Telephone Company

BlondeGirl

Reaction score
Currently, my phone company is SBC. I would like to switch to Vonage. Is there anyone that use Vonage?? I would like your opinion on it. While SBC use phone line and jack, Vonage use internet cable. With Vonage, the phone would ring and can dial to call people. I would love that but there is a problem. I need phone line and jack in order for my lamps to flash since I am deaf. How would the lamp flash if it does not have phone line and jack?

I would like to hear from people who use Vonage.

I thank you for your time.

:confused: mld4ds, BlondeGirl's post has nothing to do with 911.

BlondeGirl - Why not contact Vonage and see what they have to say about that? If you do that, please post what you found out because you have a good point! :)

You might need a splitter or some sort of thing to have it route to a phone ringer light. You can ask Voyage about how to route to external things like that.

BlondeGirl said:
Currently, my phone company is SBC. I would like to switch to Vonage. Is there anyone that use Vonage?? I would like your opinion on it. While SBC use phone line and jack, Vonage use internet cable. With Vonage, the phone would ring and can dial to call people. I would love that but there is a problem. I need phone line and jack in order for my lamps to flash since I am deaf. How would the lamp flash if it does not have phone line and jack?

BlondeGirl said:

I'm not a vonage user.

When you get vonage service, you must already have high speed internet service. You CANNOT have SBC DSL service without regular telephone service. That means you cannot get SBC high speed and Vonage.

If you have another high speed internet company in your area, see if you can get their service without also having telephone service.

Now, Vonage works by having your telephone "line" plugged into something connected to a high speed internet modem. Usually, this is done by you having to have a internet router with a built-in phone jack. You may get this from Vonage, OR they will have an adapter that uses one of the ports on the router. If this sounds too technical for you, please PM me and I'll explain the terms later in the thread.

This means that you're using a REGULAR telephone for your service, but you're not plugging into a wall -- you're plugging into this high speed connection. If you want a light flasher, you have to hook it up to that VOIP plug from the router, OR have your phone be the kind that has 2 jacks in it. Simple?

The problem will be when you want a REMOTE light flasher for another room. You can't simply plug the light flasher into another telephone jack. It won't ring and set off the light. You could get the remote kind that plugs into the wall as well and that could set off a signal if your wiring is working correctly.

Dennis said:
The problem will be when you want a REMOTE light flasher for another room. You can't simply plug the light flasher into another telephone jack. It won't ring and set off the light. You could get the remote kind that plugs into the wall as well and that could set off a signal if your wiring is working correctly.

I've read somewhere that there is a device available that you can ue to connect to you house phone wires that will make the existing phone jacks work with VOIP. IIRC, it goes between your router with VOIP and a phone jack. I'll have to go look it up again, but I believe it exists and will solve the problem.

Back