Taking ASL 2 :)

wishiwashi7

Reaction score
Last semester I took ASL 1 and loved it! This Summer I signed up for Intermediate ASL and can't wait! I even bought a book at my local bookstore that has full colored photos for 500 different signs and it includes a DVD, only $25!:eek3: So, now I can refresh my memory on the basic signs! :dance2:

There are numerous websites that offer online American Sign Language learning. Some of the websites just offer a list of words and grammar to help you learn. However, some sites will offer an organized and structured way to learn online American Sign Language. In general, all of us learn a language from a structured approach. Learning American Sign Language has to be just that; organized and structured. Online American Sign Language is no different. You need to find a program that will benefit you and your individual learning style.

There are numerous websites that offer online American Sign Language learning. Some of the websites just offer a list of words and grammar to help you learn. However, some sites will offer an organized and structured way to learn online American Sign Language. In general, all of us learn a language from a structured approach. Learning American Sign Language has to be just that; organized and structured. Online American Sign Language is no different. You need to find a program that will benefit you and your individual learning style.

uh ok

Last semester I took ASL 1 and loved it! This Summer I signed up for Intermediate ASL and can't wait! I even bought a book at my local bookstore that has full colored photos for 500 different signs and it includes a DVD, only $25!:eek3: So, now I can refresh my memory on the basic signs! :dance2:

W00t glad you're having fun.

Huh??? :shock:

I've done my best learning by simply using (and messing up a lot) the language with others... Deaf and hearies who are fluent. The Deaf people that have had to deal with me have been very patient with my efforts to not totally butcher their language!

Books, DVDs and online programs can be great, but are NO replacement for using the language in real life situations!

When I teach my girlfriend ASL, I more of focus on teaching words. Let her learn words to ASL. That is so that we would talk. I figure that structure will eventually come when one becomes fluent in ASL.

When I teach my girlfriend ASL, I more of focus on teaching words. Let her learn words to ASL. That is so that we would talk. I figure that structure will eventually come when one becomes fluent in ASL.
If she gets too used to using signs in English word order, it will be harder for her to switch to proper ASL sign order/grammar later. It's better to use the proper ASL right from the beginning, to avoid confusion.

Learning vocabulary isn't enough. A person needs to know how to put that vocabulary to understandable use.

Vocabulary can always be added on to over time.

i love learnig asl im in asl in my class but its boring not having anyone to pratice with at my house and when ever i sign they look at me funny. so have fun learning and keep it up =)

i love learnig asl im in asl in my class but its boring not having anyone to pratice with at my house and when ever i sign they look at me funny. so have fun learning and keep it up =)

Thanks! Yeah I feel the same way I feel weird practicing by myself. XD

Back