The Deaf Diaries Blog

TheHalfWayMan

Reaction score
Hi All,

A major aspect of the Meeting Half Way campaign is Deaf Awareness.

As part of this aspect, we're thinking about putting together a Deaf community powered blog in which Deaf people can blog about notable incidents in their interaction with hearing organisations in a diary format.

So, for example, you might have got on a train platform waiting for your train. Then an announcement was made that the platform was changed and you got on the wrong train, only realising when the train reached the next stop.

Or, on a more positive note, you went to a retailer and asked a question by writing it down on a paper and, to your surprise, the member of staff began to converse with you in sign language.

The idea is to help hearing people & hearing organisations take a look into the life of Deaf people and the challenges which they face and for them to also realise that they play a major role in making or breaking those challenges.

What do you guys think? Would you be willing to take part and write about incidents like those when they happen? Any suggestions for a name? How does "The Deaf Diaries" sound? Any other ideas?

I think it would be a good idea. I can't think of what a good name would be though. Keep thinking of different ones and post them, when you get the right one I am sure some of us will chime in and tell ya. We do post our good and bad things on here and discuss them with other Aders but it wouldn't hurt just to write it as an experience in a blog like platform so we can kind of keep a better & more accurate record of it so companies like yours can find ways to help with the bad problems. I know of one problem us deafies sometimes runs across, people will say that we are death not deaf, I know on utube.com I was looking through some videos made about Helen Keller and this one director or whatever they wanted to call themselves put that she was born death and blind and mute. there was another video that she became death when she was young due to illness. silly things like that. Just look through previous posts on here and do a search of different words and see what you get on here.:wiggle:

Excellent! Thanks for your response. Having not received any response, I thought that maybe you guys were offended by my idea.

On the website, we plan on putting together lists of dos and don'ts of communicating with Deaf people. I've seen a few threads here on AD which discuss these and I will sum the up, remove duplicates and publicise them in list form.

With regards to the blog concept, I think its essential in meeting the primary goal of the Meeting Half Way campaign which is to give hearing people a direct look into the lives of Deaf people so that we can see that it is us (hearing people) who are responsible for most of the challenges faced by Deaf people.

Along the way, once things gain momentum, I'd like to put together a couple of short movies so that Hearing people can have a direct look into recreated realities and then use them to bring the attention of other Hearing people.

steph9700... 2 questions:

1. Would you be willing to participate?
2. Does "The Deaf Diaries" sound bad or offensive and can you suggest anything better?

Many thanks.

a little off topic

Excellent! Thanks for your response. Having not received any response, I thought that maybe you guys were offended by my idea.

On the website, we plan on putting together lists of dos and don'ts of communicating with Deaf people. I've seen a few threads here on AD which discuss these and I will sum the up, remove duplicates and publicise them in list form.

With regards to the blog concept, I think its essential in meeting the primary goal of the Meeting Half Way campaign which is to give hearing people a direct look into the lives of Deaf people so that we can see that it is us (hearing people) who are responsible for most of the challenges faced by Deaf people.

Along the way, once things gain momentum, I'd like to put together a couple of short movies so that Hearing people can have a direct look into recreated realities and then use them to bring the attention of other Hearing people.

2. Does "The Deaf Diaries" sound bad or offensive and can you suggest anything better?

Many thanks.

Hi there halfway man. I am glad that you are back today. I, too, am hearing and new to this site. I still feel really shy and I put my foot, (or hands) in my mouth a lot. I am working towards my degree in interpreting and advocating for the Deaf. I have learned so much in school about the oppression of the Deaf. They have been through hell and they just keep on truckin. You will find, in only a short time, that you have a great treasure in the Deaf community. There is so much talent tenacity and love in this community, and they are so open and blunt, that you will never want to let go of your ties to the Deaf. At least that has been my experience.

I am actually writing this because I want to commend you on your ideas to educate people about Deaf issues. I am also trying to do that in my own corner of the world. Hearing people are amazed when I share stories with them about Deaf history. They get very outraged at the unfairness of it all. Of course, the more rich and powerful people are, the more callous they seem to be about anybody's issues but their own. They are the type that like to prey on the Deaf community, and I get pretty passionate about that. But overall, I have found that most hearies are eager to learn about Deaf culture and they actually do care about stuff when they are informed.

There are many good books about Deaf history that will amaze you. I think you will enjoy them all, but there is a really good book that you might want to read. It is short, and I am sure that you would fly through it. It is called, "Triumph of the Spirit." It will give you a bit of an insight to the underlying stuggles that still face the Deaf community. If that book doesn't make you want to embrace the Deaf, then I don't know what will. That book is the story of the beginning of victory for the Deaf, it is by no means the end of the story. Deaf rights are being trampled on all the time, STILL. At one time, ASL was thrown out of the Deaf schools and the children were disciplined if they got caught signing. The teachers actually tied the kid's hands to keep them from communicating. Hearing people tried to keep Deafies from marrying Deafies because they thought it would eradicate deafness, they even wanted to sterilize them. It is a sick and tragic story.

Even though things are not that bad now, the Deaf schools are still controlled by hearing administrators who don't represent their wishes or their needs. They still struggle to gain access to communication in the work place and in education and hospitals and courts etc. Sometimes a court case can be post poned over and over again for months because the lack of qualified interpreters. Even certified interpreters can suck because it is just a job to them. But then, there are some great interpreters that love the Deaf community and give everything in them to try to serve them. There are also education courses that are cancelled indefinitely because a lack of interpreting services. I guess what I am trying to say is that everyday life can be a huge stuggle, but Deaf people want no part of pity. They just want to be understood and loved for who they are, and they want equality in the workplace and a fair chance in education. They want a chance to reach their full potential, and I think that is what everyone wants.

My friends, thee stories need to be told because hearies live under a veil of ignorance. hearies assume that all is well in the Deaf world just because they rarely make the news. So, if you are helping to educate the hearies about Deaf culture, then I totally support you and I will keep you in my prayers. Let your forum be their forum, unedited. Let them put the movies together, and you distribute them. If you can get rid of even one brick of ignorance, then we are one step closer to tearing down the wall. I am thankful to have you on our side. Thanks and good luck with your new website. And congratulations, you have entered a new and wonderful world that will help you to grow as person. See ya around,,, look forward to reading your posts. :):) OH, one other suggestion. Start to learn some sign language. You can visit some free websites that cover some basic sign, and gramar, and Deaf culture. One is ASL University.com Bill Vicars... One is ASL pro... Sign video. ASL University is more comprehensive with lessons on grammar and sentence structure. The other has a bigger dictionary and animated videos. I think you will be amazed, and I know you will come to love your new Deaf friends. Whatever fate brought you here,,,, was a good thing. :) Good night for now.... Jeanie ... still chasing the dream of a better tomorrow for EVERYBODY.

Dreamchaser... thanks for your comments. steph9700 emailed me some sites on ASL and I practiced a bit with words like mother, father, boy & girl. Amazing stuff! I also watched a video on Back by Popular Demand! - Rathskellar.com and I wished I knew what they were saying.

You've quite accurately understood my goals in this campaign and I hope that the Deaf community will be able to support me.

Thanks again.

Sure, just ask and if I can help I will be glad to.
2. Does "The Deaf Diaries" sound bad or offensive and can you suggest anything better?I don't know honestly if it sounds okay or not to be honest, I am still thinking it out. I don't think it sounds bad or offensive, but I can't quite put my finger on it exactly. Maybe something a little more catchier? Got to think on it.

Many thanks.

no problem, you can go to my member page and get my email if you want to do that as well.

Dreamchaser... thanks for your comments. steph9700 emailed me some sites on ASL and I practiced a bit with words like mother, father, boy & girl. Amazing stuff! I also watched a video on Back by Popular Demand! - Rathskellar.com and I wished I knew what they were saying.

You've quite accurately understood my goals in this campaign and I hope that the Deaf community will be able to support me.

Thanks again.

Hey again,, :) I think that I forgot to mention that I am more than willing to help you in any way I can. I haven't a clue what I can do, but if you are ever in need, maybe I can help you brain storm. I am on the West Coast in Oregon, and if you want a place to distribut a video or something (when it gets made) I would be happy to put make the ASL students etc aware of it and get it distributed. It would be a great teaching tool for ASL students to have a Deaf forum to read that actually addresses everyday life and problems in the Deaf community. Many ASL students start out just trying to fill their pre-requs in a foreign language, but once they are introduced to the Deaf community, they fall in love and change their major. Anyway, I am excited for you and hoping to see a masterpiece of knowledge produced... They don't call me dreamchaser for nuttin..... Later :) Jeanie

Thanks Dreamchaser.

I'm in the process of setting up the campaign's blog. You can then use the blog to track the campaign's progress. We can then figure out a way of collaborating and getting other people to collaborate too.

I'll keep you updated as things happen.

Another name idea... "Silent Stories"

What do you think? Any other ideas?

I like that better than Deaf Diaries. Do remember though, that many HOH people affiliate to the Deaf community,,, and they are not silent. But I like the way it sounds. I will be interested to see what our friends here think of it. FYI, you probably already know this, but captal D in deaf denotes the tie to Deaf culture. Some folks are deaf and raised orally and don't associate to Deaf culture, they get the little d, and it also just denotes pathological deafness. It is kind of like a title to a group when it is capitalized. It is so sad for those who were raised orally and not allowed to fellowship with the Deaf community. You might do a google about oralism, and read the posts about AGBELL.

So, I hope you are having a rockin day. Please do keep me posted. I guess my email is not functioning on this site. It says I have blocked it, but I don't know how I did that. But,, I am excited about this, and I hope your endevor works.

Another name idea... "Silent Stories"

What do you think? Any other ideas?

"SIGN Stories"? maybe not, maybe will be taken like road signs or something or make them think it more for sign language only, I don't know just throwing it out there......

Silent and the Hearing World? The Silent Diaries? Triumph of the Deaf? :dunno2: I'm just throwing some idea

How about, "Hearing Aids and Handcuffs"? Hahaha, J/k, y'all!

How about "Silent Stories in a Hearing World". By that, I mean that the stories are silent for the Deaf people involved, although the world is predominantly hearing.

On a website, though, that would be too long a title for a specific section and would have to be abbreviated to "Silent Stories".

Thank for your input guys. I need as much of it as possible.

Count me in. I am too brain dead from work and other stuff to be creative right now. Give me time to think on this one. :)

How about "Silent Life" or "Life in the Silence"?

My preference, so far, is "Life in the Silence" as that most accurately describes it for a hearing person. Admittedly, its only profoundly deaf people who live in complete silence, but that title conveys the purpose of the blog quite well (in my opinion).

Any opinions or other ideas?

Back