The hearing and cochlear implant debate! Share your opinion!

Pinky, I know how the process works and etc. I dont want a CI but if my HAs dont work for me later on, maybe I will.

That's good. :)

Yeah, Dreama is right. It's scare. I felt the same way. The blind people do pottery, clay build, artist paint with braille for color texture. I am artist too. I don't want to lose my sight either. Because I'm jewelry making and color beads and polymer clay pendant.

You can still do all of those things if you're blind Pinky.

That's cool. If I become blind and try to cope with it. How about use labels tape with braille on any craft organizes boxes?

When I receive implant. I want to listen the music while i work on jewelry and beads. It will not make me feel boring without music. I can be distract to something stuff easy. I want to focus on my jewelry work while I listen the music.

yes but it's not the same thing. for sighted people - we enjoy the aesthetic aspect in visual way while you enjoy it differently.

That's cool. If I become blind and try to cope with it. How about use labels tape with braille on any craft organizes boxes?

When I receive implant. I want to listen the music while i work on jewelry and beads. It will not make me feel boring without music. I can be distract to something stuff easy. I want to focus on my jewelry work while I listen the music.

You can label the boxes you place your beads in with Braille so you know what color they are. Since you already know what colors mean, you can still make your jewelry as if you could see. You can also identify beads by their shape or texture. (i.e. red is round and smooth, blue is square and rough, etc.)

You mentioned listening to music. I always have music playing in the background when I work on the computer, write, read, cook, etc.

Right now I'm playing my favorite YouTube videos while I read AD. :cool2:

Pinky, if you ever have specific questions about blindness, feel free to send me a PM anytime.

yes but it's not the same thing. for sighted people - we enjoy the aesthetic aspect in visual way while you enjoy it differently.

Why isn't it the same thing Jiro? I can have as much enjoyment beading as someone who can see. Please do not make assumptions about something you do not know. Until you are totally blind, you have no room to comment about how pleasurable a certain hobby is or isn't.

How would you like it if I told you that you couldn't appreciate music as much as I do because I can hear it better than you?

Why isn't it the same thing Jiro? I can have as much enjoyment beading as someone who can see. Please do not make assumptions about something you do not know. Until you are totally blind, you have no room to comment about how pleasurable a certain hobby is or isn't.

How would you like it if I told you that you couldn't appreciate music as much as I do because I can hear it better than you?

exactly - we both do not enjoy music the same way. You just proved my point.

You're misinterpreting again. You cannot tell me how much or little I enjoy something being totally blind just as I cannot tell you how much or little you enjoy music.

You're misinterpreting again. You cannot tell me how much or little I enjoy something being totally blind just as I cannot tell you how much or little you enjoy music.

no..... no...... no......... you are gravely confused. I said you and I experience it DIFFERENTLY, not more or less. Please get it right. We are visual-based while you are audio/tactile-based. We enjoy same thing DIFFERENTLY. Obviously you and I enjoy photography arts differently.

Right now I'm playing my favorite YouTube videos while I read AD. :cool2:
exactly - you just further proved my point. You and I enjoy youtube videos DIFFERENTLY. You enjoy LISTENING to youtube videos while we enjoy WATCHING youtube videos.

no..... no...... no......... you are gravely confused.

I'm afraid not Jiro.

You were the one who equated being able to see with having a higher degree of enjoyment.

Please stop calling me confused. I find that remark to be insulting and condescending.

I'm treating you with respect, so I would appreciate the same in return. Thank you.

exactly - you just further proved my point. You and I enjoy youtube videos DIFFERENTLY. You enjoy LISTENING to youtube videos while we enjoy WATCHING youtube videos.

I beg to differ.

You said that Pinky couldn't enjoy beading as much being totally blind as she could if she were sighted.

Hence my comment about one mode of enjoyment not being better than another.

This is :topic: since it has nothing to do with CIs.

I'm afraid not Jiro.

You were the one who equated being able to see with having a higher degree of enjoyment.

Please stop calling me confused. I find that remark to be insulting and condescending.

I'm treating you with respect, so I would appreciate the same in return. Thank you.

I'm afraid not, Hear Again.... Please do not make assumption out of something that didn't exist. Please point out where in my posts that I equate being able to see with having a higher degree of enjoyment.

I don't know why you're being overly-sensitive about blind subject and I have never said such thing that you cannot enjoy thing as a blind person. I said we experience it and enjoy it DIFFERENTLY.

It is enjoyment all the same. What makes one better than the other?

Why should you have to? No two hearing people enjoy music in the same way. SURPRISE....some hearing people don't enjoy music at all.:cool2:

It is enjoyment all the same. What makes one better than the other?
and where did I exactly say in my post that one is better than other? It's entirely based on individual.

Why should you have to? No two hearing people enjoy music in the same way. SURPRISE....some hearing people don't enjoy music at all.:cool2:
bingo! there you go! You just further proved my point! For example - hearing people who enjoy listening to music - the iPod fanatic. He went deaf and then he opted for CI. It's not the same anymore FOR him. Of course - the CI person (the one who had CI since birth) would not say the same thing because he has nothing to compare with.

I'm an extremely visual person and my life revolves around my eyes while the world revolves around ears for others. If I went blind or nearly blind, that will be very very very devastating for me. I would opt for any kind of surgery that will restore my eyesight. At least I would be able to see but it's not the same anymore because I have something to compare with - my real vision vs. eye implant. :cool2:

I'm an extremely visual person and my life revolves around my eyes while the world revolves around ears for others. If I went blind or nearly blind, that will be very very very devastating for me.

Thank you. Now I understand why you feel blindness is more limiting than deafness.

Back