To Implant or Not to Implant??

I'm more interested in the implications of the stories you tell about your daughter as anything more than stories about your daughter. What purpose exactly do these stories mean other than you are a mom who is very excited to be a mom and loves to tell little stories about your daughter?

Well, then there's also the direct contradiction of your uninformed assumptions about CIs by our real life experiences.

You can also take a look at one very practical means of assessing what's heard: how she sounds. Output is going to reflect what she hears. So if she's robotic, you can assume that's what she's hearing. If she sounds melodic ... that's how she hears. She's extremely melodic.

You are making some assumptions that don't quite hold up.

I hear silence. I bet when I laugh (etc) it not sound same I hear it.

No way CI give access to ALL sounds. It gives SOME access to sound, it might seem lot if CI is successful for child. It happens after long hard training. If CI gives access to all sound then deaf child would hear perfectly well as heading child BUT deaf child don't reach that level with CI. They still need support in education, etc.

Well, then there's also the direct contradiction of your uninformed assumptions about CIs by our real life experiences.

My assumptions aren't uninformed. I daresay I have studied the mechanics of the CI and the processing of sound in the brain both through mechanical stimulation and natural stimulation,moreso than you ever have.You have a mere few years experience with a CI using pre-schooler. My scope extends over all ages and all factions. My observations are made using that knowlege. Your observations come from the position of a new loving mother. Not quite the subjectivity you need to make some of the conclusion you draw.

You can also take a look at one very practical means of assessing what's heard: how she sounds. Output is going to reflect what she hears. So if she's robotic, you can assume that's what she's hearing. If she sounds melodic ... that's how she hears. She's extremely melodic.
One can be melodic with access to a limited range of frequencies. For that matter, even someone profoundly deaf can develop a melodic speaking voice with enough therapy and training. Your anecdote doesn't contradict anything I have said.

I hear silence. I bet when I laugh (etc) it not sound same I hear it.

We're talking about mirroring a sound that's been heard. If I sing a scale to you, and your CI gives you sound as simulated by MM's simulation (it's like static, if you've ever had some hearing and have heard static, nearly impossible to make out words, much less music) -- you would sing back what you hear: something like the static. But, if I sing a scale, and Li sings back the notes correctly, it shows that she's not hearing anything like the staticky simulation -- which doesn't provide all the sounds in that scale.

We're talking about mirroring a sound that's been heard. If I sing a scale to you, and your CI gives you sound as simulated by MM's simulation (it's like static, if you've ever had some hearing and have heard static, nearly impossible to make out words, much less music) -- you would sing back what you hear: something like the static. But, if I sing a scale, and Li sings back the notes correctly, it shows that she's not hearing anything like the staticky simulation -- which doesn't provide all the sounds in that scale.

Nope. Incorrect assumption.

BTW, getting ready for that recital?

Don't you think that she hear static or other sound lower quality and able to copy that sound back doesn't mean she can hear sound same as you?

No way CI give access to ALL sounds. It gives SOME access to sound, it might seem lot if CI is successful for child. It happens after long hard training. If CI gives access to all sound then deaf child would hear perfectly well as heading child BUT deaf child don't reach that level with CI. They still need support in education, etc.

Well, I don't think I have only "some" access to sound with a CI. I guess I can hear almost everything, but the main problem is distinguishing those sounds. Especially in noisy situations where lots of sounds are mixed and I'm not able to catch those important sounds correctly.

So I describe it like "I can hear the grass growing, but sometimes I don't know that it is the grass growing." :)

Well, I don't think I have only "some" access to sound with a CI. I guess I can hear almost everything, but the main problem is distinguishing those sounds. Especially in noisy situations where lots of sounds are mixed and I'm not able to catch those important sounds correctly.

So I describe it like "I can hear the grass growing, but sometimes I don't know that it is the grass growing." :)

Then you hear much better than hearing people do.;)

Your English certainly has improved compared to your other posts. Hmmm.....

Wirelessly posted

Mountain Man said:
i have sat and watched them test my child. She hears at 15 db, that is audiologically considering hearing in the "normal range".
dB and frequency are two different things. You do know this, don't you?

She has also had discrim testing that clearly shows her discriminating all the sounds of speech.
There's a disconnect between what you think you're seeing and what you're really seeing. When a CI is in place, the eardrum is still responding to whatever sound wave is hitting it. That's simple physics. However, a person with CI is typically not able to distinguish between closely grouped frequencies because the CI processes them as a single frequency. To put it another way, it is taking the entire range of frequencies and presenting them as a limited number of frequencies (typically 24 in a modern CI).

So while you could say, in theory, that a CI user has access to to the full range of speech sounds, this does not give an accurate picture of what they're actually hearing.

Does that make sense?

yes, she hears at between 15 and 20 db from 250 hz to 8000 hz. That is not all there is to hear, but that does cover the speech area.

as for pitch perception, i'm not sure what she hears. The processor is a speech processor, so it targets spoken language. I have no idea how she perceives music.

again, NO she does not have typical hearing, but she is able to discriminate all the sounds of spoken language. How do i know? Because she does it.

Wirelessly posted

yes, she hears at between 15 and 20 db from 250 hz to 8000 hz. That is not all there is to hear, but that does cover the speech area.

as for pitch perception, i'm not sure what she hears. The processor is a speech processor, so it targets spoken language. I have no idea how she perceives music.

again, NO she does not have typical hearing, but she is able to discriminate all the sounds of spoken language. How do i know? Because she does it.

You do understand, do you not, that pitch and timbre don't only involve music? They are important parts of the perception of speech.

Then you hear much better than hearing people do.;)

Your English certainly has improved compared to your other posts. Hmmm.....

Oh, do you know the term "hyperbole"? :)

And about my English - English is not my mother language, so the level of my English expressions can vary, depending on the complexity of what I want to say :P

Oh, do you know the term "hyperbole"? :)

And about my English - English is not my mother language, so the level of my English expressions can vary, depending on the complexity of what I want to say :P

The level of your English expressions appear to be able to able to change completely from those that are suspiciously "Russian" to those that are perfect English. Quite the accomplishment.

Yes, I know hyperbole. And a few other words that would be applicable, as well.:)

zajko how many Ci do you have now? i didnt find any posts about two or one. just curious.i also couldnt find your introducation so thats why i asked.:)

:laugh2: No parent of a child with a CI thinks that. Many are thrilled with what their children can hear, many children are thrilled with what they can hear, but no one who knows anything at all about how a CI really works would ever consider it a "magic fix." Our children are deaf, but they can access sound amazingly well with this little tool, this technology -- when it's turned on. It's only those who watch from afar who fear we believe it's a "cure" or a "fix." It's not a cure or fix any more than a hearing aid is -- does that make you no longer deaf? Fixed?

A wheelchair might provides someone with access, with mobility, and he or she might thinks that's great. It's wonderful technology, but he doesn't think he's been "fixed."

No parent ever thinks that? Not even one anywhere in this country or even in this world?

Are you sure about that?

Back