The Pope's Infallibility is Fallible

Wokamuka

Reaction score
November 16, 2007
Vatican joins historic talks to end 950-year rift with Orthodox church -Times Online

"If the proposals move forward, the Pope would be acknowledged as the universal Primate, as he was before the schism. Although it is not stated outright, he would be expected by the Orthodox churches to relinquish the doctrine of infallibility. The proposals could also allow married priests in the Catholic Church, as already happens in the Orthodox."

Interesting to see what will happens next. Thanks, Wokamuka for posting this news.

I think he looks old.

Do you know what they call the Pope these days?

The German Shepherd. :giggle:

I'd be really surprised if this actually happens. There's been so much internal pressure within the Catholic Church to allow priests to marry for so long, and the two churches have had 1000 years to come up with contradictory ideas. Both churches would be forced to reevaluate so many things that they've considered dogma for so long.

It would create HUGE changes within the Catholic Church.... unless the concordat allowed the separate patriarchates to maintain completely different standards of piety / religiousity, which would sort of erode the whole idea of a "universal church" in the first place.

Still, if it does happen, I'd say that would be a good thing. It would breathe new life into both the Catholic and Orthodox churches.

Interesting! It's about time priests start marrying. It'll help boost the numbers etc. I doubt it'll pass through, though.

Popes are never infalliable! Ptth.....

Back