Teacher of the Deaf programs

Out of the 70 TOD programs, how many emphasize listening and spoken language?

• 0-15

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 16-30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-45

• 46-60

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 61+

• Total voters
I think faire_jour has a degree in special pedagogy. It can then explain a lot of her claims and way of thinking here.

First of all, there is no reason to make personal attacks. Second, what are the claims I'm making?

What exactly do you think an "AVT teacher" is? Who is supposed to hire tham?

I know what an AVT teacher is, and have met one. It's a teacher with AVT know how, from formal training. The school hired her. She was an asshole, in case anyone wonder.

What exactly do you think an "AVT teacher" is? Who is supposed to hire tham?

I know that they make them listen with their ears, they talk normal, encourage them not to read lips or anything like that. I can't decide if you want a teacher who is like an public school teacher - but more like a special education type of teacher who will accomadate the student the best they can (whiteboard, notes, do things in such a way that help deaf people understand the lesson, etc.)- or a speech therapist type of teacher, or AVT type of teacher because you want these kids to use their ears as much as they can.

First of all, there is no reason to make personal attacks. Second, what are the claims I'm making?

Personal attack? Calm down. What you are saying here is what a lot of people working with special pedagogy can relate to. I have heard this stuff for decades.

The claims you are making is the one that you are writing in your posts. What a silly question.

I know that they make them listen with their ears, they talk normal, encourage them not to read lips or anything like that. I can't decide if you want a teacher who is like an public school teacher - but more like a special education type of teacher who will accomadate the student the best they can (whiteboard, notes, do things in such a way that help deaf people understand the lesson, etc.)- or a speech therapist type of teacher, or AVT type of teacher because you want these kids to use their ears as much as they can.

AVT stands for auditory verbal therapy or therapist. They are therapists who are certified by one group, after a very strict process.

I want Teachers of the Deaf to be trained to teach deaf students. I am not talking about speech therapy, I am talking about the teachers who teach in class all day, everyday.

This is off topic.

The topic is whether Teachers of the Deaf should be trained to meet the needs of the deaf students they will be teaching.

It's not really off topic, but more an uncomfortable question to a lot of parents I guess.

You are asking us to say that your breed of teachers should teach 90 percent of deaf students.

Personal attack? Calm down. What you are saying here is what a lot of people working with special pedagogy can relate to. I have heard this stuff for decades.

The claims you are making is the one that you are writing in your posts. What a silly question.

Can you tell me what these claims are, rather than be vague and pretend that it is a silly question. I am trying to have a discussion, I'm not making any claims.

It's not really off topic, but more an uncomfortable question to a lot of parents I guess.

You are asking us to say that your breed of teachers should teach 90 percent of deaf students.

I don't have a "breed of teacher". I have no idea what you are talking about.

The point is that 90% of deaf kids ALREADY use spoken language. Why aren't their teachers trained to teach them?

There are Special education teachers use teach like public school teachers but provide accodamations to deaf because they understand their needs. I won't say AVT teachers although it does seem like it. But ask the school to hire the type of teachers you want. But don't make everyone to be "trained" if they are against that type of method on deaf children.

I don't have a "breed of teacher". I have no idea what you are talking about.

The point is that 90% of deaf kids ALREADY use spoken language. Why aren't their teachers trained to teach them?

They would be if they learned ASL. :)

The kids don't deserve teachers because they use spoken language??? Why shouldn't they get teachers who are highly trained and understand their needs because they use a different language than you would like? They are deaf, they should be taught by teachers of the deaf. They should be around other deaf kids and have deaf role models. Why don't they deserve that?

The kids don't deserve teachers because they use spoken language??? Why shouldn't they get teachers who are highly trained and understand their needs because they use a different language than you would like? They are deaf, they should be taught by teachers of the deaf. They should be around other deaf kids and have deaf role models. Why don't they deserve that?

Here, you are making claims. See?

I don't think you are helping them when you tell deaf teachers that they can't teach in sign language. And I already gave you the answer, if there are teacher of the deaf using auditory based teaching, ask the deaf school to hire them.. it seem to me that you want to force the teacher to shift back and forth to sign language and speech (or both like sim-com).

I don't think you are helping them when you tell deaf teachers that they can't teach in sign language. And I already gave you the answer, if there are teacher of the deaf using auditory based teaching, ask the deaf school to hire them.. it seem to me that you want to force the teacher to shift back and forth to sign language and speech (or both like sim-com).

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be Teachers of the Deaf who use ASL, not at all. I think that there should be a variety of placements for deaf kids, depending on their needs. There should be oral teachers of the deaf for kids who use listening and spoken language, there should be teachers of the deaf who speacialize in ASL, for kids who use ASL.

My point is that there are tons of kids who use spoken language. There is a need for teachers of the deaf who can teach them.

The problem is that the goal of AVT and AGBad advocates for deaf children to be mainstreamed so that means they will be taught by teachers in the regular ed field. Unless you are asking for teachers of the Deaf to teach mainstreamed classes?

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be Teachers of the Deaf who use ASL, not at all. I think that there should be a variety of placements for deaf kids, depending on their needs. There should be oral teachers of the deaf for kids who use listening and spoken language, there should be teachers of the deaf who speacialize in ASL, for kids who use ASL.

My point is that there are tons of kids who use spoken language. There is a need for teachers of the deaf who can teach them.

Like I wrote earlier, we don't know how much these spoken kids are really picking up in their lessons. I want them to actually learn. If the parents are confidence that their kids can pick up spoken language without a problem, then they should go to a auditory- based deaf school or teachers. but not every spoken language children, even if they seem fine, can do this which is why they need accodamation in the first place but even with that, they still struggle. In fact, being visual is probably something they've always done. Unless you are talking about CI children, but I highly doubt their parents want them in deaf school unless their CI failed and need visual languages. so it would be a waste of TOD time to be more Auditory-based type of teachers if their parents won't put them in those type of school in the first place, even if it is auditory-based sharing school with ASL signing kids.

The problem is that the goal of AVT and AGBad advocates for deaf children to be mainstreamed so that means they will be taught by teachers in the regular ed field. Unless you are asking for teachers of the Deaf to teach mainstreamed classes?

Actually, I believe that AG Bell advocates for oral schools as well. They even have scholarships for kids who can't afford private oral schools.

Back