Thanksgiving dinner - what to serve?

Looks like I am doing dinner again this year. Just hoping MIL won't complain again.

We are having Turkey (hate cooking it), stuffing (I don't like, hubby can't have), mashed potatoes (I don't like, hubby can't have), green beans, baked sweet potatoes and my mother's cranberry/fruit/jello salad.

We will be having thanksgiving at grandma's like every year... we will be having:

Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Green beans
Gravy
Cranberry sauce
Spaghetti squash
Yams in brownsugar-butter sauce
Butternut squash
Acorn squash
Garlic herbed knots
Pumpkin pie
Banana cream pie
Pecan pie
Apple pie
Apple cranberry pie
Sweet potato pie
And moreeee... my family loves to eat a lot.

What are Garlic herbed knots , are they like a roll ? I love garlic!

I have had salad made with turkey, cranberry, and apples. I was thinking it could be done as a pizza, but I am not sure what the sauce would be.

Edited to say, I just realized I must have put a comma where it didn't belong.

I meant the turkey pizza, with a bit of cranberries for accent.

The cranberry could be the 'sauce' or how about the gravy ?

For me, it varies every year... but a few things do come every year...

- turkey (roasted, fried, etc)
- ham
- mashed potatoes
- baked potatoes
- stuffing
- corn

:)

Abt the same as every1, except diff drinks this time will have a nice warm apple cider added w/ cinnamon stick after dessert or refreshment.

Daughter's house! Whoooot! (bet she backs out though...)

:wave:my folks and hubby like a "traditional" Thanksgiving meal with lots of leftovers...I do like leftovers too but I wouldn't mind trying something different.
But I ordered a local, free-range turkey and am bringing over a salad to parents house; mom makes this stuffing hubby loves. And sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, a cooked vegetable. There's the vegan cranberry/strawberry pie that my local co-op makes that I often get to take over for the dessert. My family likes to have ice cream with it.
Am glad to spend time with my family but don't eat a lot of the food.

I so do not want to do dinner for T'Day.

We found out my husband is going to work that day. Also Burger King is open. So we are just going to take any family members who want to go to to lunch..

At least it is easy. :lol:

We found out my husband is going to work that day. Also Burger King is open. So we are just going to take any family members who want to go to to lunch..

At least it is easy. :lol:

Wish I could go that easy, but MIL is determined that I cook. Ah well.

Why? Is it just for the three of you?

Many grocery stores have pre-cooked turkey breast, and sides of sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, dressing, cranberry sauce, all the trimmings. Could you just pick up what you need and make a dinner that way?

Cooking a big meal like that is exhausting. In my opinion, it's just not worth it if you're already tired. You can have just as nice a dinner, and probably at roughly the same cost, by buying things pre-made.

I figured this out one Christmas when my husband and I had to go there to take care of his elderly father. We didn't have the time or the energy for me to cook (nor was his dad's kitchen set up with what I would have wanted). I went to the grocery store, and hey, presto, there's everything we needed. Bought and done.

It was a lovely dinner. Made me wonder why I'd been knocking myself out to prepare everything myself most years.

Why? Is it just for the three of you?

Many grocery stores have pre-cooked turkey breast, and sides of sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, dressing, cranberry sauce, all the trimmings. Could you just pick up what you need and make a dinner that way?

Cooking a big meal like that is exhausting. In my opinion, it's just not worth it if you're already tired. You can have just as nice a dinner, and probably at roughly the same cost, by buying things pre-made.

I figured this out one Christmas when my husband and I had to go there to take care of his elderly father. We didn't have the time or the energy for me to cook (nor was his dad's kitchen set up with what I would have wanted). I went to the grocery store, and hey, presto, there's everything we needed. Bought and done.

It was a lovely dinner. Made me wonder why I'd been knocking myself out to prepare everything myself most years.

You have to put in your order really soon if you want do that.

We all agreed to go out for dinner...I wanted to cook and had planned to do so, but the surgery was a set back. So it's off to the Golden Corral, a buffet where we can pick and choose and pig out, which is good for my teenage boys. If I don't feel well enuf, then they will bring me something back.

For us, it's 6 at home and with all the dietary concerns, we can't go out. All the restaurants we called, said they could not accommodate us so I get to cook. I plan on resting for the 2 days prior and doing a lot of cooking ahead of time.

We all agreed to go out for dinner...I wanted to cook and had planned to do so, but the surgery was a set back. So it's off to the Golden Corral, a buffet where we can pick and choose and pig out, which is good for my teenage boys. If I don't feel well enuf, then they will bring me something back.

I was told at a Chinese food buffet I could not bring any food home when I asked. The waitress watched me the whole time I was there! I never when back!

I ordered all of the side dishes from an upscale grocery store. I'm going to make a fruit platter with only fruit the kids like. I can handle this. lol

Back