Teaching a deaf puppy ASL?

ChasingRainbows

Reaction score
I am a hearing person and I recently discovered that my 4 month old puppy is deaf. She does not respond to any sounds. Never has. Just vibrations. I know a very small amount of ASL but I am studying it and hoping that I will be able to "talk" to her and be successful in training her using ASL. So far I am working on her name (Maisie. I don't spell it out,I just make an M and "nod" my hand twice), come, good girl, and no. I want to teach her basic commands as well as toy, mommy, daddy, bone, food, and the names of my other dogs. She is a hound (beagle and redbone coonhound) so she would be hard to train anyway because she is so focused on her nose. Her being deaf just makes it harder. She glances up at me occassionally but never long enough for me to get out more than one sign at a time. Am I taking on an impossible task? I really don't want her to be a ~70 lb. dog visitors don't like because she has no manners or training. I'll love her no matter what and I'm glad I wound up with her (her mom was dumped when she was pregnant and the people who found the mom didn't want the puppies..Maisie was extremely underweight and had worms when I got her). If she wound up at a shelter she probably would have gotten put down just for being deaf. I tell everyone who meets her that there is nothing wrong with her, she just can't hear. You can talk to her like she's a normal dog (just don't get upset with her when she doesn't obey a command), and you can play with and love on her like a normal dog. She's my sweet little Miss Maisie Hound. :)

Sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors..I have a new phone that I am still trying to get used to...

I think it would easier to just try and teach her some hand signals . It might help to have a dog that trained and with you so your dog will understand what you trying to teach her . You could say 'sit' and use a hand signal at the same time and after a few times your dog should get what you mean when she see the other dog 'sit'. I sure would not let your dog run lose unless she in a fenced in yard.

I've seen dogs trained by hand signals. =) It works. =D When they're looking... >.> lol

:wave:ChasingRainbows and congrats on your puppy!

I'm a trainer and have worked with many deaf dogs. They are no different than any other dog in their natural ability to work off body language and hand signals. Dogs as a group do -not- understand or do as well with spoken language and their natural language is visual and spatial. My girls<dogs> who are hearing work to both voice and hand.
You could also use ASL with the pup.

I agree about the fenced-in yard - an actual, physical fence.

My suggestion from a purely behavioral perspective as a trainer is to teach a hand signal and a voice cue separately. This is what we teach in classes also. If you combine the two cues, the odds are the pup will work off the visual only or predominately and she doesn't really clearly get the verbal...again, the visual or hand signal is naturally a strength <in a dog who can see> than the verbal cue<voice>. Once you have the visual cue going - that is, you have an 80% success rate with a visual cue, you can then go back and start again with the verbal cue.

Remember that she -is- a normal dog. Reinforce what you want her to do, show her what you want, as opposed to punishment and correction. Manage, ignore and prevent what you don't want.
Reward her offering you attention, looking at you, laying quietly next to you, offering you a toy, looking back at you when she's walking around, coming over to you - the more you reward what you want, the more she will understand that -those things - are appropriate and fun; therefore she will OFFER those things.

Don't ever call her to you and then do something that she finds unpleasant or is unsure of - nails, bath etc. If you want her for those kinds of things - go get her.

links: http://deafdogsrock.com/

http://www.deafdogs.org/training/<Deaf Dog Education and Action Fund>

:wave:ChasingRainbows and congrats on your puppy!

I'm a trainer and have worked with many deaf dogs. They are no different than any other dog in their natural ability to work off body language and hand signals. Dogs as a group do -not- understand or do as well with spoken language and their natural language is visual and spatial. My girls<dogs> who are hearing work to both voice and hand.
You could also use ASL with the pup.

I agree about the fenced-in yard - an actual, physical fence.

My suggestion from a purely behavioral perspective as a trainer is to teach a hand signal and a voice cue separately. This is what we teach in classes also. If you combine the two cues, the odds are the pup will work off the visual only or predominately and she doesn't really clearly get the verbal...again, the visual or hand signal is naturally a strength <in a dog who can see> than the verbal cue<voice>. Once you have the visual cue going - that is, you have an 80% success rate with a visual cue, you can then go back and start again with the verbal cue.

Remember that she -is- a normal dog. Reinforce what you want her to do, show her what you want, as opposed to punishment and correction. Manage, ignore and prevent what you don't want.
Reward her offering you attention, looking at you, laying quietly next to you, offering you a toy, looking back at you when she's walking around, coming over to you - the more you reward what you want, the more she will understand that -those things - are appropriate and fun; therefore she will OFFER those things.

Don't ever call her to you and then do something that she finds unpleasant or is unsure of - nails, bath etc. If you want her for those kinds of things - go get her.

links: Deaf Dogs Rock

http://www.deafdogs.org/training/<Deaf Dog Education and Action Fund>

I mean an actual, physical fence too not an invisible fence. I have heard of a dog getting out of the yard that had fence like that. A dog can also dig their way out really fast and are good at finding and lose wood to squeeze through. My daughter got a gate for her car s I could put Finlay in the back. Finlay was able to squeeze through a small opening and get in the back seat
and he had very looong legs too.

most good well trained dog go by hand movements even just raised eyebrow...that the clever dogs,like humans you get odd dog who thick as sh1t..you appear have kind heart and trying to get advice so doggie got good start in life.
Your spelling and grammer not as bad as mine so dont worry

:wave:Whatdidyousay, oh I'm glad you meant a physical fence too.
It's good you reminded me about the potential for a dog to dig out from under any kind of fence. We don't have dogs who are inclined to do that but it's sure something to watch.

caz, yup, definately, about the smallest of body movements, like the raised eyebrow!

She is a strictly outdoor dog. I have 2 crazy indoor dogs and the parents say no more dogs inside. Maisie currently has an extra large covered kennel outside (not a crate, but a kennel), and I'm looking to add at least one more to it. When she is out of her kennel she has 3 options. I take her for walks around the 31 acres and she's on a retractable leash for her walks. Then she has the option to be in the little dog pen if she wants to spend time with one of the indoor dogs. Her 3rd option is to be on a 30 foot lead. I mix it up so she doesn't get bored.
Today we really buckled down with training. I got out the treats and I was really working on her name, "come", "no", and "good girl". She did great. It was really encouraging.
I signed up for online ASL courses earlier today..it's a lot harder than at thought it was going to be! I think I can do it tho.

She is a strictly outdoor dog. I have 2 crazy indoor dogs and the parents say no more dogs inside. Maisie currently has an extra large covered kennel outside (not a crate, but a kennel), and I'm looking to add at least one more to it. When she is out of her kennel she has 3 options. I take her for walks around the 31 acres and she's on a retractable leash for her walks. Then she has the option to be in the little dog pen if she wants to spend time with one of the indoor dogs. Her 3rd option is to be on a 30 foot lead. I mix it up so she doesn't get bored.
Today we really buckled down with training. I got out the treats and I was really working on her name, "come", "no", and "good girl". She did great. It was really encouraging.
I signed up for online ASL courses earlier today..it's a lot harder than at thought it was going to be! I think I can do it tho.

DDEAF - Deaf Dog Friendly Rescues & Shelters

Please go to this link and get help placing your deaf dog in a home who will really want her.

Deaf dogs get run over more and have more accidents, and really don't belong as an outdoor dog under any circumstances.

There are plenty of deaf people including me who rescue deaf dogs and give them really happy lives.

DDEAF - Deaf Dog Friendly Rescues & Shelters

Please go to this link and get help placing your deaf dog in a home who will really want her.

Deaf dogs get run over more and have more accidents, and really don't belong as an outdoor dog under any circumstances.

There are plenty of deaf people including me who rescue deaf dogs and give them really happy lives.

I do really want her. I love her to pieces, she is my sweet little girl. I, as well as my family members, spend hours with her each day. She has the greatest personality and I would do anything for her. If you saw my previous posts about her you would see that she is loved and wanted.
I make sure her emotional needs are met, with love and attention, that her mental needs are met with toys, bones, food puzzles, etc. And of course her physical needs are met. When she is out of her kennel she is never left unattended, because she is a deaf hound dog and is prone to wander. She is social and loves people so I don't think she minds.
She came to me as a rescue. Her mom was dumped while pregnant and Maisie was extremely underweight and had worms. She is now worm free and is a healthy weight. Never again will she feel unwanted.
I can't say it enough, that I love her and am in it for the long haul. If I felt like I couldn't provide for her needs I would rehome her. But I know that I can so she is stuck with me for life.

I do really want her. I love her to pieces, she is my sweet little girl. I, as well as my family members, spend hours with her each day. She has the greatest personality and I would do anything for her. If you saw my previous posts about her you would see that she is loved and wanted.
I make sure her emotional needs are met, with love and attention, that her mental needs are met with toys, bones, food puzzles, etc. And of course her physical needs are met. When she is out of her kennel she is never left unattended, because she is a deaf hound dog and is prone to wander. She is social and loves people so I don't think she minds.
She came to me as a rescue. Her mom was dumped while pregnant and Maisie was extremely underweight and had worms. She is now worm free and is a healthy weight. Never again will she feel unwanted.
I can't say it enough, that I love her and am in it for the long haul. If I felt like I couldn't provide for her needs I would rehome her. But I know that I can so she is stuck with me for life.
If you keep her outside in the backyard all the times (especially during winter times), how can she be a part of your family? :hmm:

She has hours spent with her each day. I walk her and play with her before I go to work, then my mom spends 4+ hours with her when I'm gone, and when I get home she gets an additional 2+ hours. My whole family spends a lot of time outside and whenever we are outside, Maisie is with us.

She has hours spent with her each day. I walk her and play with her before I go to work, then my mom spends 4+ hours with her when I'm gone, and when I get home she gets an additional 2+ hours. My whole family spends a lot of time outside and whenever we are outside, Maisie is with us.
That's good to hear that your deaf dog has company. However, what about winter nights? She would freeze to death, wouldn't she? I can't help worrying.

it's very easy to teach my dog with hand signals. hopefully you too.

Can you do it teach sign language puppy easy basic learn lesson first puppy :)

deaf dog smart visual to deaf people. :)

Yes, why avoid the question on her staying outside during the winter times? It gets cold here in Texas during the winter with an amazing 32 degrees during the day. I imagine Arkansas is just as cold if not colder.

The dog can freeze to death.

Last edited:
Well we are setting up two options for her. She will have access to the garage which will have a heater in it as well as a dog bed, blankets, etc.
I am also going to attach a second kennel to her current one. This one will be 100% waterproof, raised up about a foot off the ground, completely enclosed to keep out the wind, and will have a plush rug as well as her doghouse. So she will have one kennel where she can potty, eat, drink, and look around. And the other will be her little "bedroom".

It's not my choice to keep her outside. I want her inside but my parents say no. Once my fiancé and I get married and build a house, he and I's 4 dogs will be indoor/outdoor (together we have Maisie--beagle/redbone coonhound, and 3 German shepherds.).

Well we are setting up two options for her. She will have access to the garage which will have a heater in it as well as a dog bed, blankets, etc.
I am also going to attach a second kennel to her current one. This one will be 100% waterproof, raised up about a foot off the ground, completely enclosed to keep out the wind, and will have a plush rug as well as her doghouse. So she will have one kennel where she can potty, eat, drink, and look around. And the other will be her little "bedroom".

It's not my choice to keep her outside. I want her inside but my parents say no. Once my fiancé and I get married and build a house, he and I's 4 dogs will be indoor/outdoor (together we have Maisie--beagle/redbone coonhound, and 3 German shepherds.).
Damn, you already have three dogs, give Maisie to me now. Just kidding. Hope everything will go well with Maisie.

Last edited:
Damn, you already have three dogs, give Maisie to me now. Just kidding. Hope everything will go well with Maisie.

Hahaha...no. :P
I actually have 6 dogs. 3 German shepherds, Maisie, a pug, and a chihuahua/Pomeranian mix (the pug and chi-Pom are indoor dogs).

Here are a few pics of my happy, sassy, cutie patootie Maisie hound. :D

"Now you see here, Mom, it's like this..."

Hahaha...no. :P
I actually have 6 dogs. 3 German shepherds, Maisie, a pug, and a chihuahua/Pomeranian mix (the pug and chi-Pom are indoor dogs).

Looks healthy. BTW, I noticed there was a dry tear below eye. It's because she feels lonely and misses you. Do you let your other dogs playing with her or don't they get along?

Back