To those that have CIs...

FeistyChick

Reaction score
what brand do you have and why did you pick it?

such as:
clarion
nucleus 24
nucleus espirit 3G
freedom
bionic
med el, etc

hi Chickie
I chose Clarion for my son.. it was between that and Nucleus... there was not enough feedback about the Medels to consider it. The body worn Nucleus processor controls were digital compared to the Clarion manual controls,,, I felt there was less possibility for something to short out or go wrong. Also, my son is a bull in a china shop and the Clarion seemed more sturdy. His audiologist was not allowed to reccomend one model over the other,,, only tell about the features... then I had to make the decision. Being that Advanced Bionics is less than an hour from where we live, I also thought it would be eassier and faster for repairs replacements and such.
Something happened to my sons internal parts of the CI a year ago and it stopped working. It is a rare case but it happened. He had to get implanted again. Advanced Bionics covered the costs of everything.. so I didnt have to deal with insurance companies again. They even sent out reps the day of the surgery and during following mappings to make sure everything went well.
While it surely seemed a tragedy he had to go thru another surgery... he was implanted with a newer model and is doing much better with it.
He has moved on to a BTE ( behind the ear) and loves it.
Hope that helps a bit.. feel free to email if you have any other questions :)

Tara

i acually picked the nucleus contour 24.. then when the freedom just released.. my audiologist recommand me to get the nucleus freedom.. because it will be better in a long run so i choiced that over nucleus contour 24.

choiced the BTE model. because i think it is better than having a box on my belt. also the BTE model have the sensivity and volume control which is awsome.

i didn't pick the med-el because there's not enough information.. and the audiologist isn't fimilar with med-el much. and its not popular in america.

I was several months shy of being implanted with the Nucleus Freedom, so I have the Nucleus 24 Contour Advance.

I chose Cochlear because of their 20+ year history as a company who deals exclusively with CIs. In addition, they have the largest customer base which allows for more dollars spent in the areas of research and development of CI technology.

Whether I contacted Cochlear by TTY or e-mail, I always received professional and courteous customer service. Their staff also put me in touch with several CI users in my area who had a similar hearing history to mine so that I could ask them questions about their CI experiences.

I chose the Nucleus 24 not only because of the features found on the 3G BTE speech processor (disposable 675 batteries that can be purchased anywhere, a built-in T-coil which allows me to flip a switch and talk on the phone with ease, Whisper setting which enhances softer sounds, a choice of slow and fast speech strategies), but also because of backward compatability for those who have older CIs. For example, even though the Freedom BTE is new technology, it is backward compatable meaning that people who have the N22, N24, N24C and N24CA implants will be able to take advantage of many features found on the Freedom including BEAM directional microphones, ADRO, 4 program slots and a water resistant case.

When selecting a CI, it's important to remember that you are selecting an implant that you will have for the rest of your life. When you pick a CI and are implanted, there's no going back. Choose the CI which gives you the features you want/will use as well as a company (whoever that may be -- Advanced Bionics, Med-El or Cochlear) you trust. :)

deafscuba: I also didn't select Med-El for the same reason. In addition, my audi didn't think their speech processors were accessible to me as a totally blind person. My two choices were Advanced Bionics' HiResolution 90K and Cochlear's Nucleus 24 Contour Advance.

The FDA also cautioned that about 2 percent of patients actually suffered worsened hearing after implantation, 5 percent had long-term ear pain and 16 percent reported a permanent feeling of "fullness" in the ear.

From my perspective FDA did not receive fully honest report from Deaf Toddler/adolescents who are suffering headache, fluid leak, and dizzy due to not able to communication. At 18 months old Deaf children will tell us the specification how they feel due to suffer and painful??

I am VERY against for the parents who make the decision for their Deaf/Hard of Hearing children.

I am very disappointed in FDA for not update previously occurring to the youngest children who had failure with their cochlear implants. I heard several children are suffered with headache and fluid leak. They had to removal their CI which their insurance do not coverage that.

I prefer to leave Deaf children alone to explose in ASL as natural their language in sign language. *big sigh*

I do respect for the adults who make the decision. It is their bodies !! I am so sick of hearing to read or rumors that cochlear implants are successful for the Deaf children's speech and language development. Their mental and physical are suffered from the dizzy and headache.

I would not image how many out there innocence Deaf children went through like those symptoms that many hearing/deaf parents are not realized how dangerous for their children.

"there is a problem of language development"!!! Have these money grabbing idiots ever heard of Sign Language? Just more of the typical misinformation from the Biomedical Industries.

The surgerical doctors are not accurately performance on the little kids !Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr parents !!!

I am not going to debate about the children who get their implants ! I may end up punch on the parents's faces ! Keep my 8 fingers and two thumbs under my legs and shut fucking my fingers up !

Sabrina said:
The FDA also cautioned that about 2 percent of patients actually suffered worsened hearing after implantation, 5 percent had long-term ear pain and 16 percent reported a permanent feeling of "fullness" in the ear.

From my perspective FDA did not receive fully honest report from Deaf Toddler/adolescents who are suffering headache, fluid leak, and dizzy due to not able to communication. At 18 months old Deaf children will tell us the specification how they feel due to suffer and painful??

I am VERY against for the parents who make the decision for their Deaf/Hard of Hearing children.

I am very disappointed in FDA for not update previously occurring to the youngest children who had failure with their cochlear implants. I heard several children are suffered with headache and fluid leak. They had to removal their CI which their insurance do not coverage that.

I prefer to leave Deaf children alone to explose in ASL as natural their language in sign language. *big sigh*

I do respect for the adults who make the decision. It is their bodies !! I am so sick of hearing to read or rumors that cochlear implants are successful for the Deaf children's speech and language development. Their mental and physical are suffered from the dizzy and headache.

I would not image how many out there innocence Deaf children went through like those symptoms that many hearing/deaf parents are not realized how dangerous for their children.

"there is a problem of language development"!!! Have these money grabbing idiots ever heard of Sign Language? Just more of the typical misinformation from the Biomedical Industries.

The surgerical doctors are not accurately performance on the little kids !Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr parents !!!

I am not going to debate about the children who get their implants ! I may end up punch on the parents's faces ! Keep my 8 fingers and two thumbs under my legs and shut fucking my fingers up !

MODS: please move this to the thread CIs in CHILDREN intitated by JENNIFER_S_H cuz i think that's where this should be posted.. not in here.. cuz it off the topic.. thanks!

i understand your feelings sabby... we all have our own opinions and perspectives on CIs :)

FeistyChick said:
MODS: please move this to the thread CIs in CHILDREN intitated by JENNIFER_S_H cuz i think that's where this should be posted.. not in here.. cuz it off the topic.. thanks!

i understand your feelings sabby... we all have our own opinions and perspectives on CIs :)

I did not see Jennifer's thread. Thanks for redirect it to me... Okay.. I am going to move the comment to her thread.

Mod: you can remove my comment. Thanks.

I got the same as hear again.I can't really remember having a choice of brands but i think i my audiologist said that cochlear was the best.I didn't have a problem with cochlear brand based on their past.

Back