The ROPES OF WRATH

Many very good comments, I want to say thank to you for telling the truth that I was hoping for. So I dont have to say my own words. Let people see the truth. I am so greatful to have that url for you to read from a d/Deaf person.

Sweetmind, yep that url is a good one. Thanks for sharing it.

Anyway, when I was little, I went to a special unit for the hard of hearing children at a hearing school and I also boarded at the Deaf residential school. Therefore I was learning two languages growing up, speech & hear at the HOH unit and Auslan at the Deaf school. I am glad that I have learnt auslan through from my Deaf boarding peers. When I didn't understand some homework from the HOH unit, I would ask the older girls at the Deaf school and we would work it out together as a little team in auslan which is a good back up for me. It was fun being together solving some questions in auslan.

At the HOH unit, I have seen some cruelty going on in the classroom by my hearing teacher and my speech therapist. That's all because handful of us kids who are boarders at the deaf school were using auslan and the rest of the kids in the class were learning it from us outside of the classroom. Of course, we (the boarders) got into trouble for it. We were told that we mustn't use auslan and we all must focus on speech & hear. Of course we got punished for it in a cruel ways. We get spanked and dragged over to be told off. Some of us got our hair on top of our head grabbed and we were dragged to the front of our teacher desk or to outside. Then we were told off verbally.
In the classroom, we all have a desk that have a lid each, when one of us got caught signing, our teacher would lift the desk lid up and tell us put our hand down and then she shut the lid down on our hands. Geez! that was painful.
One day each week, we go to the speech therapist in turn. Our speech therapist always have a spoon. She use it to spank our hand with it if we don't say some words right. Also she use the handle of the spoon to poke and prod our tongue with it as to correcting the way our tongue should be when we say a word. I find it uncomfortable and horrible to have a handle of a spoon in my mouth.
Geez whizz! If that speech therapist still around doing that now, she'd be sacked, now that we got a better law to prevent any cruelty to children. That including teachers too.

Back