This is a good weekend for our family. :)

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
This will be a good weekend for our family.

Saturday, our elder grandson will graduate from high school. Next week he starts summer classes at a local college. One pleasant surprise was that he won the award for best German student. His goal is to become a pharmacist.

More good news. Our younger grandson (age 15) got a 99 on his engineering exam. It was an exam that gives him college credit from the University of South Carolina. His plan is to do the same for his junior and senior years in high school. That will give him three graded credit courses towards an engineering major before he even starts college. His goal is to become an engineer.

I got the rest of my grades for my computer programming course this morning. It looks like I'm going to get an A for the course! It was an online college course. Next week, I should be starting two more courses, if there is space for me (I attend on the space-available for senior citizens program).

Also next week, TCS (Hubby) starts his evening class, and my daughter starts her daytime classes at the same college with my grandson (different majors, so they won't be in the same classes but they can car pool). My daughter's goal is to become a physical therapist assistant.

Now, the best news. It has been one year since my son-in-law's work accident. He works at a steel manufacturing plant. He was working on the line with a crew doing maintenance on the equipment. A 1,000-lb slab of steel fell towards him. He jumped back, saving his life, but his right foot got caught under the slab. He was trapped under it for a long time while they had to get heavy equipment in to move the slab. Then, since the plant is out in the country, it was an agonizing long ambulance ride to the downtown hospital. He was conscious and without painkillers the whole time. When they got to the hospital, the doctors told him that his leg had to be amputated below the knee. My daughter was able to get to the hospital right before they took him to surgery. She had only been told that he was in a work accident and broke his leg. She didn't know the seriousness of it until she got to the hospital and saw all his co-workers standing around in the waiting room, silently looking down at the floor.

It was a very traumatic time for our family. For people who suffer traumatic injuries, that date is called their "alive" day. They count the days from that date as "alive" days. This Sunday will be one year since our SIL's "alive" day.

He has come a long way this year. He had to sell his standard shift Pathfinder and sporty car. He eventually got a new automatic shift vehicle that he really likes. He also lost his CDL and now has a regular driver's license.

He's adjusted well to his prosthetic leg. He's participated in short community walks and runs, and in the Cooper River Bridge Walk/Run 10k. He's become an advocate for amputees and their support groups. The whole family also attends events for the disabled, as volunteers participants.

He participates in parades with his amputee support group. For a Christmas parade, he and other amputees wore blinking Christmas lights wrapped around their prosthetics. :lol:

A couple months ago, he started back to work part time. Now, he works full time. :)

He recently also got a running leg. It has a high-tech metal spring "foot" that doesn't look like a foot. It has a running shoe type sole attached on the underside.

Finally, on May 29, TCS and I celebrate our wedding anniversary. :D

Yes, our family has a lot to celebrate this Memorial Day weekend. :)

We praise God for all His blessings to our family. :applause:

Update:

My daughter, son-in-law, and two grandsons went to the annual company Carowinds day again. They had a great time there. :) The only disappointment was that my SIL wasn't allowed to ride the Intimidator because of his prosthetic leg.

https://www.carowinds.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/Intimidator

But he beat his two teenage sons at Pac Man. :lol:

Hi Reba,

This is the first I saw of this. Congratulations on your programming course and all of your family's accomplishments. That's amazing about the running leg. I guess I know that kind of technology is out there, but it still impresses me when I think about it. And great that he's come so far in his new life.

Congrats on your family's many accomplishments and your SIL's brave recovery. Happy Anniversary!

Hi Reba,

This is the first I saw of this. Congratulations on your programming course and all of your family's accomplishments. That's amazing about the running leg. I guess I know that kind of technology is out there, but it still impresses me when I think about it. And great that he's come so far in his new life.

:ty:

:wave::D I'm so happy for you and your family, Reba - that's very wonderful news!
Happy Anniversary!!

Such wonderful news about everybody and Happy Anniversary!! to top it off.

I do have one question. What did they tell him was the reason for not letting your SIL ride the Intimidator because of his prosthetic leg?

Such wonderful news about everybody and Happy Anniversary!! to top it off.

I do have one question. What did they tell him was the reason for not letting your SIL ride the Intimidator because of his prosthetic leg?
I didn't ask but I assume it's because of that accident that happened at another ride where a double amputee was killed. The parks don't want the liability.

Vet Killed on Coaster: Questions Swirl After Fall at Theme Park

Very nice thread, Reba. We went to an Angels game yesterday. They played the New York Yankees........

Congrats on all your family's accomplishments, Reba.

I know what you mean about your SIL's "alive day". November 9, 2004 is my husband's "alive day". It's a date we remember every year.

It's been three years since my SIL had his accident. It's his third anniversary of his alive day. It's been a blessing to see how he's progressed and his family has thrived. :)

I love hearing about what's going on in your life! Happy Anniversary! :hug:

Back