Switched at Birth and our children

I love switched at birth. I understand hearing people may get the wrong idea about lip reading, but I think the main purpose of the show is showing other issues. The actress who plays daphne is hearing but she has an ear disease that makes her primary language asl because her ears are affected. I do agree that she can do a better job of portraying lip reading.

Now I got a question for all of you on AD. Do you think that with a show like switched at birth will do much if anything to blend deaf and hearing cultures? Will it make it easier or harder for deaf awareness and helping hearing people want to learn ASL?

The actress who plays daphne is hearing but she has an ear disease that makes her primary language asl because her ears are affected. I do agree that she can do a better job of portraying lip reading.

Actually no, she is not- she is HoH due to Meniere's disease.

Do you think that with a show like switched at birth will do much if anything to blend deaf and hearing cultures? Will it make it easier or harder for deaf awareness and helping hearing people want to learn ASL?

It may make the deaf look "cool" in the eyes of the hearing for a while,
maybe even trendy to have a deaf bf or gf as long as the show last,

and perhaps yeah, narrow the gap between the two a bit and encourage to learn ASL, yeah,

but I wouldn't count on "blending the cultures", nah forget it.

BTW what the heck happened to Canada's S@B episodes????
I haven't seen any in the last few weeks!!!

Fuzzy

Yes, there's an order of 32 episodes for the first season. That's a lot of episodes for a single season. Nowadays, 22 episodes is the standard. Back in the 50s and 60s, it used to be common for a TV show to have a total of 32 to 38 episodes per season. Now it's 22 episodes, very few would go to 24-26 episodes.

Ummm, right now I am seeing more tv shows with merely 12 to 18 episodes rather than 24 episodes. A few of them have that many these days. Sure, yes, the 50's had about 30 episodes or even more! The rising cost and because of more cable channels and less people are watching tv/cable, as well as fewer advertising on TV caused the number of episodes per show go down. They are splitting shows to two halves per season. For example, it could run for 2 months or 8 episodes then go on hiatus until six months later and run another 2 more months to have season ending. Did you noticed that the show, "Switch at Birth" ran like 2 to 3 months? I did not count but noticed its short run recently.

yeah sure :roll:.... like I never knew any deaf pple in my life
and never witnessed their conversation with the hearing via lipreading, sure.. ..:roll:

I have never ever met any deaf person even with the best lip reading skills
who would make lip reading as easy
as it is portrayed on S@B.

Daphne goes as far as she is barely looking at pple who speak to her,
they also start speaking to her before she even turns to them fully
or lifts her head up, so - please, okay!,
and pple are speaking to her without any particular effort to make their
lips form the words clearly.

For example the actress who plays Bay's mom (I forgot her name at the mo)
she barely moves her lips,
so don't tell me she is easily readable.

I myself depend on lipreading in huge part, so I know what's like lipreading.
I wouldn't understand without it even with my HAs on.

I was born at night but not last night, so go suck these eggs yourself, ppl.

Fuzzy

About the lipreading. Sure in real life many of you know how that worked however, for a tv show or a movie, the actor must only know his or her lines and not worry about the others so when Katie has a line, she may or may NOT read anybody's lips and then she says her line. It is called scripted tv show (scripted movie).

I have acted before on stage and I do not worry about other people's lines and only know a clue what next to stay then I said my line.

Another thing is called improv. Actors interract with audience for some improvs out there, they would hear lines or just seeing someone saying something then come up with another silly line. I had an audition to do improv for a Renaissance Festival (its an interactive outdoor summer drama) and when a person says something, I come up with something silly to say. Not necessarily need to read lips. My role was supposed to be a homeless disabled character that would come up to fans of Renaissance era and play out. (they cut many of us because they could not raise funds enough for us) It would have been fun but I have done other acting here and there (even in Central America). Lipreading. not to worry. Know your lines.

Now, that is why those actors in the show knew their lines, not to read lips. Some pretend to do so. Remember, its only tv!

Ummm, right now I am seeing more tv shows with merely 12 to 18 episodes rather than 24 episodes. A few of them have that many these days. Sure, yes, the 50's had about 30 episodes or even more! The rising cost and because of more cable channels and less people are watching tv/cable, as well as fewer advertising on TV caused the number of episodes per show go down. They are splitting shows to two halves per season. For example, it could run for 2 months or 8 episodes then go on hiatus until six months later and run another 2 more months to have season ending. Did you noticed that the show, "Switch at Birth" ran like 2 to 3 months? I did not count but noticed its short run recently.

You know, I've been thinking along the same lines. :gpost: Even the networks like Fox are doing this. And it is irritating as all heck to me! :giggle: I also notice a lot of "final season" stuff going on, too. :( I guess that is the way it's going to be with the economy. :hmm:

You know, I've been thinking along the same lines. :gpost: Even the networks like Fox are doing this. And it is irritating as all heck to me! :giggle: I also notice a lot of "final season" stuff going on, too. :( I guess that is the way it's going to be with the economy. :hmm:

Yeah, blame on Fox for the shortened seasons of shows because of AMERICAN IDOL! Grr! American Idol runs like 2 times a week for quite a while. Season ends soon after it ran like 18 weeks or so. First few weeks are auditions cross the country on tv a few times a week then 3 times a week for 2 weeks I think.. then twice a week for 12 weeks. That means like over 30 times on tv! Too much American Idol! They really pushed Bones to hiatus for a couple of months then back to Mondays as The Finder moved to Fridays as they introduced Touch on time slot originally for Bones! Fox messed up.

I think they need to reduce American Idol to just once a week with elimination at start of the show following week long of voting. They have another problem with the voting system and thats another story to talk about, not here.

My wife who is hearing is crazy about American Idol. I am sick of that show. LOL!

UGH! We don't watch Idol. Not our "cup of tea." Blecch! Many stations seem to be cutting seasons short, only 6-8 shows. And some long running ones they are killing off with a "final season." UGH! :ugh: Depending more & more on our freebie library dvds and Netflix dvds. Less on series. Why get "hooked" on a series when they do that? So not worth it. :roll:

Wirelessly posted

Mimsy said:
I never heard of this show. What network is it on?

ABCFamily. You can see entire 1st season @ their web site, complete w/ captions. :)

I think I will be starting to watch "Switched at Birth" tomorrow afternoon or on Tuesday evening for the first time. It will be shown on Spark channel on the satellite dish (Shaw Direct). It will probably shown for a while like a month as it is free for the time being. So I am looking forward to watching it. I hope I will like it. :hmm:

Back