The Silencer

sculleywr

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got this in. For those of you who catch this before the showing (9-10 ET). On NBC, Law and Order: CI is airing a new episode featuring 30 something Deaf actors and extras, including the following:

>Deanne Bray
>Alexandria Wailes
>Garrett Zuercher
>Darren Frazier
>Hillary Baack
>Willy Conley
>Raymond Luczak

Cool....if you or anyone else watch this, let us know what you thought of the show and all these actors and actresses.... ;)

~RR

Watching it now.

The cop or whoever who is doing the interpreting should NOT be interpreting. Interpreters should be neutral and impartial. Officers of the court, police officers, judges, or attorneys should not be used as interpreters. I'm serving on a committe now that is writing a bench card for courts in Ohio that offers guidelines for working with deaf and hard of hearing people.

TV never gets interpreting right.

Watching it now.

The cop or whoever who is doing the interpreting should NOT be interpreting. Interpreters should be neutral and impartial. Officers of the court, police officers, judges, or attorneys should not be used as interpreters. I'm serving on a committe now that is writing a bench card for courts in Ohio that offers guidelines for working with deaf and hard of hearing people.

TV never gets interpreting right.

But don't the police hire people as interpreters? I have seen people wearing the badge who aren't officers. He may just be wearing the badge to show that he is working with the police.

The deaf lawyer who was in the interoggation room is the husband of my co-worker. VERY small role, ha!

I thought it was interesting but I rolled my eyes at the sight of protestors cuz it seems like deaf people are being portrayed as protestors these days stemming from the Gallaudet protest and all. Just enough with deaf people protesting..LOL!

But don't the police hire people as interpreters? I have seen people wearing the badge who aren't officers. He may just be wearing the badge to show that he is working with the police.
That was also my impression. I thought he was a staff interpreter for the police department, and not a detective.

Hello all,

I loved the show. It described the pros and cons of CI very well. As for that guy who was serving as an interpreter was more like an on site interpreter. For that role, I thought that he played it really well.

For instance, he wouldn't interpret or look at that deaf guy and the deaf lawyer in the room through the glass because that is between the lawyer and client confidentilty.

Overall, I thought it was very well written and acted out great!

That was also my impression. I thought he was a staff interpreter for the police department, and not a detective.

That is the probability of it. Most staff interpreters, from my own research into it (possible future position after graduation), are not involved in the evidence and, unless the information is given from the police to the Deaf person. Plus I have never seen the guy on there in any other episodes of CI.

Back