Teaching - without voice or ASL

paperclip

Reaction score
How would a deaf or hoh individual teach if they were not fluent in ASL?

I am a grad student and always shrugged off the idea of becoming a teacher or professor because I am not super comfortable with the idea teaching orally or with ASL. Part of me thinks I would have more interest in the career if there were options that I would be more comfortable with. I'm wondering if there are other options of teaching besides spoken English and ASL.

Thanks for your input!

Well... Do what you feel happier doing. My advice to you: Find something you'd love to work at because if you end up waking up every day feeling that you have to get up, but hate your job, then it's probably time for a change. But if you wake up every morning feeling happy to go to work, looking forward to the day, then i'd do it for as long as i can =)

Besides... over at NTID, I remember that they actually required every professor who taught there to actually know ASL as a requirement, so there were Hearing teachers @ NTID who taught there as well as HOH and Deaf, so... As for elsewhere, dunno!

Good luck!

=)

I have NO idea about this, really, but my daughter takes some online classes through her college. I don't think they are videos, just text and online chat discussions. Maybe some teachers are able to only teach online courses.
I know some homeschooling programs offer online courses, no speech or ASL required.

How would a deaf or hoh individual teach if they were not fluent in ASL?

I am a grad student and always shrugged off the idea of becoming a teacher or professor because I am not super comfortable with the idea teaching orally or with ASL. Part of me thinks I would have more interest in the career if there were options that I would be more comfortable with. I'm wondering if there are other options of teaching besides spoken English and ASL.

Thanks for your input!

ask TheWriteAlex. He taught an english course at college

I have NO idea about this, really, but my daughter takes some online classes through her college. I don't think they are videos, just text and online chat discussions. Maybe some teachers are able to only teach online courses.
I know some homeschooling programs offer online courses, no speech or ASL required.

My cyber school is like this. A lot of the teachers do hold chat-room things called Live Lessons, where they teach the students using a microphone and/or a webcam, and a PowerPoint/virtual whiteboard. They can write on their screens, and they can type to the students in the chat box. Most of the teachers speak over the microphone and use a PowerPoint or a virtual whiteboard. But, I'm sure that there are programs and teachers out there where they hold interactive chat discussions with their students - no speaking or ASL required, as Grayma said. It's quite flexible. A lot of the teachers work from home, too!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Even teachers who would teach online only would be required to have at the very least a B.Ed - which requires an in classroom teaching block of +18 weeks, so at minimum you'd need to be able to teach that amount worth orally or using ASL (although you'd have to find out if you'd qualify for a standard B.Ed if you used ASL)

There are plenty of careers out there, all of which will require some means of in person communication. If you aren't comfortable speaking, consider taking ASL and Deaf Studies courses to improve your ASL and speak with career counselors and your teachers about what might be a good career fit for you.

Back