This should be illegal too

Krissy

Reaction score
Okay random rant that's been bugging me for ages is
You have to have English subtitles available on DVD's now which is fantastic but
There's a lot of programmes on TV which still don't have subtitles, or ones that sometimes do, and sometimes don't, which bugs the heck out of me!
I tend to watch the majority of programmes online because the subtitles are more accurate, on the TV they seem to be out of time, missing sentences etc a lot
Although on some websites they don't have subtitles for programmes, eventhough on the channel on the television they do, so I don't understand why they don't have them on their programmes on the websites? :S
I have no idea if the same applies to American TV and I hope yours is better lol, I'm just annoyed by it, and I'll continue to be annoyed unless they ever sort it XD

Actually, I've found regular TV closed caption to be better(although not perfect) than the web at times.

It has to do with how you make closed captioning, the old way was easier than doing it on the web. On the web, you need a separate file and that file has to match the video in terms of timing.

Here are some tips for online:
There are several ways to get closed caption for movies and videos you watch over the internet and I thought I would list a few:
(NOTE: I'm listing this from memory, but you'll get the idea)

CBS (got this from the net, link below):
Go to CBS TV Network Primetime, Daytime, Late Night and Classic Television Shows. Find a *full* episode of a series that you're interested in and click on it. To turn the captions on, bring your cursor into the middle of the video to see the menu show up. Look for and click on the plus sign for "More" on the lower right hand side, click again on "CC captions" just once. (Unfortunately, there seems to be no immediate visual indication of when the captions activate except by waiting to see if the captions show up; the letters of "CC Captions" don't change color or shading noticeably.) You'll have to click on the bar on the right hand side to bring the video back to the beginning point because you will have missed the beginning dialog.

Accessibility For People with Hearing Loss: CBS finally provides closed captions for online episodes!

MTV:
MTV now has closed caption, you will see a little cloud on the menu bar. Select the cloud and check the caption option then click OK.

BOXEE:
Boxee used to have closed caption integration with Open subtitles, but that is no longer the case. Now, you have to download the subtitle from opensubtitles org and then run it when you view a movie.

Go to opensubittles and search for the movie. Select the movie that matches the title you want to watch in boxee such as language and DVD or blueray type, etc.

Dowload the zip file and extract it into a local directory. This will extract an srt file which is the caption file.

1. Start the movie in Boxee: During a movie click on the screen to make the menu appear.

2. Click the round gear in the upper right of the screen.

3. There will be a subtitles none item, but that is not what you want. You want to select the item that allows you to load them. Search your drive for the downloaded files and select the srt file for that movie.

You will now have subtitles during the movie.

Hulu:
You don't need to pay Hulu to get subtitles. If they exist for the movie or show, you can make the appear by setting that option in your user settings/preferences.

1. Log into Hulu

2. Go to settings and select closed captioning (not exact, but you get the idea)

All show after that will have caption if they contain them.
VacationGuy234 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 PM

I have to admit buying DVD's to watch with subtitles as TV shows here are very hit and miss.

Actually, I've found regular TV closed caption to be better(although not perfect) than the web at times.

It has to do with how you make closed captioning, the old way was easier than doing it on the web. On the web, you need a separate file and that file has to match the video in terms of timing.

Here are some tips for online:
There are several ways to get closed caption for movies and videos you watch over the internet and I thought I would list a few:
(NOTE: I'm listing this from memory, but you'll get the idea)

CBS (got this from the net, link below):
Go to CBS TV Network Primetime, Daytime, Late Night and Classic Television Shows. Find a *full* episode of a series that you're interested in and click on it. To turn the captions on, bring your cursor into the middle of the video to see the menu show up. Look for and click on the plus sign for "More" on the lower right hand side, click again on "CC captions" just once. (Unfortunately, there seems to be no immediate visual indication of when the captions activate except by waiting to see if the captions show up; the letters of "CC Captions" don't change color or shading noticeably.) You'll have to click on the bar on the right hand side to bring the video back to the beginning point because you will have missed the beginning dialog.

Accessibility For People with Hearing Loss: CBS finally provides closed captions for online episodes!

MTV:
MTV now has closed caption, you will see a little cloud on the menu bar. Select the cloud and check the caption option then click OK.

BOXEE:
Boxee used to have closed caption integration with Open subtitles, but that is no longer the case. Now, you have to download the subtitle from opensubtitles org and then run it when you view a movie.

Go to opensubittles and search for the movie. Select the movie that matches the title you want to watch in boxee such as language and DVD or blueray type, etc.

Dowload the zip file and extract it into a local directory. This will extract an srt file which is the caption file.

1. Start the movie in Boxee: During a movie click on the screen to make the menu appear.

2. Click the round gear in the upper right of the screen.

3. There will be a subtitles none item, but that is not what you want. You want to select the item that allows you to load them. Search your drive for the downloaded files and select the srt file for that movie.

You will now have subtitles during the movie.

Hulu:
You don't need to pay Hulu to get subtitles. If they exist for the movie or show, you can make the appear by setting that option in your user settings/preferences.

1. Log into Hulu

2. Go to settings and select closed captioning (not exact, but you get the idea)

All show after that will have caption if they contain them.
VacationGuy234 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 PM

I can't access Hulu because I'm in England and I usually use BBCIplayer or 4oD to watch programmes that were on channel 4 or BBC channels if you know what they are lol

It's just a different channel called ITV has the same type of website called ITV player so you can watch shows that are broadcasted on that channel, although on the website it's unavailable to have subtitles, and it's been bugging me for ages

Does England bar Hulu? Trying to figure out why you can't access it. They do have good captioning for the ones that are captioned.

Hulu is not available in Canada either. It's a copyright thing. If I try to access Hulu - it determines I'm not from the US based on my IP address and a message would pop up saying this is not available in your country.

Yep :( it sucks, it asks if you want to put your email in so that they can let you know if it ever becomes available in your country lol

Here in America, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandates that most programming on television be closed captioned. The exceptions are based on, I think, number of viewers, so if it's below a certain threshold then it's not required. This is to protect small and private stations that may not be able to afford the equipment.

DVDs and internet television, however, are not regulated by the FCC, so it's entirely up to the discretion of the company whether or not to include closed captioning. Most do, but some don't, usually the smaller companies or those looking to save a buck.

Here in America, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandates that most programming on television be closed captioned. The exceptions are based on, I think, number of viewers, so if it's below a certain threshold then it's not required. This is to protect small and private stations that may not be able to afford the equipment.

DVDs and internet television, however, are not regulated by the FCC, so it's entirely up to the discretion of the company whether or not to include closed captioning. Most do, but some don't, usually the smaller companies or those looking to save a buck.

Ahh, right! Thanks for the info :)

For this don't buy BT Vision.....

No subtitles on any online programmes! (even Iplayer and 4oD)
No subtitles on any pay to view film (I had to fight to get my money back)
When using the TV as normal with BT vision as Freeview, when turning over to different programme, subtitles need to be set up for every program turned over.

My mother had spent 3 days on the phone trying to stop the DD on BT Vision as it's pointless for me. The only thing I can use with it is to record programmes, I already have a recorder and freeview TV so I don't need another recorder, I got it because I wanted to watch Iplayer/4oD on TV instead of my laptop as my vision is getting worse.

By the way Hello Krissy, I am from Blighty as you can tell! I am about 4-5 hours from you so loong drive away.

For this don't buy BT Vision.....

No subtitles on any online programmes! (even Iplayer and 4oD)
No subtitles on any pay to view film (I had to fight to get my money back)
When using the TV as normal with BT vision as Freeview, when turning over to different programme, subtitles need to be set up for every program turned over.

My mother had spent 3 days on the phone trying to stop the DD on BT Vision as it's pointless for me. The only thing I can use with it is to record programmes, I already have a recorder and freeview TV so I don't need another recorder, I got it because I wanted to watch Iplayer/4oD on TV instead of my laptop as my vision is getting worse.

By the way Hello Krissy, I am from Blighty as you can tell! I am about 4-5 hours from you so loong drive away.

Wow, thanks I'll make sure to steer clear of that! I'm with Virgin Media, and truthfully a lot of the time their subtitles annoy me, I hate watching live tv with subtitles because it takes forever for them to come up and they're really out of time / the person typing them usually makes a lot of typos lol but fair enough with it being live TV, whereas when I watch eastenders or something there's whole sentences missing D: not good

Did you get it sorted out now? Or are you still having the same problem and they won't do anything?

And helloo :) it's not that far considering most people aren't in England here :P hehe

Krissy, at the moment I don't know if it has been solved, my mum had been here last week sorting it out, they said they will call back but since them my mum had gone back to Austria (yesterday) I am giving her time to settle back at home so will call her later.

Krissy, at the moment I don't know if it has been solved, my mum had been here last week sorting it out, they said they will call back but since them my mum had gone back to Austria (yesterday) I am giving her time to settle back at home so will call her later.

Ahh right I see, it can be annoying trying to sort things out with tv / internet companies and such. It seems you can speak to them constantly about the same thing and keep going round in circles lol. I hope you get it sorted out though! :)

Hulu is not available in Canada either. It's a copyright thing. If I try to access Hulu - it determines I'm not from the US based on my IP address and a message would pop up saying this is not available in your country.

I did not know this. I wonder if this also affects BOXEE apps? Still, there is more than one way to get captions. I wonder if you can get megavideo in the UK and Canada?

yes she still keeps getting the calls diverted to the calling centre in india before it even reaches to BT!!

I did not know this. I wonder if this also affects BOXEE apps? Still, there is more than one way to get captions. I wonder if you can get megavideo in the UK and Canada?
I'm not sure, I did download BOXEE but I don't understand it so haen't used it lol

Wow, thanks I'll make sure to steer clear of that! I'm with Virgin Media, and truthfully a lot of the time their subtitles annoy me, I hate watching live tv with subtitles because it takes forever for them to come up and they're really out of time / the person typing them usually makes a lot of typos lol but fair enough with it being live TV, whereas when I watch eastenders or something there's whole sentences missing D: not good

Did you get it sorted out now? Or are you still having the same problem and they won't do anything?

And helloo :) it's not that far considering most people aren't in England here :P hehe

My parents got virgin media. I don't know if you noticed cos I noticed that less programmes got subtitles. I remember lot of programmes I used to watch on certain channels got no subtitles anymore and very few got subtitles left. It only BBC, ITV, CH5 and CH5 I can trust with subtitles most of time esp BBC is fab. Even subtitles don't work or missing on BBC iPlayer, they are fab sort it out for you, cos every time I reported they fix it in 2/3 days cos they need repair subtitles files with timing. So far BBC iPlayer haven't failed me yet.

My parents got virgin media. I don't know if you noticed cos I noticed that less programmes got subtitles. I remember lot of programmes I used to watch on certain channels got no subtitles anymore and very few got subtitles left. It only BBC, ITV, CH5 and CH5 I can trust with subtitles most of time esp BBC is fab. Even subtitles don't work or missing on BBC iPlayer, they are fab sort it out for you, cos every time I reported they fix it in 2/3 days cos they need repair subtitles files with timing. So far BBC iPlayer haven't failed me yet.

Yeah I have the same problem, and I feel a bit excluded when there's whole programmes or channels without subtitles and deaf people can't watch the show even if they want to. I think that's why I don't watch tv, just programmes online, plus I don't like watching things with my hearing aids in because it makes my tinnitus worse and I don't really like the sound of the TV if that makes sense lol I like wearing headphones instead
I'll make sure I get in contact with BBCIplayer if the subtitles are broken in future, thanks for letting me know :)
I don't suppose you know if there's any way to get subtitles / captions on ITV player do you? I've tried and failed :(

Back