Thoughts of a Deaf Child

Think of the movie titled Mr. Hollands Opus.

Story of a music teacher that finds out he has a deaf son. The mother really took to sign, the music teacher sadly did not. He never had a good relationship with his son until he was told off in sign and the mother had to interpret. thats when he realized there was more to this boy than just flapping hands and a few grunts.

Towards the end of the movie the boy turns into a grown man and has made a life of his own and eventually learned to speak then the relationship with his father grew, but the father regrets not having made an earlier effort to bond with his son and it is reflected in the movie.

Wonderful movie!

I agree! :) I have the movie on DVD and get choked up every time I reach the part where Mr. Holland signs and sings John Lennon's "Beautiful Boy" to his son.

I know. It also rips my heart out where the mom is in the kitchen trying to communicate orally with her son, and they are both so frustrated that she ends up screaming, and he throws a tantrum. Very sad! But at least she took that as a clue that the approach the experts were telling her didn't work.

I have two hearing children I do not force my hearing children to sign or require to learn to sign, if they're interesting in learning signs for all that means I'll be more than glad to teach them. It isn't about me, It's about them. I don't have to force them to enter my world when they're not deaf themselves. Hearing parents should do the same thing it isn't' about them it's about their deaf children, enter their world, learn their language, understand them and their needs, not forcing to implant them just because You think that's the best decision and choice. Life isn't about hearing music and sounds, Life is about enjoying it while it lasted, "be yourself, be who you are, not someone you aren't." ;)

:gpost:

Just have to make it personal, don't you cloggy? If you don't have anything useful to add, shut the hell up!
:wtflol: Is it just me or should Cloggy and Jillio get a room? I detect high levels of sexual tension between those two. :dunno:

:wtflol: Is it just me or should Cloggy and Jillio get a room? I detect high levels of sexual tension between those two. :dunno:

Must just be you, rockdrummer! I am only attracted to those who possess intelligence, maturity, and open-mindedness. I think if you would go back and check out some of the posts where the obvious intent was not to engage in intelligent, informative discussion, but simply to contradict any post I have made, you would understand the nature of the conflict a bit better. More than sexual tension, I think cloggy is simply one of those insecure men who are terribly intimidated by intelligent articulate women. He seems to have the same reaction to another I can think of.

Must just be you, rockdrummer! I am only attracted to those who possess intelligence, maturity, and open-mindedness. I think if you would go back and check out some of the posts where the obvious intent was not to engage in intelligent, informative discussion, but simply to contradict any post I have made, you would understand the nature of the conflict a bit better. More than sexual tension, I think cloggy is simply one of those insecure men who are terribly intimidated by intelligent articulate women. He seems to have the same reaction to another I can think of.
I was bustin ur chops. Seems like you and Cloggy go head to head alot. I was just injecting some humor to hopefully break the tension. Life is to short to not laugh once and a while.

I was bustin ur chops. Seems like you and Cloggy go head to head alot. I was just injecting some humor to hopefully break the tension. Life is to short to not laugh once and a while.

Agreed! No offense taken!:giggle:

Must just be you, rockdrummer! I am only attracted to those who possess intelligence, maturity and open-mindedness. I think if you would go back and check out some of the posts where the obvious intent was not to engage in intelligent, informative discussion, but simply to contradict any post I have made, you would understand the nature of the conflict a bit better. More than sexual tension, I think cloggy is simply one of those insecure men who are terribly intimidated by intelligent articulate women. He seems to have the same reaction to another I can think of.

rockdrummer,

Do you still have those hip high waders I loaned you? The shit sure is getting high in here . . . Don't forget the umbrella, lest it lands on us!:laugh2:

What an insight... the summary of all the tension. Obvious she IS the "intelligent articulate women" she thinks she is. And modest, lets not forget that....
She sees right through me... You have to love that women!
You're right Rockdrummer..... sparks are flying.... thank god for glass-fiber internet connection...

What an insight... the summary of all the tension. Obvious she IS the "intelligent articulate women" she thinks she is. And modest, lets not forget that....
She sees right through me... You have to love that women!
You're right Rockdrummer..... sparks are flying.... thank god for glass-fiber internet connection...

I do not blame Jillio at all... You have a beautiful daughter.... you forced her to have Ci on both ears...you claimed in Deafnotes that she is not deaf.. she can hear with Ci... but you forget without the processors she is till deaf... you need to learn signs to communicate with your beautiful daughter...

I do not blame Jillio at all... You have a beautiful daughter.... you forced her to have Ci on both ears...you claimed in Deafnotes that she is not deaf.. she can hear with Ci... but you forget without the processors she is till deaf... you need to learn signs to communicate with your beautiful daughter...

He said he did use sign with her before but they are no longer using them since she is picking up on spoken language but I agree with u, I believe that keeping up with signing would be helpful just in case the CI breaks down or in an emergency. There was a story with a 4 year old with CIs and he relied on them completely and someone broke into their home and stole his CIs...for two weeks or so, no CIs due to insurance red tape so the boy was unable to communicate with anyone and became withdrawn. I think it was from a thread here on AD from Deaf News. I have had so many students whose CIs broke or got lost but they still had sign language so progress with language development wasnt alternated. However, that is Cloggy and his family's decision..only we can make suggestions but his choice to take them or not. Everyone has different views.

He said he did use sign with her before but they are no longer using them since she is picking up on spoken language but I agree with u, I believe that keeping up with signing would be helpful just in case the CI breaks down or in an emergency. There was a story with a 4 year old with CIs and he relied on them completely and someone broke into their home and stole his CIs...for two weeks or so, no CIs due to insurance red tape so the boy was unable to communicate with anyone and became withdrawn. I think it was from a thread here on AD from Deaf News. I have had so many students whose CIs broke or got lost but they still had sign language so progress with language development wasnt alternated. However, that is Cloggy and his family's decision..only we can make suggestions but his choice to take them or not. Everyone has different views.

Yes I agree with you.. but Cloggy always post two different things about his daughter.. is he telling the truth.. i dont think so....always two sides of his... it is like dr jykell and dr hyde...

SexyPiggy,
You really should stop spreading lies. They are getting really old... like you,,

Show me any of those accusations...... otherwise shut up...

Name calling again. You really blow all your credibility with these juvenile, immature, dull witted responses.

rockdrummer,

Do you still have those hip high waders I loaned you? The shit sure is getting high in here . . . Don't forget the umbrella, lest it lands on us!:laugh2:

No need for concern. It isn't aimed at you or at rockdrummer!

:ty: Thanks, SxyPorkie.

Name calling again. You really blow all your credibility with these juvenile, immature, dull witted responses.
Very true, I plead guilty to that. (Sorry about any misspelling.)

I don't mind disagreeing, but what I do hate is a lyer like SexyPiggy.

Read her posts again, (not just here) and you will see that it's filled with lies about me and my daughter. You have read my posts long enough to know that they are lies....

So that's why I react like that...

Back