The Claim: Never blow your nose when you have a cold...

The proper method is to blow one nostril at a time and to take decongestants, said Dr. Anil Kumar Lalwani, chairman of the department of otolaryngology at the New York University Langone Medical Center. This prevents a buildup of excess pressure.

I always blow one nostril at a time.

I notice that if I blow my nose, it makes me more stuffy so I dont do it.

I notice that if I blow my nose, it makes me more stuffy so I dont do it.

When you blow out of both nostrils at once, it won't do anything but stuff up your sinuses even more.

When you blow out of both nostrils at once, it won't do anything but stuff up your sinuses even more.

That's why I stopped blowing my nose in decades whenever I get a cold. I hate the stuffiness afterwards..

That's why I stopped blowing my nose in decades whenever I get a cold. I hate the stuffiness afterwards..

Hmm, I just blow it out of one nostril at a time and after that, I feel much better.

Hmm, I just blow it out of one nostril at a time and after that, I feel much better.

I did that...doesnt work for me. Learned the best thing is to do is turn the humifier on and just chill out with it. :lol:

I always blow one nostril at a time.

Shel90 and Banjo, I did try to blow one nostril at a time but it didn't work for me because I had the polyps removed (in 1989) and again two years ago. (I know that the polyps can re-grow again and again. I hate that. Grrrrrr... And also, I am worried about sneezing, which is hardest part for me. I went thru. It was painful. Luckily, no bleeding. The ENT taught me how to sneeze this or that before my surgery.) I guess it had to do with the muscle damages or something like that. I don't know. Of course, I told the ENT about this past year and he said he will have a look at it. I have an appointment with him in May for a check-up.

I did that...doesnt work for me. Learned the best thing is to do is turn the humifier on and just chill out with it. :lol:

Yeah, good idea to have the humidifier in the house. I prefer it is in my bedroom where I sleep. :)

This may sound TMI to you guys, ok?

It does help to blow your nose with your hands in the hot shower and of course, wash your hands in the shower, too!

It's because the hot steam in the shower loosens up the mucus.

Don't worry.. I do it! All the time and my hands are always clean!

This may sound TMI to you guys, ok?

It does help to blow your nose with your hands in the hot shower and of course, wash your hands in the shower, too!

It's because the hot steam in the shower loosens up the mucus.

Don't worry.. I do it! All the time and my hands are always clean!

It's not TMI at all. :)

I do that too whenever I'm in the shower. You're absolutely right - the hot steam will loosen up the mucus thus making you being able to repel it easier.

Also another thing is - You can boil a pot of water and when it is at full boil, you can take the pot off the stove and put a towel across your head with your face front of the pot to let the steam come in. It's a cheaper way to do it but it comes in handy. Of course, To do it - It's got to be in a safe environment.

It's not TMI at all. :)

I do that too whenever I'm in the shower. You're absolutely right - the hot steam will loosen up the mucus thus making you being able to repel it easier.

Also another thing is - You can boil a pot of water and when it is at full boil, you can take the pot off the stove and put a towel across your head with your face front of the pot to let the steam come in. It's a cheaper way to do it but it comes in handy. Of course, To do it - It's got to be in a safe environment.

Yes, that's another method to use as well Jolie. I don't think Mrs. Bucket is TMI , I have done that as well in the shower when I am sooo stuffy nose a must to let it loose it works like a charm, good breathing afterwards :)

nah about TMI
as it is good way to do in shower :) and use Vapor (humidifier) in the bedroom when have cold.

I blow my nose in the shower also.

I also do sinus rinse right after a hot bath or shower. I have horrible allergies. Nose blowing don't always do the trick. Even one nostril at a time. I also take a decongestant/antihistamine daily.

Back