The CI for children issue (My POV)

FJ is right...literacy is the best tool a deaf child will ever get.

No, I didn't. I was very clear that I thought language and literacy were the two most important things for a deaf child. You didn't accept that answer.

Then why ask for the instructions if you didn't want them? It would appear that you are the one playing games.:cool2:

Then why ask for the instructions if you didn't want them? It would appear that you are the one playing games.:cool2:

I said I was clear, and you didn't accept that. You are looking for a fight, and I am ignoring you. I told you exactly what I thought the first time.

It begs the question, whose literacy? ;)

Indeed. Which is why the instructions regarding an operational definition. Likewise, literacy can be, and is, considered to be a skill. The tool would be what is used in the teaching of the skill.

Then pray tell, how can we "give" it, as you propose?

Make sure that they have a language base on which to build literacy skills, make sure they have appropriate educational opportunities, and follow up. Read to them, have them read to you.

If you have a problem with my word choice, address it directly, or better yet, ignore it. There is no need for sly remarks. If you can't have an adult conversation with people who have different views, and discuss CONTENT, instead of word choice, none of use are going to get anywhere.

Literacy isn't confined to reading and writing. In an educational context, literacy is considered broadly. Literacy may be expanded to include multiple intelligences and incorporate different learning styles.

Learnng Styles take your test.

Math literacy is poor in the U.S. I don't mean arithmetic. Many people do not understand basic mathematical concepts. The lack of math literacy limits options and career paths. Math literacy is at least as important as verbal literacy. Technical literacy is also crucial today.

Make sure that they have a language base on which to build literacy skills, make sure they have appropriate educational opportunities, and follow up. Read to them, have them read to you.

If you have a problem with my word choice, address it directly, or better yet, ignore it. There is no need for sly remarks. If you can't have an adult conversation with people who have different views, and discuss CONTENT, instead of word choice, none of use are going to get anywhere.

Well then, they would "own" skill then, wouldn't they?

I am simply attempting to gain clarifications for your double speak.

Literacy isn't confined to reading and writing. In an educational context, literacy is considered broadly. Literacy may be expanded to include multiple intelligences and incorporate different learning styles.

Learnng Styles take your test.

Math literacy is poor in the U.S. I don't mean arithmetic. Many people do not understand basic mathematical concepts. The lack of math literacy limits options and career paths. Math literacy is at least as important as verbal literacy. Technical literacy is also crucial today.

Bingo. Ability to read the word is the smallest portion of the skill we know as literacy. Ability to apply it in creative and unique ways is the bulk of the skill.

Well then, they would "own" skill then, wouldn't they?

I am simply attempting to gain clarifications for your double speak.

What on earth is not clear about saying I think that language and literacy are the most important things for deaf kids??

Shel, can you help me out here? I think I am being more than clear....

What on earth is not clear about saying I think that language and literacy are the most important things for deaf kids??

Shel, can you help me out here? I think I am being more than clear....

It is not clear how you define language and/ or literacy. First you describe it as a tool, then you describe it as a skill. You have not told us what makes an individual literate. First you say a person does not own literacy, then you suggest it be given to them. You are contradicting yourself at every turn.

I've always thought that it is interesting that the music majors do so well in law school. I can't my kids interested in music. They are born engineers, like my husband.

It is not clear how you define language and/ or literacy. First you describe it as a tool, then you describe it as a skill. You have not told us what makes an individual literate. First you say a person does not own literacy, then you suggest it be given to them. You are contradicting yourself at every turn.

No, you are attempting to pick apart my posts based on word choice rather than the ideas expressed in them.

I've always thought that it is interesting that the music majors do so well in law school. I can't my kids interested in music. They are born engineers, like my husband.

It is very interesting. It is the abstract nature of thought involved in both. Now that is a huge part of literacy.

And music majors are very disciplined and goal oriented (toward a performance). Same skills required for law school.

Back on topic, the most important thing a kid can learn is how to think. Question, hypothesize, debate, expand, etc. Even preschoolers can explain what the best part of the day was and learn basic logic skills. If you drill the kids and take the joy out of learning you will have burned out 4th graders.

No, you are attempting to pick apart my posts based on word choice rather than the ideas expressed in them.

Your word choices are making your ideas uninterpretable. We have yet to discover what idea it is that you are attempting to portray. That is why we are asking for clarification.

Back on topic, the most important thing a kid can learn is how to think. Question, hypothesize, debate, expand, etc. Even preschoolers can explain what the best part of the day was and learn basic logic skills. If you drill the kids and take the joy out of learning you will have burned out 4th graders.

I completely agree.

Back