The "Mainstreaming" Experience: "Isolated cases"?

And it is NOT just " teasing" It is OSTRACIZINTION. You have NO effing clue....being thought of as retarded b/c of our voices, being mocked.....god in Honors Latin. Let me repeat that, Honors Latin! I was asked if I was going to a special school after graduation?!?!
I've had my bike stolen simply b/c it was mine I've had dumb jock assholes treat me like I'm MR and can't tell that they are messing with me.

The person I was responding to is hearing. She's certainly entitled to hear something funny.

Doesn't matter. With English, you can read, write, and speak English. ASL is never spoken. It's not about semantics. It's about respecting the way a language is used, as I pointed out in later posts (e.g "She knows ASL and English," et al.) I don't think you will find a single person, deaf or hearing (e.g hearing parent of a deaf child) here that will say that ASL is ever spoken. My post only pointed out that ASL is signed, not spoken. Maybe if you understood even the slightest bit about deafness you would have a clue.

Anyhow, you want to take offense and chase down my posts, be my guest.

I was responding to what you said. The fact that you said "hear" was something that I stumbled upon. I really don't care if you said "hear this" even when you can't hear from a message board...hearing people read, not hear, what others have to say. It's something we all have in common. :hmm: I never said ASL was a spoken language. There are plenty of things in the English language that we say that aren't LITERAL, e.g., hearing people "speak" ASL.

You took my words and compleeettteeelllly twisted them and made something out of nothing.

And it is NOT just " teasing" It is OSTRACIZINTION. You have NO effing clue....being thought of as retarded b/c of our voices, being mocked.....god in Honors Latin. Let me repeat that, Honors Latin! I was asked if I was going to a special school after graduation?!?!
I've had my bike stolen simply b/c it was mine I've had dumb jock assholes treat me like I'm MR and can't tell that they are messing with me.

This is why the perception of deaf meaning dumb has to change. I don't know of seclusion is the answer, though. The less people are exposed to the Deaf, the less likely they are to understand how wrong the stereotype is!

Kids are mean...I was teased for having glasses. It wasn't because I had glasses - it was because I was the target and that was something to pick on.

I don't know of seclusion is the answer, though. The less people are exposed to the Deaf, the less likely they are to understand how wrong the stereotype is!
It's not nessararily seclusion/segregation. I mean I do strongly strongly support attendance at dhh program, which is generally housed at a hearing school....and I mean some kids at deaf schools attend hearing schools for other classes. And I mean the thing is......the people who make our lives HELL aren't gonna learn how wrong the stereotype is. They're just gonna continue their thinking b/c they are so FUCKING prejudicated!

Wirelessly posted

About mainstreaming, um, i been mainstreamed from k-12

Everyone knows its easy to study by the textbook (or reading to learn). Otherwise, if we were left to take our own notes using our own ears (something I' ve personally experienced many times when the materials is not in the textbook) and be tested based on that...i think many deaf would not survive. Luckily, public schools do provide books and materials. So being good and passing tests at school does not tell you the child is doing ok, especially socially. If a deaf child want to go to public school, no one should try to stop her, but no one should go around saying mainstream is the best for deaf children, or all deaf should be mainstreamed.

Also, assimilating deaf to the hearing population does not always help. And they dont learn a thing from me. I have them on facebook and they are the same and ignores you as usual. Even my own hearing sister don't learn from me. I told her that when a deaf person talk to a co worker, they should the one to work out some kind of communication. And she should advocate that type of independent living, but no, she said she wont because deaf people make them uncomfortable so they often ask her to deal with them like a hot potato. Sure we dont want them to see us as incapable with pity..or disabled or whatever. But we want them to appreicate who we are. Its like this, a black person does not want people going around saying, "black or white, doesnt matter to me" but in reality, its almost like denying their existence when people decide to be colorblind. Same with deafness and some people's reasons to why they should be mainstreamed.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way...it doesn't matter if deafydyke is deaf or hearing...I <3 her anyway.

The fact that she IS deaf means something to her so THAT matters to me.

dd, you need to have more faith in hearing people. they'll come around. it's a matter of time -- and maybe some political organization.

Wirelessly posted

Also about sending kids to deaf school, I often wonder why my husband's cousin is willing to move one place to another just so her autistic child could have the best education, or why parents move closer to the best hospital so their child with cancer can have the best treatment, and even some parents are willing to move for the best oral only deaf school when there are plenty of deaf school that provide both ASL and spoken, some even allow CODA or siblings ... but they won't and some rather mainstream their deaf child and stay right where they are. It just baffle me because i know they willing move for other reasons.

Wirelessly posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXBphr-Rhns&feature=youtube_gdata_player another video on mainstreaming by Dr.Dong

Wirelessly posted

TheOracle said:
Let me put it this way...it doesn't matter if deafydyke is deaf or hearing...I <3 her anyway.

The fact that she IS deaf means something to her so THAT matters to me.m

dd, you need to have more faith in hearing people. they'll come around. it's a matter of time -- and maybe some political organization.

Well It doesn't matter to me that you are a teacher or not . I'll just pretend you are not.

Last edited:
Well I won't apologize for being confident. :afro:

edit: then take issue with my confidence, not my hearing - or unilateral hearing, or hoh, or whatever you feel the need to label me as. if you disagree about something, then keep it to the point.

Are you in the field of Deaf education?

faire joure, but overall the gross majority of dhh kids are not just bullied but pretty much ostracized in ways you cannot imagine! Dhh kids are notrious for having major major social issues in the mainstream. I mean god, the social issues that dhh kids go through are so major that it's a major major major theme of the Clarke Mainstream conferences.

On top of that, having unequal access to language, communication and information puts deaf kids at a disadvantage in the educational setting. The more reason for bullies to use against us knowing that we have a hard time keeping up with everything.

This is why the perception of deaf meaning dumb has to change. I don't know of seclusion is the answer, though. The less people are exposed to the Deaf, the less likely they are to understand how wrong the stereotype is!

Kids are mean...I was teased for having glasses. It wasn't because I had glasses - it was because I was the target and that was something to pick on.

but you had full access to everything that was happening did you? You didnt have to constantly ask people to reapeat themselves, sit in the classroom not understanding what the teacher was saying, missing out on what others were saying and ended up being isolated despite being surrounded by hearing peers?

Did you experience that?

At least in a large deaf/hh program or at a Deaf school, the kids have visual language around them so they have full access in the educational setting.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Faire joure, if that's true, then how come most kids still have to use FM or soundfield....which blocks out the background noises!
What about all the oral aural kids who did decently by sitting up front and speechreading the teacher?

you specifically call those kids who did well "superstars", you can't have it both ways.

FM systems would be one way to make sure the student IS hearing well in noise.

Wirelessly posted

Hearing people don't always relate to us anyway. Ever noticed children books on glasses, theres always someone who can relate because they wear glasses too? You rarely find another deaf who can relate to you (other than deaf role model). With hearing people, you learned to keep your mouth shut, because if you start talking about it to them, they would either spouts their audist opinions or say nothing at all in hope you would change the subject. You've seen the show "what would you do" how hearing behave really do behave like that around their deaf friends. The only time they take interest in your life issue as a deaf person is if you speak about your journey to hear again. I noticed this after I got implant. If I talk about my issues with the implant , they take extreme interest, asking question and all, but if I talk about my issue as deaf person, *silent*

Wirelessly posted

Bebonang said:
Wirelessly posted

yes, if a child is going to be successful in a mainstream setting, using listening and spoken language, they must be able to understand speech in a noisy enviroment. Or they will be unable to understand the curriculum and their peers.

Why are you trolling us like this? You keep saying the "using listening and spoken language", which I hate that every time you said that over and over. You are not getting it at all. With the CIs, it is all the same like the hearing aids, so that means you want them or us to suffer trying to comprehend what the hearing person is saying. I am going to try hard to ignore you. Grrrrr! :mad:

i don't care that you hate it, it is true. Deaf kids do hear and understand spoken language. Not lipread, hear. I'm sorry that you seem to refuse to understand that, but everybody else does.

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Faire joure, if that's true, then how come most kids still have to use FM or soundfield....which blocks out the background noises!
What about all the oral aural kids who did decently by sitting up front and speechreading the teacher?

you specifically call those kids who did well "superstars", you can't have it both ways.

FM systems would be one way to make sure the student IS hearing well in noise.

With speechreading using sounds and lipreading combined, i can get the same amount of information as a child with CI .FM can be like being in an one in one conversation so how is that any different from my generation of FM? I wore phonic ear almost everyday since preschool until I was in 4th grade. I remember very well how it sounds and how limiting can be. Sure it helps, but don't expect it to be an improvement from my generation.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:

again, we all have very similar stories from that time. Why do you assume it is because you were deaf and mainstreamed? Isn't it more likely that people are dicks and they would have done it anyway?

i had a friend who had the eyes from the frog we dissected in biology put in her lunch. Another friend who had her locker broken into a dozeen times, just to steal her book, eventually they moved her lockers and it still continued.

i'm not saying you didn't go through hell, i'm saying i doubt it wouldn't have happened if you had been hearing.

Wirelessly posted

again, we all have very similar stories from that time. Why do you assume it is because you were deaf and mainstreamed? Isn't it more likely that people are dicks and they would have done it anyway?

i had a friend who had the eyes from the frog we dissected in biology put in her lunch. Another friend who had her locker broken into a dozeen times, just to steal her book, eventually they moved her lockers and it still continued.

i'm not saying you didn't go through hell, i'm saying i doubt it wouldn't have happened if you had been hearing.
Yes, it wasn't 100% an "one way street". That is the "hearing only picked on the deaf and not vice versa". Like I pointed out in a couple of posts, I wasn't exactly always a "saint" either. And went right along with playing this "popularity" game along my peers. And there were times that some of my hearing peers or classmates were picked on even more so than I was for whatever various reasons they were.

Sure, there may have been times I was made fun of. Although in fairness to some of my peers, sometime it was simply to get me to "shutup" when I was arguing balls or strikes or about some of the calls made in a game and so forth. LOL!

The fact that she IS deaf means something to her so THAT matters to me.

The Deaf have been waiting for tis for years and years. Many of them. Yes, there have been some improvements and advancements, but, the hearing people need to understand that not all deaf or hoh people want our hands held every step of the way. We want equality in all things. Yes, we may need more than others, but then again, so do those hearing people that need more things for different disabilities or such. I am not saying being deaf or hoh is a disability, so please don't think that's what I said. We are able and capable people. We just need certain things to help make our lives easier. I find I am speechless when I "hear" people make ready adjustments for the low vision or blind, or the wheelchair users or even the autistic or down's syndrome, but they are not ready to make the same type of needed adjustments for the deaf and hoh.

Back