Switched at Birth and our children

As long as our kids do not cry over spilt milk, all is well.

This is a good show and it puts awareness out there, I have watched it from the beginning and a lot of things have been hit in this show. This was a show that I believe Marlee Matlin first started to come up with. Daphne in the show is Deaf in real life with Menieres Disease as well as Emmit and Marlee, well we know she is. It is meant to be a teen drama much like everything on ABC family. As far as some signs being wrong or off, there are different signs for different things sometimes depending on where you live.... No, not everything is perfect in it, not everyone will agree... But its a good start, before there was nothing like this out there... I enjoy it :) I think others who haven't seen it will enjoy it also. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)

I watched it last night for the first time. Not my cup of tea, but it wasn't a bad show.

Like CBE, I have watched the entire series from the beginning. A deaf friend received captioned DVDs (no audio) from another friend and passed them onto me (it was not televised in my area). Now, this season, I am downloading each episode and continue to enjoy the show for what it is :). My daughter caught some of an episode with me a while back and is interested in seeing the series. Fortunately, we just discovered it was picked up by a network in our area and began airing the season one episodes two weeks ago - she is going to start watching them. I think the positives of the show far outweight any negatives. Education comes in many forms and I think this is a one step in the right direction.

Thing is, if it were to be completely realistic and as an educational approach, it'd fall more along the lines of a documentary and you know how those go.
Probably not many people would be interested in watching it. Who wants to see a hearing/deaf person clarifying information over each time something was not understood? Nobody wants to spend much time watching someone ask someone to repeat something either. Bay makes learning sign look easy.

It is made as a drama so it can at least earn revenue to keep it going. Matlin gets paid to entertain, deaf education probably not so much. I would imagine the same goes for Beardy.

The show being able to bring out some common themes in deaf culture is a plus, it is something that at the least gets the ball rolling.

All true enough,
but still, they could made at least the first few episodes more into communication barrier and struggle, no?

Fuzzy

All in good time. There are many more episodes to come yet.

Yes, there's an order of 32 episodes for the first season. That's a lot of episodes for a single season. Nowadays, 22 episodes is the standard. Back in the 50s and 60s, it used to be common for a TV show to have a total of 32 to 38 episodes per season. Now it's 22 episodes, very few would go to 24-26 episodes.

Ugh! I keep making a point to see this show but I keep forgetting when it airs. Shame on me.

Ugh! I keep making a point to see this show but I keep forgetting when it airs. Shame on me.

Do you have any way to record it, though?
Better yet, pre-record the entire series?

Fuzzy

How about investing in recordable PVR cable box- granted, this way you can't take it with you unless you record it further onto a DVD or CD
but at least you will have an option of recording programs in advance,
and depending on your cable provider maybe you can also
get a good deal on a high speed internet, telephone and channel packages, too?..

I think you can buy a used pvr box on Craigslist, too.

Only make sure it is not a stolen one before you make a purchase -
- simply ask for s serial number, then call your cable company asking if they know if that one was ever reported stolen.

something like this:
77873_400x400.jpg

For example only -
this is what I found for Canada
30 bucks only probably recordable
Telus Optik PVR

Fuzzy

My two options for TV where I plan to move to is either ArkWest TV or SuddenLink.

I'm leaning towards ArkWest as it is a local company and they offer a triple play package that includes IPTV, Internet, and landline phone all under one bill. Knowing my limitations financially I will be opting for the cheapest tier available.

Im not sure if they offer a DVR service or not - once I get moved and settled in I will ask about this. I don't want to invest in anything specific yet, at least not until after the move.

All true enough,
but still, they could made at least the first few episodes more into communication barrier and struggle, no?

Fuzzy

Pilot episodes always decide a most important fate of a show - if it runs a few more times after that. ;)

You could watch it on the abcfamily website. They used to have the episodes online at least... not sure if they still do.

Dixie, I don't know about USA but here in Canada you specifically request
for PVR box services, as you need to pay extra for.

However I LOVE it! With the service I have I can simultaneously record two shows at once, three if I don't watch live TV at the same time.

I can schedule recordings well ahead of time, and thanks to this feature I don't have to miss movies or shows I want to see anymore.
You can set "record series" and it will automatically record the entire series for you while you set it once.

The only thing - as I've said you can't take the PVR with you, as it is not CD or videotape type of device.
It's just a box you plug into your TV and it's sort of is " in there".
But I suppose if you have a recordable DVD or even old VHS or maybe even if you connect it to your computer?? you can record it onto something portable, too.

The only thing I suppose that can beat regulat DVR or here PVR, is TiVo -
I am not sure how much it cost, though

TiVo Premiere: Smart DVR, Brilliant TV - TiVo
Drool.gif

Whatever you choose, good luck with it!

Fuzzy

If I am moving soon, why even bother with the hassle and expense of a PVR if I can't take it with me? Again, we have standard cable where I live now, where I hope to move, I can have either standard cable or IPTV, satellite dish is not allowed. I will just have to do without the convenience until after I move and get settled in. It didn't kill me not to have it before I don't think it will kill me to not have it a bit longer.

Just saying it would be dumb to go into the expense of something now only to not be able to use it later.

The show was nominated for five teen choice awards and is very popular. I don't think many kids think it's 'retarded' because of the deaf aspect- maybe more because it's got that whole 'girl teen romance drama' aspect and kids don't want to admit they like it.

When I was a kid I loved 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. At school NO ONE would admit they watched and liked it. We all called it stupid and acted like we didn't like it. Despite that, every girl I knew watched every single episode. It was like a secret indulgence that everyone was too embarrassed to say they liked because it was cheesy and silly. I wonder if it isn't the same with this show because I know the show isn't hurting for ratings.

I have had a few of the young people I work with ask me questions about my hearing loss, very sincerely, because they are curious after seeing the show and want to learn ASL or want to tell me about how cute they think 'Emmett' is. Honestly, I think some kids are seeing the show and *just* realizing that deaf people are normal people too, so it's eye opening on some level. The show could be done better but, it's a fun show and I think it's nice to have some deaf and hard of hearing actors on screen.

The show was nominated for five teen choice awards and is very popular. I don't think many kids think it's 'retarded' because of the deaf aspect- maybe more because it's got that whole 'girl teen romance drama' aspect and kids don't want to admit they like it.

When I was a kid I loved 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. At school NO ONE would admit they watched and liked it. We all called it stupid and acted like we didn't like it. Despite that, every girl I knew watched every single episode. It was like a secret indulgence that everyone was too embarrassed to say they liked because it was cheesy and silly. I wonder if it isn't the same with this show because I know the show isn't hurting for ratings.

I have had a few of the young people I work with ask me questions about my hearing loss, very sincerely, because they are curious after seeing the show and want to learn ASL or want to tell me about how cute they think 'Emmett' is. Honestly, I think some kids are seeing the show and *just* realizing that deaf people are normal people too, so it's eye opening on some level. The show could be done better but, it's a fun show and I think it's nice to have some deaf and hard of hearing actors on screen.

It's different for kids in school who have parents who have any difference.

It's common for their peers to single them out to pick on for just such a reason.

Back