Texas lawmaker to introduce anti-immigration bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likewise, you do not see people jumping for joy when they relocate to Chicago. Chicago is a hell hole. You can have Chicago, I like where I live.
We agree here.
I also like Arizona. I go there once a year.
Too far from me, and I like trees and water.
Also, something your intentionally leaving out is that Mexican is not a race. Its a nationality.
Well, you must be assuming that all these illegal people with darker skin and Spanish dialects are Mexican. I offer you this, based on personal experience, that many are from Central and South America as well. That is "Hispanic" where I come from. I assume you know there are more than 3 races. If not, recheck your census form.

Well, you must be assuming that all these illegal people with darker skin and Spanish dialects are Mexican. I offer you this, based on personal experience, that many are from Central and South America as well. That is "Hispanic" where I come from. I assume you know there are more than 3 races. If not, recheck your census form.

I was simply referring to the country of origin that the majority of the illegal population is jumping the border from. I did not mention race, you did.

Jiro's entire childhood, teenagehood and adulthood is in America. Sooo... Not sure why you're trying to elevate yourself above Jiro by being "American-born" and "American-raised."

yea I know right? not sure what's he trying to say.

In fact - I know more Spanish language or ASL than Korean language.

I was simply referring to the country of origin that the majority of the illegal population is jumping the border from. I did not mention race, you did.

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

and what border is that?

I see the only side of the story.

The "other side" is a lie meant to milk sympathy from tax payers.

You did notice she said she planned on going back to Mexico after she graduated? Why wait? Why not get her law degree in Mexico?

Oh wait ...... she was getting everything FREE ..... hmmm.

Yep, criminal.

I noticed it.

yea I know right? not sure what's he trying to say.

In fact - I know more Spanish language or ASL than Korean language.

Here is what I am "trying" to say. And I am sure it will be misinterpreted into something I am not saying (i.e. racist or xenophobe).

Firstly, I am a Son of Liberty. What this means, is that in my family tree, my ancestors fought the American Revolution. They also fought in the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, Desert Storm, Iraq and currently in Afghanistan. It essentially means, that my ancestors, at one time were British subjects in the Colonies.

It does not make my status any more important than any other American. However, it does mean something very important and significant. It means that my parents were not foreigners. It also means that my grandparents were not foreigners and so on.

I have never had to experience any significant "cultural" change. Neither did my parents, my grandparents, etc.

Now, in many American families, the situation is different. Of course, if your grandparents were from Norway, Ireland, China, etc., they are very proud of their heritage (I assume). You would be considered a 3rd generation American if your grandparent emigrated legally. You would be a bit more adapted to American culture than your grandparents were, and even your parents.

Suppose you were born in East Europe and you and your parents meet with a neighbor at a park. Suppose your dad jumps up from the picnic table and runs after a duck swimming in a pond, breaks its neck and yells "Ha! Dinner!"

Would this be acceptable in America? It is perfectly normal and acceptable in parts of Eastern Europe. If you are a child mainstreamed in American culture with American friends ... this event would more than likely embarrass you.

That's just an example (and a true story that happened to a friend of mine ;) ).

I have NEVER had to experience cross cultural differences in my family - I have NEVER had to experience more than one language being spoken in my home (other than sign). Yet, many American families experience this.

Yet, immigrants will say ..... "but this is normal in Europe", or even "its the way we do things in China".

America is NOT Europe. It is NOT China. America has its own way of "doing things" and guess what, you live here now. The same rules that apply to me, also apply to you. I cannot jump up from a picnic table and chase a duck in a park and kill it. Sorry, that is simply not the way "we" do things here. No matter how great your duck killing urges may be, it simply is not done that way here. Sorry. You must first get a hunting license, make sure the duck is in season and only hunt in areas where it is permissible. A public park just isn't permissible ..... anyway, this is simply an example.

Another example ..... suppose it has been the "tradition" of a large company to hold "dinner on the grounds" for years and years on Saturday for their employees (another true example). This is a very "American" tradition, where employees will bring a covered dish from home and contribute to this. Green beans, mashed potatoes, corn, country fried steak etc. etc. Suppose this company just hired a bunch of "illegals" unknowingly (remember, this really happened) which, as chance would have it, were from Mexico. Suppose the "dinner on the grounds" festivities had to stop, not because the illegals didn't bring anything (which they didn't), but because instead of using portion spoons and tongs, they grabbed the food in dishes with their hands and put them on their plates. They then took the dishes, which didn't belong to them, home.

Imagine how pissed off people got. Would you eat green beans if the person in front of you reached in the pot with their bare hands (dirty from work) grabbed a handful and plopped it on his plate?

Now, imagine if management tried to correct this behavior and the offenders viewed this "correction" as Racist and insulting.

Well, apparently these "traditions" were very normal where these folks came from. They are not "normal" in America.

Many immigrants try to bring their customs and culture to America from their home countries. That's perfectly fine. It creates diversity.

Some things were meant to stay in their home countries.

When an immigrant comes to America, they must EMBRACE America. They must be a part of America. You cannot be a part of your home country and America. It simply does not work here.

This is just insight from someone who can identify exactly where your from in the country by the way you talk, your mannerisms, dress, general overall appearance. Some traits are far more distinctive than others. I can usually tell if your a 2nd or 3rd generation American as well.

These nuances do not matter really. An American is an American ... period.

What you described are some instances of cultural clashes, but all of those could happen just as easily happen for other reasons. Cultural differences also arise things other than nationality, such as religion, socioeconomic status, political background, and even regions within the same country. There are major cultural differences between the North and the South even within the U.S. Military culture is completely different from hippie culture which is really different from yuppie culture, but they are all part of American culture.

The beautiful thing about America is that American culture is made up of many subcultures, ethnic as well as other types, and these subcultures, relatively speaking, coexist quite peacefully. How many countries can you go to where you walk down the street and see people from all sorts of backgrounds? How many countries can have a conversation about what you want for dinner: Italian food, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, French food, or maybe just a burger and fries?

It would be unacceptable for someone to grab a duck and break its neck in America and no we don't eat food with our hands, but we have a lot more flexibility in terms of cultural differences than a lot of countries and I think that's something to be celebrated, not suppressed.

What you described are some instances of cultural clashes, but all of those could happen just as easily happen for other reasons. Cultural differences also arise things other than nationality, such as religion, socioeconomic status, political background, and even regions within the same country. There are major cultural differences between the North and the South even within the U.S. Military culture is completely different from hippie culture which is really different from yuppie culture, but they are all part of American culture.

The beautiful thing about America is that American culture is made up of many subcultures, ethnic as well as other types, and these subcultures, relatively speaking, coexist quite peacefully. How many countries can you go to where you walk down the street and see people from all sorts of backgrounds? How many countries can have a conversation about what you want for dinner: Italian food, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, French food, or maybe just a burger and fries?

It would be unacceptable for someone to grab a duck and break its neck in America and no we don't eat food with our hands, but we have a lot more flexibility in terms of cultural differences than a lot of countries and I think that's something to be celebrated, not suppressed.

There may be cultural differences between those who live in the north and the south, but when I visit my family in Brooklyn, they speak English. When I visit my family in Georgia, they speak English. When I visit my family in Arizona, they speak English. When I visit my family in Florida, they speak English.

They are all here legally. Now, as far as cultural differences, my family in Brooklyn speak with a very obvious "New York" accent. They eat more bagels than I do. Their religion - Catholic. Professions, attorneys, paralegal, barbers.

Georgia - same thing with accent. They are a bit less pale than my New York relatives. Religion - various protestant, wiccan, atheist ... no catholics. Professions - very various from comic book store manager to pizza delivery to talk show host to construction labor ..... etc.

Florida - not as pronounced of an accent - wear more sunscreen than my NY relatives. Religion - Protestant - strict adherence. Professions - retail.

Arizona - almost a "Yankee" accent mixed with a southern drawl. Religion - various including Navajo spirituality. They wear a lot of sunscreen and drink a lot of water. Professions - law enforcement, RN at VA and Veterinarians.

There is no discussion of "the old world" or any discussion in a foreign language. I do not have to interpret to my friends what my parents are saying, or what my grandparents are saying.

Yeah, I noticed that, too.
Not surprised that race is not an issue to you two. Not a whole lot of blue-eyed redheads coming in. See, you don't think race is an issue because you pretend there is nothing racist about giving the police discretionary power to stop people. Ain't it great to be a white male? :roll:

Not surprised that race is not an issue to you two. Not a whole lot of blue-eyed redheads coming in. See, you don't think race is an issue because you pretend there is nothing racist about giving the police discretionary power to stop people. Ain't it great to be a white male? :roll:

The focus has been on the word, "illegal," (as in illegal alien) and not about race. You are making it about race by making presumptions when the law already made clear that racial profiling is illegal in the first place.

Maybe they should just hand America back to the Native Americans.

The focus has been on the word, "illegal," (as in illegal alien) and not about race. You are making it about race by making presumptions when the law already made clear that racial profiling is illegal in the first place.

Highest number of illegal immigrants are Latino, that how they figured out via racial profiling.

[deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

Racist!:giggle:

Kind of shoots that "Sons of Liberty" thing full of holes...Whose liberty was he talking about? Must be the white portion of the population.

So should central and south America as well when the Spaniards took the rest of those countries and wiped out many of the indigenous Indians over time.

Highest number of illegal immigrants are Latino, that how they figured out via racial profiling.

Good for you to support support AZ immigrant law so you must proud to be racist and fascist, along with trolling anyone in this forum.

Doesn't matter. It's about "illegal aliens" regardless of their ethnicity or nationality.

[deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Traffic stop puts KSU student in jail as an illegal immigrant
by Kathryn Dobies
kdobies@mdjonline.com
May 01, 2010 12:00 AM | 4004 views | 1 1 comments | 30 30 recommendations | email to a friend | print
KENNESAW - Kennesaw State University student, Jessica Colotl, 21, will be heading back to her home country of Mexico after her worst nightmare came true when her undocumented status was discovered following a routine traffic stop by university police on her way to class.

On March 29, at about 11 a.m. as Colotl was pulling her gold Honda Civic into a parking lot on KSU's campus, she was stopped for what KSU Officer J.K. Kimsey described as impeding the flow of traffic. When Kimsey asked the senior student to present her driver's license and she was unable to, he "cut her a break" according to KSU officials, and asked her to come to his office the following day with the license, instead of arresting her on the spot.

According to Colotl's friends, however, the police officer wasn't very accommodating. Instead, they said he demanded she report to his office the next day, even going as far as threatening her that "he would go issue an arrest warrant and look for her during her classes," stated a press release written by two of Colotl's friends and fellow sorority sisters, Claudia Caycho and Lila Parra.
Sounds like standard campus parking situation. I work on a campus with horrendous parking, so this kind of situation could easily happen.

So far, it seems she did get a break because driving without a license could have been charged right then and there, with her car getting towed.

Caycho and Parra both said that as instructed, Colotl reported to Officer Kimsey's office on March 30 in hopes that she could explain to him her situation.

Colotl is an undocumented citizen who has lived in the U.S. since she was 7 years old. Her parents came to Atlanta illegally in 1996 from southern Mexico to escape a life of severe poverty. While friends say the family moved around most of Colotl's childhood, she eventually graduated from Lakeside High School in DeKalb County with a GPA of 3.8, according to Parra. She enrolled at KSU and began taking classes there in the fall of 2006 as a freshman.
There is no such thing as "an undocumented citizen." If a person is "undocumented", then she is not a "citizen."

For the university's part, KSU officials said Colotl came to them not as an undocumented citizen, but as a Georgia High School graduate.

Although Colotl explained the situation to Kimsey and presented him with a Mexican driver's license and an expired Mexican Passport, the officer still arrested her for failure to present a valid driver's license and took her to Cobb County Jail where she was eventually released to Immigrations Customs Enforcement in Atlanta.
She was arrested for not having a valid driving license, period.

BTW, if she's been living in the States since she was a kid, why did she have a Mexican driver's license? She didn't bring that with her when she was seven years old.

BTW, if she's been living in the States since she was a kid, why did she have a Mexican driver's license? She didn't bring that with her when she was seven years old.

Right. That's what I was thinking, too. A red flag if you ask me.

Mod's Note:

OK, I have decided to reopen this thread.

Please let's play nice or this thread will be locked.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back