The Change

Krissy

Reaction score
I'm so used to reading lips I seem to not be able to concentrate on signs. I'm trying to learn BSL using online resources at the minute and I've noticed I just keep focussing on the signers lips to lipread the words, which isn't helping in the slightest, especially considering the structure of sentences is different. I don't know how to block off looking at their lips and focus on their hands >< is there anyone that could give me some tips?
I'd try to cover up their lips or something but I need to see what facial expressions go with the signs etc.

I'm so used to reading lips I seem to not be able to concentrate on signs. I'm trying to learn BSL using online resources at the minute and I've noticed I just keep focussing on the signers lips to lipread the words, which isn't helping in the slightest, especially considering the structure of sentences is different. I don't know how to block off looking at their lips and focus on their hands >< is there anyone that could give me some tips?
I'd try to cover up their lips or something but I need to see what facial expressions go with the signs etc.

You need to meet up with some real deaf people, they sometimes mouth the words but often don't. You then have to read the signs! :D

You need to meet up with some real deaf people, they sometimes mouth the words but often don't. You then have to read the signs! :D

When I first started signing I'd mouthe words but I've noticed most don't so I don't know whether I should either, or just mouthe one or two words rather than everything lol I just feel asif I keep trying to lipread a deaf person while they're signing I'll never learn the signs ><

When I first started signing I'd mouthe words but I've noticed most don't so I don't know whether I should either, or just mouthe one or two words rather than everything lol I just feel asif I keep trying to lipread a deaf person while they're signing I'll never learn the signs ><

Don't worry about it too much. Some deaf do mouth most words, some deaf don't mouth at all and some deaf mouth some words. All is different, you do what you feel comfortable when you sign.

When you watch someone sign, instead of trying focus on one area (lips or hands), try look whole area of head to waist cos you will see lip movements, head movements, hands, upper body movements and facial expression.

Don't worry about it too much. Some deaf do mouth most words, some deaf don't mouth at all and some deaf mouth some words. All is different, you do what you feel comfortable when you sign.

When you watch someone sign, instead of trying focus on one area (lips or hands), try look whole area of head to waist cos you will see lip movements, head movements, hands, upper body movements and facial expression.
I think it's probably easier to just mouthe certain words to get the point accross properly because the sentence structure is different, so I'll stick to that

And I'll try :) thank you

I read the title of this thread and thought it was about menopause :laugh2:.

***OMG, do deaf women get menopause too?*** :giggle:

sometimes pretty you more worth communication to BSL and social network more focus on help@ you learn it on more BSL?

Back