The quest for silence

I guess it is a philosophical question whether our human brain is supposed to "handle/deal" with sound. Is having a Cochlea is clue? Why have one if not to "deal with sound"?Of interest to alldeaf.com-how many other "deaf" persons has opted to this scenario? Never dull.
It would seem that your "specific future life-journey" has not much to do with "deafness" as such but a potential restructuring of your own brain functions. Possible?
As stated previously-anyone can "attempt to deal in any way with their own life circumstances". A free choice-we all have.
Big moment coming up for you- Flip.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I guess it is a philosophical question whether our human brain is supposed to "handle/deal" with sound. Is having a Cochlea is clue? Why have one if not to "deal with sound"?Of interest to alldeaf.com-how many other "deaf" persons has opted to this scenario? Never dull.
It would seem that your "specific future life-journey" has not much to do with "deafness" as such but a potential restructuring of your own brain functions. Possible?
As stated previously-anyone can "attempt to deal in any way with their own life circumstances". A free choice-we all have.

To answer your question shorthanded - yes, the human brain is actually wired differently when you're deaf.

Interesting observation: There is a spot in the normal person's brain that is activated only by using music. Nothing but music. A person talking will not activate this.
BUT in ASL users -- This same spot is activated, hence the more emotional connection to ASL.

To answer your question shorthanded - yes, the human brain is actually wired differently when you're deaf.

Interesting observation: There is a spot in the normal person's brain that is activated only by using music. Nothing but music. A person talking will not activate this.
BUT in ASL users -- This same spot is activated, hence the more emotional connection to ASL.

some people feel sorry for deaf people that they can't enjoy music...

Like someone once said to me "there's something wrong with a person who don't like music"....It's always gotta be about music, heh.

But we know that music isn't just sound. It's vibrations.
Why else would people enjoy playing music so loud in their cars that someone in another car can feel it?
The deaf/Deaf can certainly feel and enjoy the vibrations.

Flip, wishing you the best in adjusting to your "new" world.

Shh.. this is a public forum, we don't want to reveal all our secrets, don't we? ;) I'll take it slowly, promise.

Lol, my mum cannot use computer, even switch it on because she never had need to use it, ask my dad or me do something for her on computer. So I am "safe" online. :D

According to PFH deaf people have their brains wired different! Minor query: does that include the "deaf" who uses Cochlear Implants? Also is this "new discovery" really neural plasticity "feature" of the brain?
Wide ranging discussion now on brain structure.
In keeping with this thread-big day for Flip coming.

According to PFH deaf people have their brains wired different! Minor query: does that include the "deaf" who uses Cochlear Implants? Also is this "new discovery" really neural plasticity "feature" of the brain?
Wide ranging discussion now on brain structure.
In keeping with this thread-big day for Flip coming.

Most of them, I am sure.

Nice to know- I now have a "rewired deaf brain" even with my Implant. Thanks PFH for the update.

Ok, I am now offically totally deaf!

Everything went smooth and without major complications. The doctor first pulled the right HA as I'm less deaf on that ear. She then tested I could rely on my visual skills. After successfully playing hide and seek where I had to find my doctor hiding in different places in her office, we agreed that the other HA could be removed, too.

She said that the advantages of going bilateral silent far exceeds unilateral silence. For example most bilateral people are better at estimating distances, thus doing more correct signs in ASL. Also body language reading comprehending rise with around 30 percent with bilateral silence compared to going unilateral. Of course, I didn't say no thanks to that! She lowered curtains, and darkened the room a bit, before she pulled out the left HA. All that happened is that I got a bit dizzy, that was it. So it's not that invasive as some people tell you, don't belive their lies!

Then the doctor checked my visual awarness by telling an ASL joke. My eyes catched the details in the joke pretty well. It was so funny! She had to stop telling ASL jokes as my stomach started to hurt from laughing, and I was prescribed some painkillers for the first few days.

I catched up to 70 percent of the details in the joke, and that's a good score right after activation.

Right now I am relaxing on the couch, exhausted with sore eyes from an overwhelming visual day(why did God create so many pretty women?).

Lol, my mum cannot use computer, even switch it on because she never had need to use it, ask my dad or me do something for her on computer. So I am "safe" online. :D

Ok, good for ya, hope other parents on this board misses this post. ;)

i doubt yours is... to be honest.

drphil don't hear the same sounds as hearing people do, so maybe his brain is more or less different wired than if he was hearing? But that would also perhaps depend on if he was late deafened or not. Just speculating, as I don't know much about neuroscience.

Yes, it looks like it's a philosophical question you are asking here. My cochlea can of course be a clue. Like whatfor do we need hair on the toe, nipples on men, wisdomteeth, tailbone, gall bladder etc.?

As our brain is known to constantly change and evolve, I guess you are right it's about restructuring, rewiring, whatever people call it. But not sure why you say it don't have much with deafness to do, as I am going totally deaf in this process.

I agree wholeheartly with you it's a free choice we all have. Every single person should be respected no matter what she choose to do with her cochlea, yeah.

PFH: how can you possible ascertain the state of my brain since I became totally deaf on December 20, 2006? I didn't even know of alldeaf.com back then. I joined in July 2010.I doubt if one's brain ascertain if one is using ASL or another system to "restructure itself".
Off to real work- quiet swimming being deaf!

PFH: how can you possible ascertain the state of my brain since I became totally deaf on December 20, 2006? I didn't even know of alldeaf.com back then. I joined in July 2010.I doubt if one's brain ascertain if one is using ASL or another system to "restructure itself".
Off to real work- quiet swimming being deaf!

I didn't say for certain.

People who grew up a certain way has their brains wired a certain way, and you've been hearing for what 60? years? With that in thought, your brain might have set in its ways then you became deaf?

Like Flip said, I'm no expert in neuroscience.

Ok, I am now offically totally deaf!

Everything went smooth and without major complications. The doctor first pulled the right HA as I'm less deaf on that ear. She then tested I could rely on my visual skills. After successfully playing hide and seek where I had to find my doctor hiding in different places in her office, we agreed that the other HA could be removed, too.

She said that the advantages of going bilateral silent far exceeds unilateral silence. For example most bilateral people are better at estimating distances, thus doing more correct signs in ASL. Also body language reading comprehending rise with around 30 percent with bilateral silence compared to going unilateral. Of course, I didn't say no thanks to that! She lowered curtains, and darkened the room a bit, before she pulled out the left HA. All that happened is that I got a bit dizzy, that was it. So it's not that invasive as some people tell you, don't belive their lies!

Then the doctor checked my visual awarness by telling an ASL joke. My eyes catched the details in the joke pretty well. It was so funny! She had to stop telling ASL jokes as my stomach started to hurt from laughing, and I was prescribed some painkillers for the first few days.

I catched up to 70 percent of the details in the joke, and that's a good score right after activation.

Right now I am relaxing on the couch, exhausted with sore eyes from an overwhelming visual day(why did God create so many pretty women?).

I love this post.

Flip: one can wonder why humans have Cochleas amongst other body parts eg arms legs etc. Yeah you are right- a philosophical question. To the best of my knowledge humans haven't evolved that much to "discard body parts" which have been previously utilized. It is a different question on how can deal with "missing something". eg hearing. I can easily empathize with you -as stated before-I became totally deaf on December 20, 2006. This will never change. When I disconnect my implant- immediate silence!
Again Flip much success in your new "adventure in silence".

Flip: one can wonder why humans have Cochleas amongst other body parts eg arms legs etc. Yeah you are right- a philosophical question. To the best of my knowledge humans haven't evolved that much to "discard body parts" which have been previously utilized. It is a different question on how can deal with "missing something". eg hearing. I can easily empathize with you -as stated before-I became totally deaf on December 20, 2006. This will never change. When I disconnect my implant- immediate silence!
Again Flip much success in your new "adventure in silence".

Actually,they have. Might want to check that claim out.

Back