Toddler with hearing loss

AshJagla,

First off, your daughter is adorable. I wish you luck on your journey whatever road you choose, just keep an open mind and realize that your choices do not have to be set in stone. A friend of mine who is no longer a member of this forum asked me to let you know that she lives near you and if you feel like reaching out to a prent of a deaf child, she would be more than happy to talk to you. You can find her by googling the blog she writes about her daughter: Miss Kat's Deaf Journey.

Good luck and best wishes.
Rick

Should be made clear she was banned for dishonest and reprehensible behavior, so might not be the best choice as a mentor.

No worries, Rick. I know it aggravates you when practically nobody else agrees with you. (And some of those few who do, are banned.) Hence, you've got your own forum. Buyer beware. :wave:

Oh no.

= "buyer beware"

Instead of anonymous posters on an internet forum, many of whom like you have an anti-cochlear implant for children agenda, she can meet and talk to a real live person: a mother who also has a deaf child who signs, speaks and has a ci.

I know that frightens you and your friends but giving her and any parent options is the best way to help her decide what is best for her child.

No worries, Rick. I know it aggravates you when practically nobody else agrees with you. (And some of those few who do, are banned.) Hence, you've got your own forum. Buyer beware. :wave:

Tsk, tsk Catwoman now you and your little friends are showing your true colors. Must be real boring over at ND!

Enjoy the evening!

Tsk, tsk Catwoman now you and your little friends are showing your true colors. Must be real boring over at ND!

Enjoy the evening!

Oh, actually, I don't mind one bit that you call me CatWoman. (it's a capital W, by the way.) I don't put up the hissy fit you do.

Instead of anonymous posters on an internet forum, many of whom like you have an anti-cochlear implant for children agenda, she can meet and talk to a real live person: a mother who also has a deaf child who signs, speaks and has a ci.

I know that frightens you and your friends but giving her and any parent options is the best way to help her decide what is best for her child.

It is always nice to be able to connect with another parent who has been in a similar position. You can ask questions, and gather more information to help determine the most appropriate path for your individual child.

I definitely agree with the others that ASL is an important and valuable tool/language to use in the process of enabling any deaf child's communication abilities.

Enjoy the evening!

:lol: You trying to intimidate by exposing identities??

Last edited:
Thanks! We think she's kinda cute too :giggle:

My husband is from Belleville, IL and I'm from Sparta, IL. We're super southern IL now in Saline County, so it's quite a drive for us to get over that way, but totally worth it. I've heard that Memphis is really the place to go for hearing though, I'm not sure how true that is, but I'm considering looking into it. :hmm:

*rubs hands*
Illinois School for the Deaf
Also, if you're closer to another state's Deaf School, you can often be served by that state's Deaf School......Kentucky School For the Deaf
Tennessee School for the Deaf
and since you mentioned St. Louis: Missouri School for the Deaf
I think almost any major medical hospital with a good audi program would be able to serve you well.

And I know you're reluctant about CIs, but they can be a good option for some kids. You just gotta be careful they're not "selling" it to you.

I think sign language is great! So no matter what, we will all be learning. Zoe has already learned her first sign, more, she does it all the time when she wants something now, it's a really good feeling to watch her communicate with us. Her 2 1/2 yr old sister is picking up signs even faster than my husband and I are and I have to be extra careful not to get the sign wrong or it confuses her.

Rick - Thanks so much, I've found her blog and have marked it for reading tonight!

Deafdyke - Oo good call! The audiologist in StL has already applied us to several schools for the deaf in MO and the IL school in Jacksonville in hopes that maybe their outreach programs could take us in. But I never thought of looking into TN or KY which we are really close to as well, I will have to do that. Thank you for the suggestion :)

As for CI's... I'm still not sure how I feel. If it comes to the point that even with aids she can hear nothing, I will probably end up taking her to get the cochlear implants, but I'm holding out on making that kind of decision until we know what's going on for sure. It's hard to think of my little baby on the operation table.

Hmm, I wonder where my first post went?

Hmm, I wonder where my first post went?

Apparently the mods removed some posts. It was pointed out that the mother (friend of Rick48 above) is no longer a member here because of fraudulent and ugly behavior, so take what you read with a grain of salt. He was referring to Faire Jour or GrendelQ, both of whom have been banished from here.

AshJagla,

As a parent of a deaf child, I stood in your shoes over 25 years ago. At that time we explored many options before ultimately choosing a course for our daughter that we felt was in her best interests. All along the way, we continued to monitor, ask questions and listen to others but as we ultimately found out, that while we initially chose the course, it was our daughter's progress that kept her and us on that course.

What was right for our child may not be best for your children as each child and each family situation is unique. There is no one best or right way for every child but you probably already know that.

I passed along a request from someone I know who believes she lives in your area. What you choose to do with that is your business and no one else's but I will tell you this: this is not a forum that is friendly to parents of ci children, especially those who incorporate oral speech as the only and/or one of the communication modes for their children. If being banned from AD is something you deem important so be it but you can read her blog and make your own determination.

Either way, best of luck to you and to your family.
Rick

Back