Teacher suspended for washing student's mouth out with soap

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/06/11...p.ap/index.html

Friday, June 11, 2004 Posted: 7:23 AM EDT (1123 GMT)

ROCHESTER, New York (AP) -- An elementary school teacher was placed on paid leave for washing a boy's mouth out with soap after he shouted an obscenity at a classmate.

Lori Thomas, 48, who has taught for six years at inner-city School 22, said she was stunned when a 10-year-old boy directed "a vile, very nasty sexual reference" at a third-grade girl in March.

Thomas said she didn't want the boy, who had frequently been sent home for unruly behavior, to earn another one-week suspension.

She took the boy to the nurse's office, she said, "put a drop of soap of his lower lip, washed it out immediately and told him I never wanted to hear filth like that coming out of his mouth again."

"Old-fashioned ways work," she said unapologetically.

The boy behaved for the remainder of the day and didn't complain to his foster mother, Thomas said. The boy's brother told district officials what had happened, she said.

Thomas was suspended indefinitely. The district could either fire Thomas -- even though tenure provides such teachers "a lot of protection" -- or level "a lesser amount of discipline," said Joanne Giuffrida, personnel chief in the 6,000-employee school district.

"I wish we could have handled this more expeditiously too," Giuffrida said. She said an investigation will likely be completed within two weeks.

More than 40 relatives of children in Thomas' class have asked for her to be reinstated.

WDYT????

common happen in several years ago.

It's tough to be teacher when there are brat students.

Soonersfan79 said:
Boy deserved that ! IMO

No, you don't put soap into a child's mouth, not with the chemcials they put in today's soap.

There are some soaps that can be harmful to people if put into the mouth and the chemcials can get washed off and swallowed.

Ain't a good idea.

I would be mad if the teachers went for putting "foreign" my own KIDS mouths. They have no rights to PUT ANY foreigns in my kids without my permisson or let me know what their OWN plans to discipline my kids. I can give them the answers. THATS ALL MATTERS.

Soap in kids mouths are not what I wanted. I was a kid and teacher puts soap in mymouth. I threw up the whole of food from my lunch and I was soo hunrgy all afternoon. I never forget that. I did not learn my lesson not to say it but my traumatic was with the "SOAP" in my mind.

Banjo is right that anything manufactured these days can be dangerous. It may not causes kids die from it but makes kids so sick or can be allgery.

Well, in my opinion, she was wrong to use soap in his mouth..she could use other ways of discipline or have the principal suspend him or something like that instead..a lot of people are allergic to certain soaps so if he gets sick then she could get sued!..stupid absurd idea really. Now days the teachers cannot spank the children at least they were not allowed when my son was in grade school. They just call the parents if they have problems with the child.

Never thought about that I just rember my grandma use put bar of soap in my mouth :dunno:

Soonersfan79 said:
Never thought about that I just rember my grandma use put bar of soap in my mouth :dunno:

Thats ok.. thats why i posted it here to make you guys to think about it. What if your own kids were shoveled any foreigns in their mouths and what will you do with this? Thats why I want to see how many are you agreeing with this or not. I guess I love to see your point of views. ;)

While it is drastic of the teacher to do that, I know that many teachers are exasperated with unruly children because their parents at home are not doing their jobs of educating them of what is right or wrong.

I would have an urge to shove a bar of soap in a young boy's mouth if he called my innocent daughters an obscene name. He should have known better how to respect others and apparently he is known for being an unruly child so perhaps the teacher just snapped because shes tried out so many other approaches to make him mind his manners.

ive had my mouth washed out with soap when i was a kid and it accomplishes nothing at least IMO cuz i was and am still cussing :lol:

Fly Free said:
ive had my mouth washed out with soap when i was a kid and it accomplishes nothing at least IMO cuz i was and am still cussing :lol:

Yeah That's true. I do cuss a lot. :roll: But I still remember the tasting of the soap and makes me sick though. UGH! :barf:

Frisky Feline said:
Yeah That's true. I do cuss a lot. :roll: But I still remember the tasting of the soap and makes me sick though. UGH! :barf:

:lol: yea i know what u mean -- it DOES taste nasty

I think it's a tough call, it could be dangerous, but I think that the boy definitely learned his lesson :)

the point is that the boy kept doing it but the parents dont seem to care. As I read, he had foster parents.........that may explain why they dont have control or dont care............I have seen lots of bad kids in schools....now they are beating up/harrassing teachers.....

Why not?? Soap may taste bad to hearing students and cause them to get the bad shits, but it sure feels good for the Deaf students!! :naughty:

Back