To Implant or Not to Implant??

The level of your English expressions appear to be able to able to change completely from those that are suspiciously "Russian" to those that are perfect English. Quite the accomplishment.

It depends. Sometimes I'm really really trying to write correctly (with more or less success) because I don't want to present myself as an idiot :D and sometimes I don't care about it and write just what comes on my mind and ignore even those basic rules like capital letters and punctuation and I don't think about grammar very much.
By the way, I'm doing the same even in my mother language, with only one difference - I don't use bad grammar.

Anyways, thanks that you care so much about it :D

zajko how many Ci do you have now? i didnt find any posts about two or one. just curious.i also couldnt find your introducation so thats why i asked.:)

I have one implant for 12 years. With the same old bodyworn processor all that time. But I'm going to upgrade soon, so I'm curious if something changes in my sound and speech perception.
And about introduction.. uh, maybe I can write one. But .. I'm quite lazy :giggle:

It means that parents overestimate their child's functioning levels, abilities to function in a totally oral environment, and their happiness and social adjustment. As is evidenced by the differences in parental reports and reports from professionals that actually use specific criteria and know what to look for, and in the reports given by the children themselves.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! FJ and Grendel, 29 years ago when I got my first hearing aids, the exact same things that are being said abt CI kids were being said about ME!!!! (and other dhh kids) A lot of parents are just "OMG!!!! My kid is functionally in a "healthy normal" sense!" Look at the testamonies of parents of oral kids from 10 or 20 years ago. They are IDENTICAL as to what you guys are saying......IDENTICAL!!! You know oral kids grow up, and very few of them join ODAS of AG Bell. Heck at the Clarke conference, they only had a handful of oral deaf(meaning severe/profound) adults contribuate.....there were a couple of mild moderate (progressive losses) and even a signing voice off and hearing aid off speaker....maybe that's b/c they couldn't find a lot of sucessful oral deaf (severe/profound) adults. heck, I know that one issue that AG Bell groups deal with is trying to find oral deaf aduts who want to be involved in their groups. I think that tells you something!!!!!

It depends. Sometimes I'm really really trying to write correctly (with more or less success) because I don't want to present myself as an idiot :D and sometimes I don't care about it and write just what comes on my mind and ignore even those basic rules like capital letters and punctuation and I don't think about grammar very much.
By the way, I'm doing the same even in my mother language, with only one difference - I don't use bad grammar.

Anyways, thanks that you care so much about it :D

I have one implant for 12 years. With the same old bodyworn processor all that time. But I'm going to upgrade soon, so I'm curious if something changes in my sound and speech perception.
And about introduction.. uh, maybe I can write one. But .. I'm quite lazy :giggle:

Wow, you write like a born American now! Quite a change from "My account "merlouska" was deleted. Can someone explain me, why?
I tried to contact administrator via contactform, but noone bothered with any respond." from less than 30 days ago. That is amazing progress.

Wow, you write like a born American now! Quite a change from "My account "merlouska" was deleted. Can someone explain me, why?
I tried to contact administrator via contactform, but noone bothered with any respond." from less than 30 days ago. That is amazing progress.

Money talks.

Jillio, no offense, but - considering your own frequent spelling and grammar errors, one might think sometimes that you are an 8th grader impersonating a more educated person. And sometimes you indeed write like a more educated person. So...let's just say people can write differently at different times, if they're paying more attention or not.

My Spanish can be like that: sometimes perfect, sometimes with errors. It happens. No reason to jump on this guy because he manages to write in correct English.

Jillio, no offense, but - considering your own frequent spelling and grammar errors, one might think sometimes that you are an 8th grader impersonating a more educated person. And sometimes you indeed write like a more educated person. So...let's just say people can write differently at different times, if they're paying more attention or not.

My Spanish can be like that: sometimes perfect, sometimes with errors. It happens. No reason to jump on this guy because he manages to write in correct English.

I appreciate your input, but you are about to get into something regarding which you are making some superficial assumptions. The reality is indeed something else.:cool2: "Look before you leap" might well apply to this.

And if you will note, I was complementing him on his wonderful improvement in such a short time, not criticising him for writing in correct English.

cool. :)

My Spanish can be like that: sometimes perfect, sometimes with errors. It happens.

Exactly, I have better and worse times.. Sometimes I also make absolutely stupid beginner's errors. No idea, why. But who cares, if you understand me, right? :)

When I wrote my first posts from this nick, I was a bit angry, so maybe it could influence my writting too.

And btw, I'm a girl :giggle: But that's OK, you couldn't know it :)

Deaf, culturally Deaf (strongly involved in Deaf culture, etc.).
deaf, medical impairment basically.
ok... cool.
Why are you sick of people saying they're deaf? Why do you want them to identify as HOH? Is it because it goes against your beliefs?
Cause i am truly deaf, 100% nothing. but those who can hear something without any tools are just hoh.
What beliefs I have btw? pro implant? I cant think of anything other implant since i dont put down the Deaf culture
Im glad that you share your thoughts about it since you were born deaf but had implanted when you were baby. I want to see whats your view on it.

FOr me, i am Deaf because i am very involved with Deaf community, such as friends, organization, work with deaf services and ASL user. You know you are not the first person to say that and so are others. I do want to know why. Like cdemggers mentioned whats the difference between D and d. So I don't consider myself as a medical impairment so i consider myself as a D as who I am.
I'm for implantation on babies if I ever have a deaf baby.
I guess i would not consider myself "Deaf", just deaf cause I only have only a few deaf friends (and actually try to avoid other deaf people cause they're not attractive :p, but seriously, i try avoid others because theyre hard to communicate with; speechwise). I am taking asl course and loving it, been using it somewhat with a few people that know a little too, signed some with a few deaf people on skype. If im signing, im signing/talking at the same time.

I ALWAYS wear my implant so yeah, im depended on it and i dont really care if i am. only time i care is when it breaks.
I just want to clarify something:

I am not some audist jerk trying to cause trouble. Yes, I am hearing, but I am an ASL major and I want to learn about Deaf culture, not put it down or belittle it.

I am not trying to start an argument or a flame war or anything. I'm not even sure what my opinion is on the issue, although I lean toward "wait until they're old enough to decide." I started this thread to get help with a paper I'm writing; it's as simple as that.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone.
Eh, some (mainly just the Deaf) think implants are EVIL!
I mean... look at this video, you'll see a part which says cochlear implants are bad:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKnF9CCYQPQ[/ame]
Parents tend believe CI kids hear perfect, as hearies. Think CI magic fix. Think child hear everything, hear "normally". Is not true.
I'll admit, my parents expect me to hear "perfectly" but they understand that I cant catch everything.
I believe i can hear pretty damn good if i'm not in the cafe with a bunch of noises. Just had to train myself to be on left side of people (hearing out of my right)
Let the deaf people answer this one?
my post is invalid cause im pro implant?
Wirelessly posted
and every CI user i have asked says that those similations are garbage. Have you ever bothered to ask?
again, if you read what we are actually writing you will see that we do not claim that they have typical hearing. Please respond to what we actually say, rather than your assumptions of our beliefs.
I wont mention who in my life that showed me that video and said "see". Its a bs video. But yeah yeah we dont hear everything as a hearing person do cause implants work on channels, not every hair cell (4000-5000 i believe?)
What's your point? The simulation is not going to sound the same to her as it does to us. It's like having a color blind man look through a filter that simulates color blindness and having him declare, "But that's not how it looks to me at all!" Serious question: How would he know?
Cause its not as bad sounding as it is in the video. HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT an implant sounds like....? Its not like you have an implant implanted and then record the sounds before it goes to the brain?
dB and frequency are two different things. You do know this, don't you?

There's a disconnect between what you think you're seeing and what you're really seeing. When a CI is in place, the eardrum is still responding to whatever sound wave is hitting it. That's simple physics. However, a person with CI is typically not able to distinguish between closely grouped frequencies because the CI processes them as a single frequency. To put it another way, it is taking the entire range of frequencies and presenting them as a limited number of frequencies (typically 24 in a modern CI).

So while you could say, in theory, that a CI user has access to to the full range of speech sounds, this does not give an accurate picture of what they're actually hearing.

Does that make sense?
I know i hear around the 20s-30s dBs. But I dont know too much about frequency but I can tell when I have way too much frequency like a few months ago i was hearing a bunch of high ringing sounds from sliverwear, told my audiologist that I think the freq is too high, he lowered it and boom it worked much better.
Now I understand why my eardrum when I decide to put my head next to a big speaker hurts!

Wirelessly posted

yes, she hears at between 15 and 20 db from 250 hz to 8000 hz. That is not all there is to hear, but that does cover the speech area.

as for pitch perception, i'm not sure what she hears. The processor is a speech processor, so it targets spoken language. I have no idea how she perceives music.

again, NO she does not have typical hearing, but she is able to discriminate all the sounds of spoken language. How do i know? Because she does it.
Its called a speech processor for a reason. But lets just say, I was never able to take any music classes up to now. I am loving my music class, both guitar and digital audio. The teacher actually thinks my music is good. (not the best but good)
Now... i dont think this (now my hobby since I enjoy it so much, stay after school) would be possible if it wasnt for my processor
http://soundcloud.com/patrickperiod5/the-urban-hammick
and recently made this like last week
http://soundcloud.com/patrickperiod5/ghost-town-beat
^i made when i was high so it doesnt sound too good lol
And this is my guitar play, not the best but i only started a few weeks ago
http://soundcloud.com/patrickperiod5/wut
(wait... can you hear the music...?)
spray_trollface_copy.png

But for real, all in all, I cant wait for xmas cause I really want a piano for my digital software on the computer. Whens the last time you heard of some deaf dude wanting a music instrument.

Last edited:
Cause i am truly deaf, 100% nothing. but those who can hear something without any tools are just hoh.
What beliefs I have btw? pro implant? I cant think of anything other implant since i dont put down the Deaf culture
I'll get back to you on this later. Need to be quick this morning.

Not at all. I was telling that to the hearing parents that always like to turn this thread into a hair splitting bullshit. They do it every time. That's THE reason you don't see actual deaf people participating and sharing their experiences much. On rare occurrences deaf people have discussed CI's and it went over civilly. Guess what happens...

Cause its not as bad sounding as it is in the video. HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT an implant sounds like....? Its not like you have an implant implanted and then record the sounds before it goes to the brain?
How would you know what perfect hearing sounds like?

You hear with CI. This not tool? If we judging deafness, those us who actually 100% deaf, no nothing, not even CI could help would say you HOH.

Lucky most us not judge this way. :cool2:

But for real, all in all, I cant wait for xmas cause I really want a piano for my digital software on the computer. Whens the last time you heard of some deaf dude wanting a music instrument.

Me. I played the recorder in elementary school, it was part of my AVT (my special ed teacher was also a music teacher) but I loved it so much that I played it non-stop and in grade 3, was performing with the sixth grade band for I played it very well. I also played the drums and for the longest time, wanted to learn to play the violin and would still like to learn it. and I always had fun playing the piano whenever I visited my dad's house.

I'm profoundly deaf, not implanted. Surely, I can't be the only deaf person who enjoys playing musical instruments.

Me. I played the recorder in elementary school, it was part of my AVT (my special ed teacher was also a music teacher) but I loved it so much that I played it non-stop and in grade 3, was performing with the sixth grade band for I played it very well. I also played the drums and for the longest time, wanted to learn to play the violin and would still like to learn it. and I always had fun playing the piano whenever I visited my dad's house.

I'm profoundly deaf, not implanted. Surely, I can't be the only deaf person who enjoys playing musical instruments.

You aren't the only one. I remember one poster whose name was deafmusicman or something like that who loved to play musical instruments and he's DoD. I have not seen him post in a long time though.

ok... cool.

I'm for implantation on babies if I ever have a deaf baby.
I guess i would not consider myself "Deaf", just deaf cause I only have only a few deaf friends (and actually try to avoid other deaf people cause they're not attractive :p, but seriously, i try avoid others because theyre hard to communicate with; speechwise). I am taking asl course and loving it, been using it somewhat with a few people that know a little too, signed some with a few deaf people on skype. If im signing, im signing/talking at the same time.

I ALWAYS wear my implant so yeah, im depended on it and i dont really care if i am. only time i care is when it breaks.

Eh, some (mainly just the Deaf) think implants are EVIL!
I mean... look at this video, you'll see a part which says cochlear implants are bad:
Waiting on the World to Change - YouTube

I'll admit, my parents expect me to hear "perfectly" but they understand that I cant catch everything.
I believe i can hear pretty damn good if i'm not in the cafe with a bunch of noises. Just had to train myself to be on left side of people (hearing out of my right)

I wont mention who in my life that showed me that video and said "see". Its a bs video. But yeah yeah we dont hear everything as a hearing person do cause implants work on channels, not every hair cell (4000-5000 i believe?)

I know i hear around the 20s-30s dBs. But I dont know too much about frequency but I can tell when I have way too much frequency like a few months ago i was hearing a bunch of high ringing sounds from sliverwear, told my audiologist that I think the freq is too high, he lowered it and boom it worked much better.
Now I understand why my eardrum when I decide to put my head next to a big speaker hurts!

Its called a speech processor for a reason. But lets just say, I was never able to take any music classes up to now. I am loving my music class, both guitar and digital audio. The teacher actually thinks my music is good. (not the best but good)
Now... i dont think this (now my hobby since I enjoy it so much, stay after school) would be possible if it wasnt for my processor
The Urban Hammick by ps.da.peroid6 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
and recently made this like last week
Ghost town beat by ps.da.peroid6 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
^i made when i was high so it doesnt sound too good lol
And this is my guitar play, not the best but i only started a few weeks ago
Wut by ps.da.peroid6 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
(wait... can you hear the music...?)
spray_trollface_copy.png

So you hate Deaf people because they are unattractive?

Didnt you go to Gallaudet to learn ASL?

I can hear some but I call myself Deaf. I wont change how I view myself to make others happy.

If you want to call yourself HOH, it wont make me angry.

So you hate Deaf people because they are unattractive?

Didnt you go to Gallaudet to learn ASL?

I can hear some but I call myself Deaf. I wont change how I view myself to make others happy.

If you want to call yourself HOH, it wont make me angry.

you admit deaf people are unattractive? I was just kidding about that (although quiet a few are not so attractive).

What I dont get is why is there hoh if you consider yourself deaf, yet hear some without tools?
im not hoh, stoned deaf, think thats pretty clear

how are you able to hear the music you make though?

you admit deaf people are unattractive? I was just kidding about that (although quiet a few are not so attractive).

What I dont get is why is there hoh if you consider yourself deaf, yet hear some without tools?
im not hoh, stoned deaf, think thats pretty clear

how are you able to hear the music you make though?

Ohhh glad that you were kidding about it. Yes, some are unattractive. I am one of them. :lol:

I am no way hoh...I am deaf and culturally Deaf.

I cant make music if my life depended on it but I can hear it but not like most hoh people do.

Back