to late???

nirenameit

Reaction score
Is it ever to late to get HA's? I born deaf in right ear, hoh in my left. I never have HA's or CI's. I have moderate hearing in my left. Can i still get HA ?

well, I think it is up to your Audiologist to determine that. were you able to hear spoken languages at all? If you can hear spoken languages, Do you have a hard time communicating with people ? Those are signs that you need some sort of assistance.

Sure you can get Hearing Aids, its never too late. I think you may need to get your hearing evaluated so that the audiologist can see what hearing aid is best for you. If you have a moderate hearing in your left ear, you might get the inner ear piece type of hearing aid which is good for little hearing loss level compared to the behind the ear hearing aid which is for hoh to profound. It might be difficult to adjust right away ,its like fitting a new shoes needing time to get used to it.
Good luck

Sure you can get Hearing Aids, its never too late. I think you may need to get your hearing evaluated so that the audiologist can see what hearing aid is best for you. If you have a moderate hearing in your left ear, you might get the inner ear piece type of hearing aid which is good for little hearing loss level compared to the behind the ear hearing aid which is for hoh to profound. It might be difficult to adjust right away ,its like fitting a new shoes needing time to get used to it.
Good luck

or a middle ear implant

yeah

Yes i was able to hear spoken languages cause i had full hearin in my left ear at one time. now its going. never heard out of my right ear. My parents allowed me to do what i wanted and i not wanted HA's or nothing back then. I have hard time understand what people say and have to have them reapeat alot. Hubby complains music and tv too loud all the time.

sounds like you need HA. That's a good thing that you heard spoken languages. It will make it easy on you to understand what the people are saying with your HA.

Re:nirenameit

Hi again Nirenameit,
I posted in the other subject about cochlear Implants, I assumed you were hearing at the time. for a deaf mother who has a deaf child i have never seen the parent would go for CI for the child. Normally they would be against it. Its still up to you in what you want to do and signing is the way to go to communicate with your daughter.
Ive experieinced that before saying to my ex gf , the tv and sound is too loud and had to ask her to lower it down cos my hearing roomates were home at the time. I sometimes blast it loud too and if im in a bad mood i'll blast it loud for all i care lol.

its interesting to learn that deaf can love music but that music may not be in their taste if they were hearing. Nothing wrong with that. I mean is they might love the vibration of hard ,heavy metal thundering drums and riffs, even dance music. If the person loved music so much in the past and no longer able hear music and want to hear again, hearing aids may help and the CI might be even better. Looking at captions on tv on music without hearing aids on, i would read the lyrics and cannot hear the music, i'd often wonder what it sounds like and u feel like youre missing out. ( thats for a music lover's point of view)
Lipreading is the key for me and is a backup to understanding what the people are saying if i cant hear them so i have advantage on that will make me ask people less times to repeat what they said.

lol

lol, i love captions on my tv, hubby hates them. He lives though cause means he can have the volume lower for him. :giggle:
I can lip read too, only if person is facing front

Hi again Nirenameit,
I posted in the other subject about cochlear Implants, I assumed you were hearing at the time. for a deaf mother who has a deaf child i have never seen the parent would go for CI for the child. Normally they would be against it. .

I think that would hold true for a culturally deaf person but wouldn't hold so true for a deaf parent whose primary mode of communication was speech.

I certainly know of cases of oral deaf parents who have implanted their children and in fact one of the Cochlear information CDs featured a deaf couple who had a deaf son and they were going through the process of getting a CI for him. Since such people value having oral skills then this is not surprising.

However even with culturally deaf people they are not universally no CIs either. The Artinians for example eventually went with CIs for their kids. You might like to read some of Fragmenter's posts here. He is a deaf signer who recently went ahead with a CI for his son and he is thinking about getting one for himself.

I think it shows that we deaf people are a diverse lot and there is simply no way of predicting how someone is going to feel as an adult.

And that attitude is slowly but surely dissipatating. There's really NO ONE RIGHT single way to be Deaf. Pretty soon, I think CIs will be just as accepted as hearing aids are!
I totally would see about hearing aids! Also maybe take advantage of your daughter being dhh, and maybe really explore the Deaf culture. You might really find it of value.
I know a lot of us hoh kids were really encouraged to be as mainstream as possible.It doesn't surprise me that there are some kids who were encouraged to go unaided. I am amazed that you did so well unaided. Getting an aid, could really really help your acheivement. I know you think you can hear pretty well, but with a hearing aid.........WOW!
Plus, you could get a cool colored one! Like one in your favorite color! Definitly don't go with the old lady style aid. And experiment.......you might be able to hear somewhat with an ITE, but you could hear even more with a BTE.

NO, of course It's not too late for hearing aids. If an audiologist believes they would benefit your life and communication skills, you should really do it. it's worth any cost.

I know a lot of us hoh kids were really encouraged to be as mainstream as possible.It doesn't surprise me that there are some kids who were encouraged to go unaided. I am amazed that you did so well unaided. Getting an aid, could really really help your acheivement. I know you think you can hear pretty well, but with a hearing aid.........WOW!

You know, I have a sister who has been deaf in one ear since her first ear surgery to clear up an infection at age 4. She is of course experiencing hearing loss in her good ear now, but she went through school without any assistance. She worked for years as a waitress in a noisy restrauntant. The point is that there are MANY people out there who are deaf in one ear and adapt quite well without hearing aides, she also had a friend in hs who was deaf in the other ear so they'd sit by each other and have their good ears to the 'outside'....gave them stereo sound, lol, you probably have never met many of these people since they are not part of the deaf community.

nirenameit, go and get a through hearing evaluation. Trial HA in your good ear. Good luck.

jag, I know that unilateral hoh folks usually never were aided, but she had VERY significent loss in BOTH ears. A lot of people can do well with just one ear, just the way that some people can do well with one kidney or one lobe of their brain (like a condition called ACC ) but in others, they can't do as well. I mean a study indicated that 30% of unilaterally hoh kids were at risk for grade failure.

She was never aided because she was FULLY hearing on her left ear back then, so HA at the time was not a neccessary.

It is the same reason why some insurance didn't think we need two cochlear implants.

jag, I know that unilateral hoh folks usually never were aided, but she had VERY significent loss in BOTH ears. A lot of people can do well with just one ear, just the way that some people can do well with one kidney or one lobe of their brain (like a condition called ACC ) but in others, they can't do as well. I mean a study indicated that 30% of unilaterally hoh kids were at risk for grade failure.

read her post number 5.

I really don't think you need to give me lectures on conditions where people funtion with only one of something that usually comes in pairs. btw I do know what it is like to function with only ONE aided ear when the loss is bi lateral so don't need lectures there either. My sister and her friend heard well enough with one good ear, the person who posted this heard well enough with one ear and didn't need aiding in the 'good' ear at that time. But like all people as she's aged her hearing in the good ear is deteriorating.

Personally knowing the difference between a CI and HA I'd also recommend she explore a CI for her deaf ear. But that's me. She has always done well with one ear so perhaps just aiding the good ear up to more normal hearing levels will give her what she wants.

She was never aided because she was FULLY hearing on her left ear back then, so HA at the time was not a neccessary.

It is the same reason why some insurance didn't think we need two cochlear implants.

Yep, I understand their mindset on that bit. There are some like myself that another CI is not necessary as one does just fine for me. From that perspective, they are totally correct (and I'm their poster boy to prove it). I can see that is not always the case and I can see more people than not probably need a second CI. To drive that point home, a friend of mine who had one done back in summer, I can now see that he would really benefit from a second CI. I got this epiphany in a recent chat with him over coffee. He had done "okay" with one CI (it was done on his non-HA side) but there is something not "quite" right in what he is getting out of it. He could do better in my opinion. The audi and the surgeon are putting together a recommendation to help him obtain a second CI. Hopefully, he will get it.

Of the three people (besides myself) that I know with a CI, only one of them could probably do just fine with one CI. One of the other two already has two (long story) and my friend (and I agree he needs a second one).

The longer I live in this journey of mine being the ultimate one-ear bandit :D, the more profound are the truths that keep popping up here and there.

Wow, I've been wondering the same thing myself as you see I haven't wored my hearing aids since high school, and now I wanted to be able to hear something as my hearing is going so low to the point where I can't hardly hear anything at all only loud noises, I was curious to try and see if my hearing aids will help me improves my hearing....I'm planning on getting new ear molds for them, and go from there, if it's doesn't help I will check into those implants and see if it will help me, I'm not too fond of those implants, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try... btw let me know how those hearing aids help you as I'm interesting to know...

Good luck! :) and btw, your little girl is soo cute...

I don't know........sounded kind of unclear.....sounded like she lost her hearing in childhood (like post lingal deafness) and was born with deafness in her other ear. I guess I didn't have enough Diet Coke when I posted LOL.

Back