The hearing and cochlear implant debate! Share your opinion!

again - direct your complaint to FDA at 888-463-6332 to clarify its statement regarding risk :)

and I'm not opposed to CI at all. I simply choose not to have it for myself if my hearing has degraded to the point where HA is useless.

If you're not opposed to CIs, why not mention the benefits instead of the risks? :hmm:

As far as the FDA is concerned, I don't need to call them. I'm a bilateral CI recipient and have done plenty of research in regards to risks, etc. and am quite happy with the choice I've made to be implanted. :cool2:

If you're not opposed to CIs, why not mention the benefits instead of the risks? :hmm:
you are free to do so. I merely chimed in for other ADer. beside - you and Faire have already provided the benefits of it. it's important to show the risk, right? :)

As far as the FDA is concerned, I don't need to call them. I'm a bilateral CI recipient and have done plenty of research in regards to risks, etc. and am quite happy with the choice I've made to be implanted. :cool2:
that's cool.

Has your hearing deteriorated that badly? :confused:

oh no not yet. but yes it has been slowly declining. Must be my age! I'm just saying if it does, I'm not going to opt for CI. I'm perfectly happy with the way I am - with residual hearing or none :cool2:

oh no not yet. but yes it has been slowly declining. Must be my age! I'm just saying if it does, I'm not going to opt for CI. I'm perfectly happy with the way I am - with residual hearing or none :cool2:

Understood. I keep fogetting that you're hoh. :doh:

Ummmm, HELLO! The device and surgery is NOT cheap. The more people opt for it, the more insurance rates will rise due to the fact that health care costs are SKY HIGH!

Ummmm, HELLO! The device and surgery are covered by insurance. The more people who opt for it, the less insurance rates will rise due to the fact that less money is spent on audiological and ENT services not to mention hearing aid programming. A CI may cost $50-60,000 initially, but after that, the expense is lessened since a person only requires a mapping every 6 or 12 months. Compare that to a hearing aid user who requires several visits for tweaking, annual hearing tests and a consultation with an ENT when problems arise with their ears.

Healthcare rates are sky right right now due to the expenses doctors charge for their services overall. Don't pin it on CIs because CIs have nothing to do with it.

really? I haven't gone for my audiologist for years after my hearing aids. And I didn't know my insurance cover it (they don't cover hearing aids, just cochlear implant, unless you have hearpo insurance)

and people do go for mapping more frequently when they have a problem (I have cochlear implant btw) That's what great about CI, when Hearing aids can't help with degraded hearing, CI can.. But either way, you still have to go for adjustment rather it is for CI or hearing aids if your hearing is changing.

If you're going to cite a source, then you need to back up your statement instead of making a generality about risk. You didn't indicate what degree of risk. You simply stated that there was a risk. I also said there was a risk of me crossing the street and getting hit by a car. So? Does that mean I shouldn't leave my home? Just because there's a small risk of facial paralysis, does that mean I shouldn't take the chance of being able to hear better? If you are opposed to CIs, that's fine, but don't exaggerate risks where little to none exist.

I never heard of a safe surgery.. There's always a risk.

you are free to do so. I merely chimed in for other ADer. beside - you and Faire have already provided the benefits of it. it's important to show the risk, right? :)

that's cool.

And I thank you. In another thread Sound and Fury, Doubletrouble who is the mother in the movie, does admit the risks and imperfections.

She seem one of the few CI user here who are not trying to push it for everyone.

She seem one of the few CI user here who are not trying to push it for everyone.

I'm not pushing the CI. In an earlier post I said that I encouraged people to use whatever communication technique or techniques worked best for them.

I never heard of a safe surgery.. There's always a risk.

There may be risks associated with CI surgery, but in many cases, the benefits outweigh them.

...and note that I said little or no risk. I never claimed CI surgery was
risk-free.

I'm not pushing the CI. In an earlier post I said that I encouraged people to use whatever communication technique or techniques worked best for them.

I know. I am saying it badly.

I mean she does tell the risks and non sucess stories too.

I know you are very sincere.

But either way, you still have to go for adjustment rather it is for CI or hearing aids if your hearing is changing.

Typically CI hearing does not change over time.

Having said that, most CI users have annual or bi-annual mappings which is still less than the amount of programming, hearing tests, etc. that hearing aid users have. When I used to wear hearing aids, my hearing aid audis required me to have hearing tests every 3 months.

Typically CI hearing does not change over time.

Having said that, most CI users have annual or bi-annual mappings which is still less than the amount of programming, hearing tests, etc. that hearing aid users have. When I used to wear hearing aids, my hearing aid audis required me to have hearing tests every 3 months.

Every three months? wow.

i used to go every 6 months before now they want me to go at least every month or two since my hearing has dropped so much..im hoping every 3 months cuz i hate audiograms and those stupid words if i have to listen to another set of words like hot dog, or baseball, etc after april 1st in the next 3 months ill go bonkers lol

I know. I am saying it badly.

I mean she does tell the risks and non sucess stories too.

I know you are very sincere.

Everyone here has said that benefits can range from a slight increase in enviromental sound awareness to the ability to speak to strangers on a cell phone. Every person is different.

DD,

I don't understand why you think doctors are promoting CIs to everyone who walks in the door because that simply isn't true.

I went to an Audiologist recently hoping to obtain a tactaid7. I was even willing to fund it myself. I just needed an Audiologist to purchase it since they don't sell directly to the public.
Anyway they recomended a CI instead. Since a Tactaid7 is much cheaper, I can't understand why. I don't want a CI because I like being profoundly deaf. The tactaid would just alert me to environmental noise through tactile means.

I went to an Audiologist recently hoping to obtain a tactaid7. I was even willing to fund it myself. I just needed an Audiologist to purchase it since they don't sell directly to the public.
Anyway they recomended a CI instead. Since a Tactaid7 is much cheaper, I can't understand why. I don't want a CI because I like being profoundly deaf. The tactaid would just alert me to environmental noise through tactile means.

An audiologist's job is to help you hear the best you can. That is their job, that is why they recommended a CI. From their perspective, it would help you hear more and that is what they are supposed to do.

I also do talks at my CI centre to potential candiates. My centre puts people of similar deafness (profound deaf since birth, good speech and CI in adulthood) as me in my group.

I have a question... is there anyone on the site that did not benifit from CI. I know one Travis (smithr) he had his removed due to on going headaches but i can't recall anyone else?

Another thing is that when i say that i am CI user some deaf people do get quite negative about it and we haven't done anything wrong, we have nothing against deaf people who believes in strong deaf culture/keeping the deaf community alive... so am I...but they are the ones who pushes us out.

There have been a few others. Pacman, Animal lover and PuyoPiyo all have CI's that they don't wear. I think there are a few others but I can't remember what their user names are.

Back