the energy that a dhh kid expends on listening

Because of lipreading, I missed out on so much in the educational setting and so did several of my friends and kids whom I know. Some managed to keep up but most of them struggled and fell behind.

I can see how tough that might be. Fortunately you found success despite that setback.

Again, I'm talking about being profound/deaf, but having severe, or even a lesser degree of hearing loss. Even with severe loss you could talk right into my ear, unaided, and I would hear AND understand what you said. That's not deaf, and again, not every child born with hearing loss has loss to that degree.

Yes, it's not deaf, but HOH kids STILL struggle with perceiving sound.
They're still at a huge disadvantage with processing speech/ sound. Remember the hard in HARD of hearing

Now that I can agree with, if you're having to rely mostly on speech reading, or relying on it heavily, they need something else, they need ASL, but when you start getting into the lesser degrees of loss, it just isn't AS necessary, seeing the speakers mouth would always be helpful, but not always necessary, at least that was my experience.

It's just DD likes to paint everybody with a broad brush. Kids with profound loss absolutely need ASL and they should never have to rely on speech trading only. Ever. But she was lumping the HoH kids in with the deaf ones, I was just pointing out the difference in that respect. Seriously communication with severe loss wasn't THAT bad, I didn't think so anyway.

*pounds head against wall* Remember the HARD in HOH. I grew up with *only* a moderately severe loss. I am also strangely enough an AURAL learner. But my experiance processing sound and being auditory oral was IDENTICAL as to my friends with more traditional Deaf losses.
Bear in mind that your brain KNOWS how to process sound the way a hearing person's does. It just needs INPUT. For you and Txgolfer that's second nature....But the majority of dhh kids brains have never processed sound the way a hearing person has.
It's easier for a HOH kid to percieve sound yes, but it's not second nature......those of us who are HOH still have to work hard to process sound/speech.

whether or not if HoH kids may have hard time lip-reading is irrelevant. in fact - it's non-issue.

we're talking about kids with all kinds of hearing disability having hard time lip-reading so what are we going to do about them? sit and do nothing because we're assuming their parents are making the best possible decisions for them in their best interests?

there's no reason to jump in here and say - "hey.. I didn't have hard time lip-reading". there's absolutely no reason to do that. it's demeaning and trivializing our hardships. just because you (general you) didn't have hard time lip-reading doesn't mean other kids aren't either.

this is very real and extremely concerning. the fact remains that there are deaf/HoH kids having hard time lip-reading and they should not have to do that in schools.

it should be illegal.

lipreading/processing sound......Yes, HOH kids might not have as much trouble in that area, but it's STILL very hard as they never heard or processed sound normally....make sense? It's easier for them, then for deafer kids........but that doesn't mean it's second nature or even easy for them.

It's the first thing the teach salespeople in seminars. Discussing negatives...even the negatives of the opposition puts the client in a negative frame of mind... Hard to sell like that.

Thats just how you pich it. Instead of saying if you dont do such and such they will get tired and fall behind. Youd say teach them these skills and they will have tons of energy for learning! I worked in marketing, i know all the tricks. I still don't see avoiding the issue as a good idea.

answering questions with questions is unproductive is all i can say

Thats just how you pich it. Instead of saying if you dont do such and such they will get tired and fall behind. Youd say teach them these skills and they will have tons of energy for learning! I worked in marketing, i know all the tricks. I still don't see avoiding the issue as a good idea.

That is a little better. Some might buy it if it is presented in that way. Personally this argument wouldn't sway me. But it might some.

Wirelessly posted

So familiar it's not funny. People most often than not labelled me as 'slow' and not aware of my surroundings. I have to work 2-3 times harder than everyone else to be alert and aware to keep on top and one step ahead.

Wirelessly posted

Jiro said:
Again, I'm talking about being profound/deaf, but having severe, or even a lesser degree of hearing loss. Even with severe loss you could talk right into my ear, unaided, and I would hear AND understand what you said. That's not deaf, and again, not every child born with hearing loss has loss to that degree.

deaf. profound/deaf. severe loss. same thing - it's hardship. pretty much majority of child born with any form of hearing loss has experienced communication hardship because of a failed model that hearing people thought it should have worked.

Thank you Jiro!

Wirelessly posted

So familiar it's not funny. People most often than not labelled me as 'slow' and not aware of my surroundings. I have to work 2-3 times harder than everyone else to be alert and aware to keep on top and one step ahead.

And with sign language, we don't have to suffer like that. It is common sense to put deaf/hoh children in educational settings where the content or new skills are taught using sign language.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Wirelessly posted

And with sign language, we don't have to suffer like that. It is common sense to put deaf/hoh children in educational settings where the content or new skills are taught using sign language.

Amen to that.

Back