable “because you have an unruly child who struck a woman on board.”

Mr. Kulesza was incredulous. “That was her mother,” he explained. “She hit her on the arm. Lady, this is a 3-year-old child we’re talking about.”

“Sir, we don’t differentiate between 3 and 33,” the AirTran supervisor replied. Mr. Kulesza said the woman proceeded to lecture him about child discipline, and how she would never tolerate her children behaving in such a manner, at which point Mr. Kulesza said, “You really need to stop talking now.”

The couple were also told that, since they had been ejected from the plane, they were banned from flying with AirTran for 24 hours. So they were forced to return to Bonita Springs for the night, and Mr. Kulesza missed a 16-hour work shift, and the next day they returned to the airport and can surely be forgiven if they fed their daughter enough Children’s Benadryl to fell a stallion. I exaggerate, perhaps, but it’s certainly what I would have done. In any case, Elly slept through the return flight home.

The incident has sparked varied responses from those who heard the story. While many people — mostly parents — sympathize with the Kuleszas, others are less inclined. For example, when I related the tale to an unnamed colleague and asked if he had ever heard of an airline bouncing a child from a flight he said, “No, but I’m all for it. Couldn’t they have checked her with the baggage?”

This colleague, as it happens, has no kids.

AirTran, meanwhile, has apparently had a change of heart. After the airline received a phone call Thursday from yours truly, an AirTran customer service rep called the Kuleszas, apologized profusely for the incident and refunded them the $595 cost of their tickets.

“We do believe the situation could have been handled differently,” said AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver. “We will use this case as a means to train our agents on dealing with this type of situation on our flights … While there are FAA regulations that mandate all passengers have to be securely fastened in their seat belts before a plane can depart, we need to work with our customers in situations like this to help them — and that is what we will focus on.”

Ms. Kulesza is appreciative of the response, but believes she could have calmed her daughter down, if given the chance.

“It wasn’t like she had a bomb strapped to her waist,” she noted.

AirTran also extended another offer to the Kuleszas — free airline tickets to the destination of their choosing. The offer has been declined.

“I said I appreciated it, but I told them not to bother,” Ms. Kulesza said. “We won’t ever be flying with that airline again.”

*shake my head*

I have no sympathy for the child-unfriendly airline workers. They are suppose be patience and offer to help passengers and get something for them to draw the papers, toy etc... to play...

I travel a lot with my family to oversea and also long hours on the flight to half world as well... I never had an experience like this... My children are being offer from friendly airliners... They gave them toys and paper and color pencils to draw... communicate with them.... I just can´t believe that they have to being remove because of this.

We paid our 2 flight seats for our 2 toddlers. Of course they are cried when they sat on the flight seat... I can understand because of flight atmosphere to "scare" them... They don´t mind that our toddlers want to sit on our lap until they are calm down then go back to sit on the flight seat. I´m very glad to pick right flights where there´re caring and understanding airliners around.

Thanks for warning, then I won´t take that child-unfriendly plane AirTran. Follow the rules is important than try to understand the parents.... and worry about 122 passengars... I´m sure that they are also understanding people because they know what the toddler is.

Hmm... I wonder if the parents discipline the girl enough. It doesn't seem so.

Hmm... I wonder if the parents discipline the girl enough. It doesn't seem so.

To my knowledge...

I guess that flight atmosphere scare the children... some children cried or quiet... The parents are patience with her and tried to calm her down but airliners do not give them the chance to calm a 3 years old girl...but want them remove.... *shake my head*

I'd think that the airline was being generous because they had another passengers to think about. Yes, it is totally understandable that the child was needed to give time to calm down but really, sometime it can be out of control and the child needs the comfort.

The passengers were willing to wait a little bit longer but they also had other flights (supposedly if they were on a layover) and needed to get to their desintation. So, in overall I think it was fair enough that the couple and their child got off the plane because there is always another next flight to catch on for them to get to their desination. They are lucky enough to get that generous offer from the airline because most airline companies would not be that generous to do so.

I agree with Vampy. Obviously the child wasn't the little joy her parents are portraying her as. No 3-year-old child just hits their mother out of the blue. This behavior has obviously been condoned in the past. If it had been my child, I would have swatted their bottom, picked them up and put them in the seat and told them to be quiet. It isn't fair to other passengers to be couped up with an unruly, screaming child who is hitting her mother and climbing all over the place. Not to mention, if I missed another flight due to the behavior of a child on the airplane, I would be more inconsolable than the brat was.

My perspective on 3 years old girl of the parents on airplane could be deaf. If you are parents of that deaf kid and how can you handle deaf kid in airplane??? Tell me how discuss???

She's not brat, most young children get scared that normal, so I don't blame the 3 years old girl for crying, but the parents have to understand that there are also other passengers to think about too, it was very nice of the airline to give a toddler a lollipop, refund the parents 3 tickets, and also free airline tickets to the destination of their choosing, wow, not alot of alines would offer something like this, that's a shame to hear the parents refused the ofter...Parents got to learn to be fair in this since it does go both ways....do your part and they do theirs...

Eve;710750[/url said:
I felt the airline was overly generous in offering the family 3 roundtrip tickets, afterall, it isnt the airlines fault that this couple has an unruly child.

Offer money for just tickets to get other plane and also offer them free to choose anywhere is a joking. I :applause: the parents for reject their offer. They are not stupid... I beleive that they will go to lawyer to claim the money refund and plus value their increase stress and time loss. It will cost AirTran more than just lousy $595.80 for that just tickets.

I know from my experiences that NEVER accept their offer if you are unsure but go to lawyer....

You can image if you were in their shoes... They have to wait for long hours for get other plane... and plus get their cases return from AirTran airline.

How many hours they lose their value time and increase their stress? For that just lousy $595.80 for only tickets... :nono:

Last edited:
Why should the airline be patient with them? They had 112 other passengers to consider. Everyone shouldn't have to be inconvenienced just because the parents are unable to control their child.

That's problem... I beleive it would be okay if stewardess let her sit on mother's lap and understanding that a little girl need mother's attention to calm her down...

We were on the plane dozen of times with no problem... I paid flight seat for my toddlers... stewardesses are understanding people and let my almost 3 years old son sat on my lap then go back to flight seat instead of wait for him to calm down but fly off ...

From your previous link

AirTran officials said they followed Federal Aviation Administration rules that children age 2 and above must have their own seat and be wearing a seat belt upon takeoff.

From my previous link
“I was trying to console her and the stewardess came over and said, ‘Did you buy that seat for her?’ remembers Ms. Kulesza, 31, who is four months pregnant. “I said yes, and she told me my daughter needs to sit in it. I told her I was trying.”

The parents tried everything to calm her down... Why can't stewardess let her to sit on mother's or father's lap...? Did you know that the flight atompshere scare a lot of toddlers/children...? It affect some of children's ear infection as well... I know because it was affected my son... Thank God, that I pick right flight with understanding and child-friendly airliners and also understanding passengars as well... They don't care about the rules but care how to calm the children down...I hold him on my lap until he calm down and sleep on my arm.... and wake up one hour later then go back to seat next me... If sit on the lap is work... that's good instead of kick them out of plane because they lose their 15 minutes time and follow the rules that 2 years old must sit on the seat, etc... No wonder why the parents reject their offer to get 3 tickets... Just 3 tickets... where is their value time loss and stress?

I agree with Vampy. Obviously the child wasn't the little joy her parents are portraying her as. No 3-year-old child just hits their mother out of the blue. This behavior has obviously been condoned in the past. If it had been my child, I would have swatted their bottom, picked them up and put them in the seat and told them to be quiet. It isn't fair to other passengers to be couped up with an unruly, screaming child who is hitting her mother and climbing all over the place. Not to mention, if I missed another flight due to the behavior of a child on the airplane, I would be more inconsolable than the brat was.

It has nothing do with parental discipline... Each child is different... Some children are fear and panic when they see "odd" atmosphere when they join for a first time is normal...

I have seen some toddlers crying or panic in airport or on the planes... It doesn't affect me because I know it's normal. It's good to know that the parents tried to do everything to take their children's fear away... and calm them down...

She's not brat, most young children get scared that normal, so I don't blame the 3 years old girl for crying,

Right

but the parents have to understand that there are also other passengers to think about too,

I see no excuse for this action what they did. I beleive everything would be okay if Airliners let a girl to sit on mother's lap instead of worry about the rules to make her to sit on the flight seat...and wait for 15 minutes then kick them out because of passengers...

it was very nice of the airline to give a toddler a lollipop, refund the parents 3 tickets, and also free airline tickets to the destination of their choosing, wow, not alot of alines would offer something like this, that's a shame to hear the parents refused the ofter...Parents got to learn to be fair in this since it does go both ways....do your part and they do theirs...

Offer lollipop is not solve... Accord my link, No wonder that a girl suffer ear pain or want to sit her mother's lap to comfort than worry about lollipop... All what the stewardness do is get her to sit on the seat accord airline's rules... Yes, normally they should follow the rules to get 3 years old to sit on the seat but Stewardness must to get airliner permission before allow 3 years old to sit on parent's lap... Why can't they do that then? It was happeend to me before... with my son Alan accord his ear infection. No problem.

Sure, it's nice of the Airline to offer them 3 tickets and free airline tickets but it's not enough. They only make their offer to them is because they want to save their good reputation. I see no excuse for their "generous" offer... I would reject their offer and go to see lawyer to claim my rights.

It makes no difference either they receive the offer from any Airliners or not but they still will get the claim back with the help from lawyer accord their rights.. Their offer is not the best solution what everyone thought because the parents lost their value time and increase their stress... Their value times and increase stress cost more than their offer.

My 12 years old daughter cried alot when the plane landed down few weeks ago, because of ear pressure, I can feel it for the FIRST TIME, oh boy its real hurt - Before that I don't have this problem - strange huh!

Also back then. when she was 4 years old toddler, in plane, the lady sit next to us told me to mind her because she kicked and moving alot to annoy her, I respect her knowing how would I feel if I was her, I tried hard to tell her not to touch the chair much, its not easy to explain to a 4 years old girl knowing we will spent 24 hours inside the plane journey each trip!!

Its important to remember everyone entitled to a peaceful journey, not matter if its a crying baby or drunk or hijacked passenger, you named it.

Yes, Danny got an ear infection when we were on the plane on way to Sinpagore in 2000... He cried a lot... Stewardness and we comfort him... We are lucky to have understanding passengars around who give us tip how to calm him down... it's very painful...

Its important to remember everyone entitled to a peaceful journey, not matter if its a crying baby or drunk or hijacked passenger, you named it.

Disagree... You can't compare crying baby with drunk or whatever because baby crying is normal and drunk or whatever is not normal.

All what I want to say is I'm lucky to pick good and child-friendly flights.

It would annoy me if the parents do nothing than try anything to take care of crying baby/toddlers.

Disagree... You can't compare crying baby with drunk or whatever because baby crying is normal and drunk or whatever is not normal.

Hearing People always telling me "Your lucky to be deaf" after listening a crying baby nearby. I shrug as I don't know what it is like to hear myself.

I can put up with drunk people as long they don't come near me!! LOL

Also bear in mind some passengers are first time flyer, and some are phobia of flight, and to see the drama makes it worst!!

Hearing People always telling me "Your lucky to be deaf" after listening a crying baby nearby. I shrug as I don't know what it is like to hear myself.

Yes I receive kind of complaint from hearing parents like this before but everyone knows what babies/toddlers are. They keep on telling me how lucky I am. They thought deafies parents have stress-free without listen horrible sounds to take care of children which not true... We (deafies and hearies) have same stress to take care of our children´s movement. I often explained them that it makes no difference between deafies and hearies...

Why?

The hearing people can hear with their own ears to hear everything and easy for them to hear and catch....and stress with pain of horrible sounds... Some hearing parents use wool cotton to cover their ears or headphone to prevent horrible sounds.

The deaf people can see with their own eyes and stress with their eyes to every children´s movements... and have flash lighting to bother us when the babies/toddlers cries. Some deafies parents turn HA or CI off to prevent horrible sounds.

I see no difference on them.

I can put up with drunk people as long they don't come near me!! LOL

Sit next to drunk people? What if he or she vomit over you or smell his/his alcohol breath... :eek3: :ugh3:

Also bear in mind some passengers are first time flyer, and some are phobia of flight, and to see the drama makes it worst!!

:confused: what crying babies do with this since everyone knows what babies/toddlers are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back