Thank You! Please Come Back Again!

Well this thread just gave me an idea. My dad has berated me yet again and I'm still waiting on an apartment to become available to rent where I have applied for income-based housing. Why not just load up our necessary shit and go live in a hotel in Russellville for a while.

Only problem with that is it's bloody expensive. Around $60-70/night. I feel like smacking my head on a brick wall.

Ever thought of checking craigslist and see if there is a room available for rent in someone's house? Might be cheap enough and find a female landlord to rent from?

Just a thought.

Thanks for the tips! I will check out the vest.

In what was probably a "duh..." moment, I found the very best pictures of the yarn on the manufacturer's own site. fezayarns.com

If you go to that site, click on "yarns," look at "Alp Premier," the ones I am working with right now are no. 24 for myself (deep purples with lilac, lavender, and pale pink), and 421 for my sister (olive greens, with copper, bronze, and cream - this is the one the yarn store owner said they could barely keep in stock.) I'm doing both scarves in the "Arrowhead" pattern.

"Alp Light" is almost the same as "Alp Premier" but without the ribbon segment.

I made a scarf for myself last year from "Alp Oriental" no. 6, black and white with strands of silver, purple, and pale pink. Stunningly gorgeous, and the pattern was just simple garter stitch lengthwise, repeated for 6 rows, something like that.

I have to admit that home ownership is definitely a lot of work and it is not as freeing. Sometimes, I wish I could go back to living in a nice apt and not worry about paying for things breaking and all that.

Then, again home ownership can be fun as well..can do whatever I want to the house without any worries.

My mom said after almost 40 years of home ownership, she is ready to go back to renting and not worry about the repairs when she retires. I think I may do the same when I retire.

That hardly cuts down on the amount of paper.:roll: Looks like you are totally missing the point.

at least I didn't take advantage of dozen of Chinese kids to manufacture a Kindle for me :lol:

at least I didn't take advantage of dozen of Chinese kids to manufacture a Kindle for me :lol:

So, what to do?

Continue with the deforestation of rain forests or continue with child labor?

Which one is easier to solve? Maybe no more Kindle and no more paper-based books?

In what was probably a "duh..." moment, I found the very best pictures of the yarn on the manufacturer's own site. fezayarns.com

If you go to that site, click on "yarns," look at "Alp Premier," the ones I am working with right now are no. 24 for myself (deep purples with lilac, lavender, and pale pink), and 421 for my sister (olive greens, with copper, bronze, and cream - this is the one the yarn store owner said they could barely keep in stock.) I'm doing both scarves in the "Arrowhead" pattern.

"Alp Light" is almost the same as "Alp Premier" but without the ribbon segment.

I made a scarf for myself last year from "Alp Oriental" no. 6, black and white with strands of silver, purple, and pale pink. Stunningly gorgeous, and the pattern was just simple garter stitch lengthwise, repeated for 6 rows, something like that.

The one you are working with for yourself is GORGEOUS! I love the purples, but I have to be careful with pink around my face. Gives my skin an unsightly blue tone.:giggle:

I think I like the ribbon segment; adds texture and interest.

I have to admit that home ownership is definitely a lot of work and it is not as freeing. Sometimes, I wish I could go back to living in a nice apt and not worry about paying for things breaking and all that.

Then, again home ownership can be fun as well..can do whatever I want to the house without any worries.

My mom said after almost 40 years of home ownership, she is ready to go back to renting and not worry about the repairs when she retires. I think I may do the same when I retire.

I agree; there's a time and place to be a home-owner, and a time when renting makes more sense. For anyone interested, here is the site for the Town Suites where she lived:

TownePlace Suites Falls Church VA hotel | extended stay Falls Church hotel | Falls Church Virginia hotel

Perfectly livable sort of place, more of an "efficiency apartment" than a hotel room. Rates from $79 - $89 a night for short stays, probably a bit less than that for monthly arrangements.

The trees I save will probably do them more benefit than the lousy excuses you are coming up with.:lol:

So, what to do?

Continue with the deforestation of rain forests or continue with child labor?

Which one is easier to solve? Maybe no more Kindle and no more paper-based books?

We can go back to stone tablets! Try carrying a bunch of those to the airport with you!:laugh2:

We can go back to stone tablets! Try carrying a bunch of those to the airport with you!:laugh2:

Yea, and then one will get arrested for plotting a terrorist attack. Cant win, can we?

I agree; there's a time and place to be a home-owner, and a time when renting makes more sense. For anyone interested, here is the site for the Town Suites where she lived:

TownePlace Suites Falls Church VA hotel | extended stay Falls Church hotel | Falls Church Virginia hotel

Perfectly livable sort of place, more of an "efficiency apartment" than a hotel room. Rates from $79 - $89 a night for short stays, probably a bit less than that for monthly arrangements.

Around here they are referred to as "business lodging". There are a couple I use in different areas when I go to conferences. I like it much better than a motel room, because I get tired of eating in restaurants, and sometimes would prefer to go back to my room, get comfortable, and eat something I cooked. A few times, a friend and I have split the cost of a 2 bedroom one, and it was cheaper than a single motel room would have been for either one of us.

The one you are working with for yourself is GORGEOUS! I love the purples, but I have to be careful with pink around my face. Gives my skin an unsightly blue tone.:giggle:

I think I like the ribbon segment; adds texture and interest.

Depends what you're making. For scarves, definitely yes. For a sweater, probably not, because that section is see-thru, obviously, and it might hit places you don't want to expose to the world. For a sweater I would definitely use "Alp Light."

Except I would never make a sweater from it because it would cost a small fortune. :lol:

We need to start an "Arts and Crafts" topic.

To keep this on this topic: I personally would have a hard time living like this lady did, because in a small efficiency apartment, where would I store all my yarn?? At home, I have it in plastic shoeboxes in a bookcase, and in one closet upstairs. And, uh, some overflow in the basement storage area.

And yes, I know I need to finish all the projects I bought all this yarn for before buying more, but I find it difficult to stick with that resolution when I see something truly beautiful. I do get a lot done, though, so the yarn stash does fluctuate as I work it down. And then it expands again...sigh.

how did my thread about hotel turn into knitting craze?

but on that side note, I've always wanted to learn knitting. why? just cuz.

Depends what you're making. For scarves, definitely yes. For a sweater, probably not, because that section is see-thru, obviously, and it might hit places you don't want to expose to the world. For a sweater I would definitely use "Alp Light."

Except I would never make a sweater from it because it would cost a small fortune. :lol:

To keep this on this topic: I personally would have a hard time living like this lady did, because in a small efficiency apartment, where would I store all my yarn?? At home, I have it in plastic shoeboxes in a bookcase, and in one closet upstairs. And, uh, some overflow in the basement storage area.

And yes, I know I need to finish all the projects I bought all this yarn for before buying more, but I find it difficult to stick with that resolution when I see something truly beautiful. I do get a lot done, though, so the yarn stash does fluctuate as I work it down. And then it expands again...sigh.

Agreed. This is not the fiber you purchase 10 skeins of all at once for a single project.:giggle:

We could move to the "Talents" thread.

I have the same problem. I swear to buy no more, and then I see something beautiful, and I think, "It will be gone if I wait....":P

Umm....more room to store yarn in a hotel without so many other possessions?

I taught my son and one of his friends. In some cultures, (old Welsh use to be one of them) men did all the knitting.

Umm....more room to store yarn in a hotel without so many other possessions?

I taught my son and one of his friends. In some cultures, (old Welsh use to be one of them) men did all the knitting.

I used to know a guy who did knitting himself. I have lost touch with him though.

Your post makes me think of tribbles in Star Trek. Yarns multiplying by themselves and overflow your home!

Your post makes me think of tribbles in Star Trek. Yarns multiplying by themselves and overflow your home!

That's just about what it feels like!

But you'll be glad to know I'm also mailing off a gift to a mom and daughter today, of two hats and two scarves, so that's one accomplishment.

But I have about 3/4 of a skein of red yarn left over from that project - something else to add to the stash. That's how it goes - stash used up and added to, again, as a result of the same project.

These yarn balls must be related to the Tribbles; that's the only explanation that makes sense. :laugh2:

That is what so great about AllDeaf you never know where a thread will go!!
Is not dull around here!!

Back