Sulfur/Sulfa Allergy

St John Wort will not help anybody with bipolar disorder.

St. John's Wort - treating depression

Is there scientific evidence that supports the use of St. John's wort for depression?
There is some scientific evidence that St. John's wort is helpful in treating mild to moderate depression. However, two large studies, one sponsored by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), showed that the herb was no more effective than placebo in treating major depression of moderate severity. NCCAM is currently studying the use of St. John's wort in a wider spectrum of mood disorders, including minor depression.

The depression associated with bipolar disorder is severe, so taking this herb would be like taking water for the illness. Ineffective. Incidently, I'm also treated for bipolar disorder.

At any rate, we're swaying off the point now. Sorry to have hijacked your thread, Hear Again.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming. :)

I am curious this one. Do you take Zoloft or Prozac?

As long as your medicines help you to feel comfortable which is really important to you. I am aware that I have read some of your posts in other threads. No problem. Thankful that many of us have some medicines that help us to feel better in many ways.

:ty: for understanding. I'm doing very, very well on my meds, but due to the nature of bipolar, they will need to be continually adjusted.

Meds do not cure bipolar. (As of yet, there is no cure for bipolar disorder.)

Instead, they relieve and reduce symptoms (i.e. mania, depression and in my case, voices, delusions and paranoia).

I think I told her that St. John's Wort that might help her, but that is part of herb that could interact her medicine so it is probably not worth for her to take the herb.

St. John's Wort will not help me or have any effect on my bipolar. The only effective treatments for bipolar are a combination of meds and therapy.

There have been claims since 1980 that natural remedies (i.e. True Hope) will cure bipolar, but the fact is, they don't. If someone says that supplements "cured" them of bipolar, chances are very likely that they didn't have bipolar in the first place or if they did, it was a very mild case (i.e. cyclothymia).

As far as Medicare is concerned, they will not pay for someone to see a homeopathic doctor since homeopathy has not been proven effective in treating various health conditions.

St John Wort will not help anybody with bipolar disorder.

St. John's Wort - treating depression

Is there scientific evidence that supports the use of St. John's wort for depression?
There is some scientific evidence that St. John's wort is helpful in treating mild to moderate depression. However, two large studies, one sponsored by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), showed that the herb was no more effective than placebo in treating major depression of moderate severity. NCCAM is currently studying the use of St. John's wort in a wider spectrum of mood disorders, including minor depression.

The depression associated with bipolar disorder is severe, so taking this herb would be like taking water for the illness. Ineffective. Incidently, I'm also treated for bipolar disorder.

At any rate, we're swaying off the point now. Sorry to have hijacked your thread, Hear Again.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming. :)

This is true Ocean and :ty: for the link. :)

As you know, depression due to bipolar tends to be severe in nature and must be controlled by taking a mood stabilizer, antipsychotic and/or anti-depressant.

Natural remedies like St. John's Wort may help mild forms of depression, but they do nothing to improve severe depression caused by bipolar which can be debilitating or suicidal in terms of the way it presents itself.

One also needs to remember that when someone with bipolar is depressed, it is because of a biological condition which does not allow them to use traditional methods that are typically used to improve mild or moderate depression.

I didn't say a homeopathic is cure for everyone.

But you did imply that it could be used to treat bipolar disorder.

I don't want anyone reading this thread to mistakingly think that bipolar can be treated with homeopathic remedies because it can't. The only form of treatment approved by the FDA for bipolar are a combination of meds and therapy.

Furthermore, research has proven that when bipolar is left untreated (i.e. without meds), a person is at risk for experiencing increasingly severe manic episodes as they age.

This was certainly the case for me. According to my psychiatrist and therapist, I started showing clear signs of bipolar at age 20, but wasn't officially diagnosed until age 35 when I had my first manic/psychotic episode.

The attending psychiatrist who oversaw my treatment when I was hospitalized at the time said I would not have experienced that episode if I had been given appropriate treatment prior to then.

This is true Ocean and :ty: for the link. :)

As you know, depression due to bipolar tends to be severe in nature and must be controlled by taking a mood stabilizer, antipsychotic and/or anti-depressant.

Natural remedies like St. John's Wort may help mild forms of depression, but they do nothing to improve severe depression caused by bipolar which can be debilitating or suicidal in terms of the way it presents itself.

One also needs to remember that when someone with bipolar is depressed, it is because of a biological condition which does not allow them to use traditional methods that are typically used to improve mild or moderate depression.

That is interesting. I wish that a medicine can give you a miracle at once so that it would never happen again. You know what I mean.

That is interesting. I wish that a medicine can give you a miracle at once so that it would never happen again. You know what I mean.

:ty:

My meds do a pretty good job of keeping my moods stable. It is only recently that I was put on the correct med regimen, but I'm doing much better than I have been over the past 1.5 years. Given the nature of bipolar, I will always need med adjustments, but if my meds help reduce the overall severity of my symptoms, I'm satisfied.

In fact, that is not true. All homeopathic has no side effect. Most psychiatrists didn't tell you that because it's their job to be in the business. But, you don't have to take homeopathic - just for your information.

Homeopathic remedies can most certainly have side effects. It is a myth that because they are considered "natural" there are no side effects associated with them.

Homeopathic remedies can most certainly have side effects. It is a myth that because they are considered "natural" there are no side effects associated with them.

Not true. That's because the doctors did not want you to know that.

Just because they may not have adverse effects (which, btw, I do not believe... Everything has a side effect in one form or another, I believe....) that doesn't mean it is suitable to treat every illness there is with a homeopathic remedy.

It most certainly is true. One can have an anaphylactic reaction to a homeopathic treatment the same way they can to standard medical treatments.

Just because they may not have adverse effects (which, btw, I do not believe... Everything has a side effect in one form or another, I believe....) that doesn't mean it is suitable to treat every illness there is with a homeopathic remedy.

Exactly. Complications of the disease process is often a side effect of homeopathic remedies.

Like cures like
For example, if the symptoms of your cold are similar to poisoning by mercury, then mercury would be your homeopathic remedy.

Mercury is toxic. There are many known side effects of mercury ingestion, and if one also has a compromised immune system, a homeopathic remedy such as taking mercury could result in severe side effects for the individual.Minimal Dose
The remedy is taken in an extremely dilute form; normally one part of the remedy to around 1,000,000,000,000 parts of water.

If it is that dilute, it is not potent enough to create a cure. If it is not that dilute, you risk side effects.

The Single Remedy
No matter how many symptoms are experienced, only one remedy is taken, and that remedy will be aimed at all those symptoms.

No one remedy treats all symptoms. And treating symptoms is only one aspect of medical treatment. More important is to treat the disease process. Just because one's symptoms have been reduced doesn't mean that the disease process isn't still operating in the body.

It most certainly is true. One can have an anaphylactic reaction to a homeopathic treatment the same way they can to standard medical treatments.

That's right. The nurses of my GP and psychiatrist both told me that any medication or treatment which contain sulfa/sulfur can have life threatening consequences for me.

Like cures like
For example, if the symptoms of your cold are similar to poisoning by mercury, then mercury would be your homeopathic remedy.

Mercury is toxic. There are many known side effects of mercury ingestion, and if one also has a compromised immune system, a homeopathic remedy such as taking mercury could result in severe side effects for the individual.Minimal Dose
The remedy is taken in an extremely dilute form; normally one part of the remedy to around 1,000,000,000,000 parts of water.

If it is that dilute, it is not potent enough to create a cure. If it is not that dilute, you risk side effects.

The Single Remedy
No matter how many symptoms are experienced, only one remedy is taken, and that remedy will be aimed at all those symptoms.

No one remedy treats all symptoms. And treating symptoms is only one aspect of medical treatment. More important is to treat the disease process. Just because one's symptoms have been reduced doesn't mean that the disease process isn't still operating in the body.

This is true.

Furthermore, bipolar is a biological illness for which natural remedies do not work.

In my case, I have atypical symptoms with my bipolar that can only be relieved by psychotropic meds.

Hear Again,

My allergy is Sulfa. It was happened when I was 17 years old. My old doctor gave me an antibioloic for sinus infection. Next day, I got out of bed and walk to bathroom. My head look at mirror. I got scream. My whole skin body were redness rashes and itchy. I was absent at school due to homesick. My mom took me to doctor appointment. My diagnosed of Sulfa allergy. I covered my head and face with my sweatshirt hood with pull lace to hole like South Park. I didn't want to show my face in public. It was very redness. My mom thought it was funny.

The important for you to put your allergic history on your medical record to show doctor know. I must put my allergic on medical record. That's very important!

Yup... Read the labels most of them are not actually approved. and come with warning labels.

such as...

"These statements have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases."

and

other warnings like..

This may interact with other medication. Speak to your doctor...

If you have any other illnesses speak with your doctor.

Etc..

I do believe some Homeopathic remedies may help some. I am not against it. Just for some that are on a lot of medication and have serious issues need to truly consult a M.D.

Back