Thank You! Please Come Back Again!

What the hell are you talking about?:crazy: That is a common expression used to describe the "American Dream". It is a socially created attitude.
yes I'm asking you "who" did the brainwashing. Something's gotta start somewhere.

And many, many people buy into it. You included.
me? but we live in condo for same reason as this lady. minimalist style.

My 11 year old neice shows the tendency, too. Had this convo with her not long ago:

"This shirt is too small. Let's put it in the "donate" pile.

But it's my favorite shirt.

I know. But you can't wear it; it is too small for you.

But can't I keep it?

What for?

Because it is my favorite!

But now it's time to get you another shirt that will become your favorite. Time to let this one go to another little girl so it can become her favorite. She will love it just as much as you do. A favorite shirt should be worn, not stuck in a box somewhere.

(Reluctantly) Okay.

Now how about all these Duplo blocks?

No! I like to play with them.

How long has it been since you played with Duplo blocks? You are 11 years old. I haven't seen you touch them for at least 3 years.

But I might want to play with them sometime.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You get the picture! But I have to admit, I have the problem of doing the same thing with books. I have to force myself to get rid of some from time to time.
I'm like that with my stuffed animals and my books. :P :lol:

yes I'm asking you "who" did the brainwashing. Something's gotta start somewhere.

me? but we live in condo for same reason as this lady. minimalist style.

SOCIETY jiro. I already told you.

Don't you own that condo? You aren't living the same as this woman at all. :roll:

You seem to having a problem making inappropriate comparisons today.

I'm like that with my stuffed animals and my books. :P :lol:

Oh, yeah! She has the stuffed animal thing going on, too!:lol: I give her a break on those, though, because she does use them for comfort, and she has not learned to comfort herself very well, thanks to some poor maternal parenting.

Don't you own that condo? You aren't living the same as this woman at all. :roll:
Where do you think where she got her chair brought up from?

and no I don't own a condo. I live in a much more spartan condition than her.

Where do you think where she got her chair brought up from?

and no I don't own a condo. I live in a much more spartan condition than her.

Oh, that's right. Your mom owns the condo.

One chair? Come on Jiro.:laugh2:

My biggest obsession - buying yarn. I suffer from SABLE - Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy. :lol:

Oh, that's right. Your mom owns the condo.

One chair? Come on Jiro.:laugh2:

yes. she owned a condo too in Florida with her husband. because of her government work, she lives at Towne Place Suites.

My 11 year old neice shows the tendency, too. Had this convo with her not long ago:

"This shirt is too small. Let's put it in the "donate" pile.

But it's my favorite shirt.

I know. But you can't wear it; it is too small for you.

But can't I keep it?

What for?

Because it is my favorite!

But now it's time to get you another shirt that will become your favorite. Time to let this one go to another little girl so it can become her favorite. She will love it just as much as you do. A favorite shirt should be worn, not stuck in a box somewhere.

(Reluctantly) Okay.

Now how about all these Duplo blocks?

No! I like to play with them.

How long has it been since you played with Duplo blocks? You are 11 years old. I haven't seen you touch them for at least 3 years.

But I might want to play with them sometime.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You get the picture! But I have to admit, I have the problem of doing the same thing with books. I have to force myself to get rid of some from time to time.

What a nightmare!

I don't know what I would do without my Converse, eyeglasses, and collection of toy vehicles from childhood!

Maybe I could give up my old earmolds collection though. :hmm:

still have an angel collection from childhood and beyond. I also have a doll and all of her clothes that actually was from my mother's childhood and I have some of my stuffed animals. We still have 2 of my old Barbie dolls and all the clothes my mother made. I have a cast iron toy stove and all pieces as well from childhood as well as a lot of my clothes.

What's so inspiring is that she started her professional career at the age of 50 and worked for over two decades. Now, that's what America needs to be... don't think about retirement otherwise it'll show you to an early grave.

What's so inspiring is that she started her professional career at the age of 50 and worked for over two decades. Now, that's what America needs to be... don't think about retirement otherwise it'll show you to an early grave.

Yep! I latched on to that, as well.

My biggest obsession - buying yarn. I suffer from SABLE - Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy. :lol:

I bought some hand spun and dyed wool from a local shoppe when I was in Vermont, and then got home, started to put it away, and thought, "What the hell did I do that for?":giggle: I guess I probably could be considered a hoarder of books and yarn.:hmm:

Have you ever used Feza Alp Premier or Oriental yarn? My God, that is beautiful stuff. Makes fabulous knit scarves. It's $48 - $58 or so per skein (one skein will make a scarf). I make one or two projects a year from it. Absolutely gorgeous.

Um, not that I want to contribute to anyone's yarn hoarding - but here's a site with pics of the yarn:

FEZA YARN ALP PREMIER

Page showing scarf:

http://heavenlyhuesyarn.com/grumpy-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1.aspx

Have you ever used Feza Alp Premier or Oriental yarn? My God, that is beautiful stuff. Makes fabulous knit scarves. It's $48 - $58 or so per skein (one skein will make a scarf). I make one or two projects a year from it. Absolutely gorgeous.

Um, not that I want to contribute to anyone's yarn hoarding - but here's a site with pics of the yarn:

FEZA YARN ALP PREMIER

Cherry Lime Sherbet! That's would make a cool hat.

I am like that with books but I am making an effort of reading fictions and then give them away. I keep non-fiction books depending on the subject. Also I am trying to use electric books instead so there is less chance of books piling up around here. I want a Kindle so I can borrow the library books easily.

I discovered that Big Lots do sell new DVDs real cheap. I found "Children of Lesser God" for 3 bucks!! It looks like I am buying some DVDs now and then because I have no TV cable/antenna.

FEZA YARN ALP PREMIER

Page showing scarf:

#023 Several Peacock Feathers

I have used Oriental, but not the Feza. It looks wonderful. I see more yarn coming into the house. **sigh**

I am like that with books but I am making an effort of reading fictions and then give them away. I keep non-fiction books depending on the subject. Also I am trying to use electric books instead so there is less chance of books piling up around here. I want a Kindle so I can borrow the library books easily.

I discovered that Big Lots do sell new DVDs real cheap. I found "Children of Lesser God" for 3 bucks!! It looks like I am buying some DVDs now and then because I have no TV cable/antenna.

That is why I finally bought my Kindle. Trying to cut down on the number of books I have. Like you, I can get rid of the fiction a whole lot easier than the non-fiction. Always justify it with maybe needing it for reference sometime.:giggle:

The bad thing about the Kindle...I have bought probably 5 or 6 books that I wouldn't have in paper because I could justify it by the fact that they were digital and not taking up space. Can you hoard on Kindle? LOL

That is why I finally bought my Kindle. Trying to cut down on the number of books I have. Like you, I can get rid of the fiction a whole lot easier than the non-fiction. Always justify it with maybe needing it for reference sometime.:giggle:

public library. my best friend.

Back