The PS3 is not overpriced!

Gt-racing

Reaction score
"The PS3 is not overpriced!

All I ever hear about the PS3 is it's price. $600. $600. $600. That's what comes up whenever the PS3 is mentioned. In fact, it's right on the cover of Official PlayStation Magazine. People seem to forget that the PS3 is $500 too. The $500 pack is what most people should be getting anyway. I'll explain.

Now the prices of the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 are pretty similar. The $400 360 and the $500 PS3 are the two consoles that should be compared. Not the $400 360 and the $600 PS3. Not the $300 360 and the $500 PS3.

Any gamer with half a brain should be ignoring the $300 Xbox 360. It lacks a hard drive, backward compatability, a wireless controller, and any form of memory for games. In order to just get basic functionality out of this pack, you must spend another $40 for a memory card so you would be stupid if you didn't just throw in another $60 to get the "Premium" pack.

That leaves us with just the $400 360. It comes with a 20GB hard drive, backward compatabilty (kinda), and a wireless controller. $400 is reasonable for this pack.

Now the $500 PS3 includes a 20GB hard drive, backwards compatability with every PS1 and PS2 game in your collection, and a wireless control. That's everything that the "Premium" Xbox 360 offers. Throw in the fact that online play will be free and you get the supposedly more powerful console and a Blu-Ray player which will allow for much larger games and the $500 PS3 is a pretty good deal for only $100 more.

As for the $600 PS3, this is a true "Premium" pack. This has everything that the $500 PS3 has plus an HDMI slot, Wi-Fi capability, a 60GB hard drive, and a few memory card slots. First, not a lot of people have HDTVs and even fewer have a HDTV with HDMI. Second, plenty of people can do without Wi-Fi as proven by the 360, Xbox, and PS2. Third, who really needs the card reader slots? And Fourth, you can do without the 60GB hard drive. If 20GB isn't enough for you then this $600 pack should be your only option for a next-gen console. I'll be getting the $600 version hopefully since I can use the Wi-Fi to play my PS3 online anywhere in my house and I have HDMI on one of my TVs so for me, it's worth it. For anyone that doesn't have a use for the HDMI and Wi-Fi, buying the $600 pack is pointless.

It should be the $400 Xbox 360 and the $500 PS3 that should be compared (the Wii is something completely different so I didn't include it). Both consoles have identical features and the PS3 has full backwards compatability and a Blu-Ray drive to justify the extra $100.

When it comes time to make a choice between the 360 and the PS3, price shouldn't be an issue. If you really want a PS3, $100 shouldn't be an issue at all. To me, it's worth the extra cash to have my first choice of console. I'd rather live with a thin wallet than the regret of not getting what I really wanted."

Gt-racing said:
"The PS3 is not overpriced!

All I ever hear about the PS3 is it's price. $600. $600. $600. That's what comes up whenever the PS3 is mentioned. In fact, it's right on the cover of Official PlayStation Magazine. People seem to forget that the PS3 is $500 too. The $500 pack is what most people should be getting anyway. I'll explain.

Now the prices of the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 are pretty similar. The $400 360 and the $500 PS3 are the two consoles that should be compared. Not the $400 360 and the $600 PS3. Not the $300 360 and the $500 PS3.

Any gamer with half a brain should be ignoring the $300 Xbox 360. It lacks a hard drive, backward compatability, a wireless controller, and any form of memory for games. In order to just get basic functionality out of this pack, you must spend another $40 for a memory card so you would be stupid if you didn't just throw in another $60 to get the "Premium" pack.

That leaves us with just the $400 360. It comes with a 20GB hard drive, backward compatabilty (kinda), and a wireless controller. $400 is reasonable for this pack.

Now the $500 PS3 includes a 20GB hard drive, backwards compatability with every PS1 and PS2 game in your collection, and a wireless control. That's everything that the "Premium" Xbox 360 offers. Throw in the fact that online play will be free and you get the supposedly more powerful console and a Blu-Ray player which will allow for much larger games and the $500 PS3 is a pretty good deal for only $100 more.

As for the $600 PS3, this is a true "Premium" pack. This has everything that the $500 PS3 has plus an HDMI slot, Wi-Fi capability, a 60GB hard drive, and a few memory card slots. First, not a lot of people have HDTVs and even fewer have a HDTV with HDMI. Second, plenty of people can do without Wi-Fi as proven by the 360, Xbox, and PS2. Third, who really needs the card reader slots? And Fourth, you can do without the 60GB hard drive. If 20GB isn't enough for you then this $600 pack should be your only option for a next-gen console. I'll be getting the $600 version hopefully since I can use the Wi-Fi to play my PS3 online anywhere in my house and I have HDMI on one of my TVs so for me, it's worth it. For anyone that doesn't have a use for the HDMI and Wi-Fi, buying the $600 pack is pointless.

It should be the $400 Xbox 360 and the $500 PS3 that should be compared (the Wii is something completely different so I didn't include it). Both consoles have identical features and the PS3 has full backwards compatability and a Blu-Ray drive to justify the extra $100.

When it comes time to make a choice between the 360 and the PS3, price shouldn't be an issue. If you really want a PS3, $100 shouldn't be an issue at all. To me, it's worth the extra cash to have my first choice of console. I'd rather live with a thin wallet than the regret of not getting what I really wanted."

Sounds good. I'm getting me a PS3 about 4 months after it's arrival date. I'll have two systems (360 and PS3) and maybe getting Wii because I like Mario and Zelda.

Sony better include anal lube with their Playstation 3's so the lubed rape won't hurt as much :Owned:

Sorry, I didn't realize you just turned 16. Go figure. I didn't know you could drift on bicycles, rental go-karts, Big Wheels and such ;)

Lol, while you guys are arguing over PS3 vs. XBOX 360, I'll be happily playing with my Nintendo Wii system with the classic controller and great hardware quality that doesn't crash often or charge me too much money. :)

RITCount said:
Lol, while you guys are arguing over PS3 vs. XBOX 360, I'll be happily playing with my Nintendo Wii system with the classic controller and great hardware quality that doesn't crash often or charge me too much money. :)

;) I stopped being a fanboy a long time ago. I will get the Wii for sure.

Sony is just banking on fanbois and gullible consumers. C'mon, show me the exclusive titles I have to have on the PS3. Metal Gear Solid? Blah, the gameplay got old fast like the Resident Evil's. Final Fantasy? LOL, it got old after FF VII.

Sure, I will go back to my X360 with Live Arcade, upcoming blockbuster games. They are either exclusive or just as pretty as PS3's.

X360's Games In The Future

Oooh, snap!

Can you say Halo 3? Can you say BioShock? Mass Effect? Forza Motorsports 2? Gears Of War? Dead Or Alive Xtreme 2? Jade Empire 2? Alan Wake? Fable 2? Shadowrun? Ninja Gaiden 2?

And these are exclusive to the X360!

Keep in mind, if Sony came out with a next-gen system before Microsoft did with the exact same services, pricing, games; I would get it regardless of the name brand! Fanyboys just plain sucks the big one.

I go where the grass is greener :whistle:

Fragmenter said:
;) I stopped being a fanboy a long time ago. I will get the Wii for sure.

Sony is just banking on fanbois and gullible consumers. C'mon, show me the exclusive titles I have to have on the PS3. Metal Gear Solid? Blah, the gameplay got old fast like the Resident Evil's. Final Fantasy? LOL, it got old after FF VII.

Sure, I will go back to my X360 with Live Arcade, upcoming blockbuster games. They are either exclusive or just as pretty as PS3's.

X360's Games In The Future

Oooh, snap!

Can you say Halo 3? Can you say BioShock? Mass Effect? Forza Motorsports 2? Gears Of War? Dead Or Alive Xtreme 2? Jade Empire 2? Alan Wake? Fable 2? Shadowrun? Ninja Gaiden 2?

And these are exclusive to the X360!

Keep in mind, if Sony came out with a next-gen system before Microsoft did with the exact same services, pricing, games; I would get it regardless of the name brand! Fanyboys just plain sucks the big one.

I go where the grass is greener :whistle:

Funny, you seem to think i support the 360 when i've said on many occasions that I will get both the Wii and PS3.

Even "Prey" may also be on PC but at least it's only exclusive on a videogame console and that is...Xbox360.

I'm pretty excited for the exclusives like Gears of War, DoAX2, and even Halo 3. :P makes me so glad that I got the Xbox360 in time for those greatest hits coming to Xbox360.

Anyway, this keeps getting worse about the Play$tation 3...

Cell processor reliability details may surprise you

As Sony's PlayStation 3 console nears its official release, more focus has turned to the technical wizardry that lays inside the actual machine. The Cell processor, developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba, has gained a great deal of attention over the last year. In an interview with Electronic News however, IBM vice president of Semiconductor and Technology Services Tom Reeves says that his company is lucky if it can get 10% to 20% yields on the Cell processor.

The Cell processor is so complex that IBM even accepts chips that have only four out of the eight cores working. Not all cores end up functional says Reeves. In regards to why the yields are so low, Reeves says "[defects becomes a bigger problem the bigger the chip is. With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95 percent. With a chip like the Cell processor, you’re lucky to get 10 or 20 percent. If you put logic redundancy on it, you can double that." According to Reeves, Sony will be using Cell processors whether they have all cores functional or not. Reeves says that the PlayStation 3 requires at least seven of the eight cores operational.

According to Reeves, IBM is still debating whether or not to discard the processors that have only six or less cores operational. Because of the design, the processors are still operational and can be used for various applications. IBM says that it will reserve the top chips for applications such as medical imaging and defense applications.

With Reeves' statements, it appears as though Sony will be producing PlayStation 3 consoles with different Cell processors -- some with all eight cores operational and some with just seven. Reeves however does not believe that Sony will offer different pricing for the machines and only time will tell if there will be performance differences. Reeves says however that users will not see any differences in speed. "The PlayStation 3 only uses seven of [the eight cores]. You'd have a spare."

In the interview, Reeves also talks about failure rate as there is a possibility that one of the cores in the Cell will "blow" at any given time. Reeves says that usually, testing during fabrication stages will detect whether a core or more will be problematic. Using electrical "fuses", IBM can "blow" out a core during wafer testing. When asked what would happen if a 7-core PlayStation 3 ends up losing another core during operation, Reeves stated that the user would simply send the unit back for replacement. Unfortunately, this only applies if the console is still under warranty -- if it isn't, the console is dead.

Over the last several months, speculation over the PlayStation 3's official retail costs have caused many gamers to sit up and take notice. Some analysts believe that Sony's new toy will cost too much to compete but Sony has said that the entry price will not affect the PlayStation 3's adoption. Considering the extremely low yields on the Cell processor in conjunction with extensive testing time to make sure final PlayStation 3 consoles ship with reliable processors, the high introductory pricing of the PlayStation 3 begins to show its true reasons. Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) president Ken Kutaragi previously said that if the PlayStation 3 was priced at $599, it would actually be "too cheap."

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3295

I laughed and cried and fell on the floor so hard after Ken Kutaragi thinking he put up a good argument for saying that the $600 price tag is still pretty cheap for a PS3. :lol:

C'mon guys...look at the truth!

Sony expected TOO much from the Playstation 3 and the cost of the new techology is too high and is still brand new that it hasnt even been around the world yet! Sony don't really NEED blu-ray, but they wanted it so bad to win the so-called format wars. does it look like I would give a fuck if the PS3 would still be playing DVDs? actually no, I would still like it. Microsoft is still using reliable techology that's pretty easy and not so expenisve to use...such as a such as a duel-core processor, but Sony refused and wants something else that cost too much to rip our heads off.

again...good luck sony fanboys. :wave:

Steel X said:
Even "Prey" may also be on PC but at least it's only exclusive on a videogame console and that is...Xbox360.

I'm pretty excited for the exclusives like Gears of War, DoAX2, and even Halo 3. :P makes me so glad that I got the Xbox360 in time for those greatest hits coming to Xbox360.

As Sony's PlayStation 3 console nears its official release, more focus has turned to the technical wizardry that lays inside the actual machine. The Cell processor, developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba, has gained a great deal of attention over the last year. In an interview with Electronic News however, IBM vice president of Semiconductor and Technology Services Tom Reeves says that his company is lucky if it can get 10% to 20% yields on the Cell processor.

The Cell processor is so complex that IBM even accepts chips that have only four out of the eight cores working. Not all cores end up functional says Reeves. In regards to why the yields are so low, Reeves says "[defects becomes a bigger problem the bigger the chip is. With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95 percent. With a chip like the Cell processor, you’re lucky to get 10 or 20 percent. If you put logic redundancy on it, you can double that." According to Reeves, Sony will be using Cell processors whether they have all cores functional or not. Reeves says that the PlayStation 3 requires at least seven of the eight cores operational.

According to Reeves, IBM is still debating whether or not to discard the processors that have only six or less cores operational. Because of the design, the processors are still operational and can be used for various applications. IBM says that it will reserve the top chips for applications such as medical imaging and defense applications.

With Reeves' statements, it appears as though Sony will be producing PlayStation 3 consoles with different Cell processors -- some with all eight cores operational and some with just seven. Reeves however does not believe that Sony will offer different pricing for the machines and only time will tell if there will be performance differences. Reeves says however that users will not see any differences in speed. "The PlayStation 3 only uses seven of [the eight cores]. You'd have a spare."

In the interview, Reeves also talks about failure rate as there is a possibility that one of the cores in the Cell will "blow" at any given time. Reeves says that usually, testing during fabrication stages will detect whether a core or more will be problematic. Using electrical "fuses", IBM can "blow" out a core during wafer testing. When asked what would happen if a 7-core PlayStation 3 ends up losing another core during operation, Reeves stated that the user would simply send the unit back for replacement. Unfortunately, this only applies if the console is still under warranty -- if it isn't, the console is dead.

Over the last several months, speculation over the PlayStation 3's official retail costs have caused many gamers to sit up and take notice. Some analysts believe that Sony's new toy will cost too much to compete but Sony has said that the entry price will not affect the PlayStation 3's adoption. Considering the extremely low yields on the Cell processor in conjunction with extensive testing time to make sure final PlayStation 3 consoles ship with reliable processors, the high introductory pricing of the PlayStation 3 begins to show its true reasons. Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) president Ken Kutaragi previously said that if the PlayStation 3 was priced at $599, it would actually be "too cheap."

I laughed and cried and fell on the floor so hard after Ken Kutaragi thinking he put up a good argument for saying that the $600 price tag is still pretty cheap for a PS3. :lol:

Sony expected TOO much from the Playstation 3 and the cost of the new techology is too high and is still brand new that it hasnt even been around the world yet! Sony don't really NEED blu-ray, but they wanted it so bad to win the so-called format wars. does it look like I would give a fuck if the PS3 would still be playing DVDs? actually no, I would still like it. Microsoft is still using reliable techology that's pretty easy and not so expenisve to use...such as a such as a duel-core processor, but Sony refused and wants something else that cost too much to rip our heads off.

Actually, I have a great plan that will enable me to get a PS3. It's called, "Waiting for a price drop."

Steel X said:

How am I going to explain to you as anti-PS3? Having 8 CORES in ps3 is AWESOME. 4 of 8 cores are working and they are still working on to get 3 more cores to work. Anyways, as a computer geek, the $599,99 dollars version PS3 is considered the cheapest price ever, might beat all pc's such as dell, alienware, and gateway. Who knows 360 :)

yeah the PS3 is no longer a videogame console it's more of a linux computer and I dont think many of us really want one when we already have a PC for the internet and online gaming and stuff like that. We just want the games and the DVD rom. not the blu-ray drive and the 8 cores where one of them is most likely to "explode" due to too much power in it.

...since when did I say I'm an anti-PS3?

Whew, boy... 8 cores? Who needs 7 or 8 cores? 6? 5? How about quadcore processor?

And as for Linux, why Linux in PS3? I'd like to have Windows in PS3! That would be cool for me!!

I don't need more of a game console...game console is a game console and all I have to do is pop in the game and start playing it, just like in PS2.

PS3 will need to have a great cooling system, maybe like having a 120mm fan with +50 CFM (do a search) and less than 20 dBA of noise... I know that's big size but I think it's worth it... Maybe have a heatsink attached to the CPU and exaust fan attached to the heatsink and the chasis of the PS3. This should really bring the heat out of the PS3 case but not to be very noisy.

GraysonPeddie said:
Whew, boy... 8 cores? Who needs 7 or 8 cores? 6? 5? How about quadcore processor?

And as for Linux, why Linux in PS3? I'd like to have Windows in PS3! That would be cool for me!!

I don't need more of a game console...game console is a game console and all I have to do is pop in the game and start playing it, just like in PS2.

PS3 will need to have a great cooling system, maybe like having a 120mm fan with +50 CFM (do a search) and less than 20 dBA of noise... I know that's big size but I think it's worth it... Maybe have a heatsink attached to the CPU and exaust fan attached to the heatsink and the chasis of the PS3. This should really bring the heat out of the PS3 case but not to be very noisy.
Linux owns all OS. Linux is the best OS ever. No fucking way let sony instal Windows on PS3 and fuck up the system due to a ton of viruses. Wait a minute, Windows is owned by MS.

DefMATRIXense said:
Linux owns all OS. Linux is the best OS ever. No fucking way let sony instal Windows on PS3 and fuck up the system due to a ton of viruses. Wait a minute, Windows is owned by MS.

Linux still can get virus. It called BLISS for linux virus.

It does everywhere to many different Operating Systems. First virus start happens into Apple II.

There is no such computer that is EVER error-free...why? because we dont live in a perfect world!

PS3 is still OVERPRICE and it will fail sell 3 millions unit as Sony except within a year. :/

Who hell care about start debate against other gaming console? If anyone love DS, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, Wii, PS3 or whatever then its too stupid to being debate but every people are different personal if want gotta DS then love it. If Gt-racing who state about PS3 is not overpriced then its true because it was additional cost during BD built-in but people will get HD-DVD add-on for xbox 360 and probably cost around $100, also same with video and ROM.

Steel, Who cares about want DVD ROM only for xbox 360 and PS3 then fuck to DVD ROM because it's getting more limited since only good for movies though. I'm expected that all xbox 360 games would make in HD-DVD ROM instead of DVD because they are encourage you to buy HD-DVD add-on. That's same as PS3 does since BD ROM is built-in. If you complain about cost then get job and quit to start SSI because SSI is totally whacked. You need get over it about PS3, who decide to create is Sony because most groups are agree with Sony, also Microsoft is just create xbox 360 with heat pipe, DVD ROM or whatever then its their decide to what doing with gaming console. If you don't like it then don't buy it, that simple.

getpaidps3joy.jpg

I'm going ignore all steel's crap... I'm happy with PS3... ;)

Back