The quest for silence

Flip, sorry to have hijacked your thread when I responded to DrPhil's comment.
DrPhil, if you'd like to continue discussing voluntary deafness, please start another thread. Let's leave this thread to discussing Flip's desire to immerse himself in silence which he has every right to do.

No problem, this thread is also about "voluntary" deafness, so I don't object fresh discussions, or a litle derailing as long people move over to other threads if they want to make furious posts that lock threads.

A heads up to posters in this thread; don't read everything I write here literally, as some of it is meant as parody, and people have to filter what is and not themselves. It does not mean I don't sincerly appreciate the support because this topic seriously matters to me as a deaf person, and obviously for other people, too.

More to come up in this journey towards silence. Have a nice day!

wow flip, your thread sure impacts some of members on AD. I am an ASL user all my life and I am very comfortable the way my life goes. Sure I do have some bumps in my life but i can adjust to the life whatever it takes me to make myself comfortable around hearing people. Thanks to my deaf school that taught me to be myself around people.

hey, I am learning so much from you, flip. Just be sure to get on the right track of right people who are in your life then you are OK. :D

I guess the discussion re "voluntary" relates to how you are dealing with "recently becoming deaf" by "rejecting a cochlear implant". Thus the end result will be silence and having to learn-quickly- ASL. This is choice you have made. Whatever anyone else says is only their personal experience which doesn't apply to you.
There is a group of persons who "embrace silence"-Trappist monks/hermits. Your ongoing choice will affect persons who know you and don't use ASL in "social interaction" with you. Thus the advice of persons here might "assist you" with "relevant insight on how to deal with this situation".
Much luck in your new ongoing silent life journey Flip.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I guess the discussion re "voluntary" relates to how you are dealing with "recently becoming deaf" by "rejecting a cochlear implant". Thus the end result will be silence and having to learn-quickly- ASL. This is choice you have made. Whatever anyone else says is only their personal experience which doesn't apply to you.
There is a group of persons who "embrace silence"-Trappist monks/hermits. Your ongoing choice will affect persons who know you and don't use ASL in "social interaction" with you. Thus the advice of persons here might "assist you" with "relevant insight on how to deal with this situation".
Much luck in your new ongoing silent life journey Flip.

Not sure why you compare me with monks? Their definition of silence is to take some deep dives into themselves by avoiding vivid sounds and interaction with other people. Their silence is a meditative state.

My silence is perhaps the opposite. It's about getting closer to the material world by improve the use of visual inputs. Embracing silence here would be more similar to embracing the world, and that would include social interaction, too.(wow, I sound like a guru lol).

I have some ongoing discussions with my doctor that I will present here later about languages. Advices from you are interesting and I take them into consideration.

wow flip, your thread sure impacts some of members on AD. I am an ASL user all my life and I am very comfortable the way my life goes. Sure I do have some bumps in my life but i can adjust to the life whatever it takes me to make myself comfortable around hearing people. Thanks to my deaf school that taught me to be myself around people.

hey, I am learning so much from you, flip. Just be sure to get on the right track of right people who are in your life then you are OK. :D

So true, so true. Being deaf or living without sounds is not the problem, but what you do with it.

Thanks for the wise words!

Not sure why you compare me with monks? Their definition of silence is to take some deep dives into themselves by avoiding vivid sounds and interaction with other people. Their silence is a meditative state.

My silence is perhaps the opposite. It's about getting closer to the material world by improve the use of visual inputs. Embracing silence here would be more similar to embracing the world, and that would include social interaction, too.(wow, I sound like a guru lol).

I have some ongoing discussions with my doctor that I will present here later about languages. Advices from you are interesting and I take them into consideration.

He has been thrusting his sword into PFH's sides over PFH's choice not to wear hearing aids or get cochlear implants. Oddly enough, it seems like PFH interacts with more people in real life than the person mocking him.

Flip: there is NO implication that YOU are being compared to Trappist monks/ hermits as to their use of silence. Their "reason" appears to be different one than you stated. The mediative state for them is- God-one hopes. Whether silence will be actualized as you visualize-time will tell.
Again Flip- good luck in your ongoing life journey .

Flip: there is NO implication that YOU are being compared to Trappist monks/ hermits as to their use of silence. Their "reason" appears to be different one than you stated. The mediative state for them is- God-one hopes. Whether silence will be actualized as you visualize-time will tell.

Flip doesn't need luck. She has skill and intelligence. She will do just fine.

Thanks, but no need to worry. I won't give up :) The doctor said that as long one keep sounds out and don't wear HA, the brain eventually will accomodate. The brain will also start to work as a faster pace than before the activation of silence, because it won't be depressed by medicore auditive inputs anymore.

Only two days to activation of silence. I almost can't belive it finally is happening! :):):)

The doctor said that as long one keep sounds out and don't wear HA, the brain eventually will accomodate. The brain will also start to work as a faster pace than before the activation of silence, because it won't be depressed by medicore auditive inputs anymore.

Seems sort of like getting superpowers. Good luck Flip. I've been practicing ASL too. I didn't even know they had finger weights for that.

Your doctor is correct our brain is a complex organ. Though not sure how "mediocre auditive inputs" depresses our brain? Is everyone brain affected? Isn't our brain meant to handle sound?
Will the neural plasticity of your brain be affected?

Flip, why 2 days countdown, can't you just get rid of them today? Just interested.. (i may have missed something)

Your doctor is correct our brain is a complex organ. Though not sure how "mediocre auditive inputs" depresses our brain? Is everyone brain affected? Isn't our brain meant to handle sound?
Will the neural plasticity of your brain be affected?

You know doctors often think their way is the only way, but let me tell you that I suspect that her "mediocre auditive inputs" in reality is a subjective term. But check out what some posters in this thread say about sound and brain: question for deafie hearing ad wearers or those that decided not to wear hearing aids. Here you can find examples of people who sensed that mediocre auditive inputs depressed their brain, and got rid of the HAs, though they would perhaps word their reasoning for ditching HAs a bit different than I do here.

Whether our brain is meant to handle sound or not, is a huge question, but remember that I'm talking about mediocre sound, not "clear" sound, two different types of sound. Not sure what kind of sound you are talking about here.

Btw, what are the brain really meant to handle? How excactly are our senses meant to experience the world? Is it a message from the nature when I'm born deaf and, according to neuroscientists, sign language came before speech as we know it today? Is our society meant to have a share of deaf people when nature have created it that way? As I see it, my brain is perfect accomodated to silence, and sound don't have any space in it. Advanced visual awarness and language is a rare advantage and skill among homo sapiens, that I'm not letting go by focusing on so-so speech&listening skills, praised by a few Hearing people, with the aid of HAs and CI. But everyone makes their _own_ choice!

Regarding neural plasticity, I dunno, hm..

Thanks for interesting questions, though.

Back